2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it really a good time to buy this car??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 10:14 PM

Is it really a good time to buy this car??

Well as we all know, GM's condition is borderline, fiat wants there european assets which are there most profitable. and if GM were to go belly up, what would that mean for the new cam owners. would it be wise to wait and see what happens to GM before dropping the bill on one of these?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 AM

i think it's somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy. If people stay away from buying GM vehicles until they see what happens... it will make worse things happen for GM. The Camaro has the potential to be a bright spot for GM right now if people love the car enough to set their fears aside and get their butts into one! The Government already announced that they will back all of the new car warranties in a worst case scenario
Old 05-06-2009, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Go out and buy a new Camaro! GM is not going to go belly up and totally disappear. Sure there are a lot of concerns about the current state of the economy and our American Automotive Manufacturers in general - but I firmly believe we can all make a difference. Call me the eternal optimist, yes - this country has been down before, as well as our Automotive Manufacturers, but we'll be coming back better than ever!

Ain't no muscle like Detroit muscle.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:42 AM

If GM liquidated, there would still be an aftermarket to supply parts and there are companies that provide extended warranties. Also, the government has stated that they will back all of GM's warranties if the worst case scenario happened, which it won't. Amtrak never makes money, yet the government still funds it. The same thing would happen with GM. The government would completely take control of GM and subsidize it. But if that happens, you will never see a car like the Camaro ever from GM again. So, go out and buy the car now and have fun with it! And be sure to do a burnout around any environmentalist to show them how you feel.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 AM

I may be too optimistic as well but hopefully the more Camaros sold, the more profit GM will see from the car. I don't think Camaro will be the car that can save GM but it is proof that GM can put out a car that should appeal to a broad spectrum of buyers. Its got the power and moves to keep its traditional fans happy. At the same time, it has the style and the fit and finish to hopefully lure some buyers away from foreign built luxury sport coupes.

I also hope it is profitable because if GM goes into bankruptcy and the Camaro isn't making money, there will not be a good case to keep the car in the product lineup.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 AM

Unhappy gm shipping jobs overseas

I have been trying to decide whether to order the new camaro and I just have not been able to pull the trigger. Something inside me tells me not to. GM is obviously is an antiquated behemoth that has to go into bankruptcy. Although the Camaro seems to be a good car, it's what I hear now that GM will do after bankruptcy that bothers me. In the news this morning it is reported that after they come out of bankruptcy they are going to move many of their car building operations overseas because it is cheaper. They are looking at South Korea, Mexico and even China. And the government knows this. Is there something wrong with this picture? We are paying to bail GM out and they are moving most of their jobs overseas? That leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have a friend who is a loyal Chevy owner. In the past 2 years he has bought a HHR and a Cobalt. He told me the other day after he heard this that he would never buy GM again. I am by no means a Ford guy but I respect them for not taking taxpayer money. They have not sold their sold to the devil like GM has. I have always bought Chevys but now my loyalty has been injured if not permanently destroyed by what I hear. First the government fires Rick Wagoner, bails them out and will let them ship most of their jobs overseas. GM now stands for government motors in my book!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Chevrolet sells way too many cars to go under and has a huge following of devoted customers. Worst case scenario with a GM bankruptcy, I could see Chevrolet Motors becoming its own company. Who knows how long this run of the Camaro will last, but I say get one while you can and enjoy it. There will always be parts available, especially for an enthusiasts vehicle such as the Camaro.

Last edited by bond2; 05-10-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by bond2
Chevrolet sells way too many cars to go under and has a huge following of devoted customers. Worst case scenario with a GM bankruptcy, I could see Chevrolet Motors becoming its own company. The Who knows how long this run of the Camaro will last, but I say get one while you can and enjoy it. There will always be parts available, especially for an enthusiasts vehicle such as the Camaro.
Pete Townshend won't return my calls...
Old 05-11-2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by 20102lt
I have been trying to decide whether to order the new camaro and I just have not been able to pull the trigger. Something inside me tells me not to. GM is obviously is an antiquated behemoth that has to go into bankruptcy. Although the Camaro seems to be a good car, it's what I hear now that GM will do after bankruptcy that bothers me. In the news this morning it is reported that after they come out of bankruptcy they are going to move many of their car building operations overseas because it is cheaper. They are looking at South Korea, Mexico and even China. And the government knows this. Is there something wrong with this picture? We are paying to bail GM out and they are moving most of their jobs overseas? That leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I have a friend who is a loyal Chevy owner. In the past 2 years he has bought a HHR and a Cobalt. He told me the other day after he heard this that he would never buy GM again. I am by no means a Ford guy but I respect them for not taking taxpayer money. They have not sold their sold to the devil like GM has. I have always bought Chevys but now my loyalty has been injured if not permanently destroyed by what I hear. First the government fires Rick Wagoner, bails them out and will let them ship most of their jobs overseas. GM now stands for government motors in my book!
It's a world economy. Especially in the auto industry. Major auto manufacturers source their parts from all over the world. And car are assembled all over the world. Subaru makes Camrys in Indiana for Toyota. GM cannot compete by building cars in the US with it's current labor agreements. GM can, however, build a good car and turn a profit. The best selling luxury car in China is a Buick! The bankruptcy is necessary, as painful as it may be. GM will be a better off afterward. Why would you even consider a Camaro? Camaros are built in Canada! Food for thought.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:37 AM

If you want one get it now because the run may be short lived. I've even read about them stopping production of the Corvette which would really be sad to me as my own personal dream of driving off in a brand new one would be dead... But the above poster is right about the overseas job thing... How the hell can you have an AMERICAN car built overseas??? WTF!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:20 AM

nope. im in. ill take one and take my chances. if they do go belly up(which they wont) concider the car a collector limited edition.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:25 PM

I say it is safe to buy a Camaro right now for many reasons BUY NOT because the government has promised to back car warranties. Please! If you allow the government to back your car warranty like they promise, there is probably some fine print that says they own your house, choose where you go to church and how many miles you can put on your ride annually.

Think again if you're looking to the government for salvation. People have been doing that for the last 75 years and it hasn't worked yet. I don't think they'll get lucky with the automotive industry.

Have you seen everything else they're tried to run? The only thing they're good at is Military... and even that is in jeopardy right now.

The Camaro is safe because even if GM does "go away" they will only do so to re-organize and come back stronger, smarter and better.

The good news is that this Camaro is selling strongly for them, and providing a good amount of jobs for people. The bad news is that it is made in Canada!

Kevin Webb
Old 05-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Since when does buying a fast pony car have anything to do with rational decision-making? I've got two kids in college, one in law school, and I'm looking to buy a new SS. If you're really concerned about GM's viability -- that 2010 Camaro will become an instant classic if GM goes belly up!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisFrez
Go out and buy a new Camaro! GM is not going to go belly up and totally disappear. Sure there are a lot of concerns about the current state of the economy and our American Automotive Manufacturers in general - but I firmly believe we can all make a difference. Call me the eternal optimist, yes - this country has been down before, as well as our Automotive Manufacturers, but we'll be coming back better than ever!

Ain't no muscle like Detroit muscle.
Agreed!
Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 PM

After seeing the news reports today about the changes in fuel milage laws nationwide it may be even a better time to buy. I would hate to think that Muscle Cars would have to get a minimum 35mpg. Can you see it now...a hybrid Camaro.