2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R.i.p. Z/28

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by HuJass
They just need to take an SS, remove a bunch of the luxury items, drop in the LS7, and call it the Z/28.
this I agree with!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
well -- we love HuJass-- but trust me - putting an LS7 in a Camaro would price it out of site...............there are other ways to do a Z28.....

All: it ain't dead! It's on hold. We must rethink EVERY entry -- car/truck/crossover -- simply go look at the sales figures for July and August - if that isn't a 'reality slap in the face' -- nothing is!
Keep the block... heads and size perse... Loose all the exotics and assemble it via a production line. let the aftermarket take care of the rest.. but having a 7L there... will help a ton!
Old 09-05-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Why not simply use the 480hp hot cam version of the LS3, add a free flowing exhaust (GM has already hinted a dealer installed version will be available), bigger brakes, sway bars etc? Heck with the hot cam LS3, exhaust and a better intake, GM should be able to make north of 500hp.
The problem isn't with the power, it's with the weight. If they can make it lighter AND more powerful, by all means go ahead, but I'd take the same 422 horse LS3 in a Z28 that equals the V6 car in terms of curb weight. The question is whether or not that's even possible.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 AM

Why not buy a GTO and transplant the engine?
Old 09-05-2008, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
The problem isn't with the power, it's with the weight. If they can make it lighter AND more powerful, by all means go ahead, but I'd take the same 422 horse LS3 in a Z28 that equals the V6 car in terms of curb weight. The question is whether or not that's even possible.

Precisely my view. At this point, I'm *almost* ready to write this gen off regarding it's appropriateness for a Z/28 package, and wait for Alpha.

Losing enough weight to deliver a "proper" Z/28, would essentially require a total re-engineering of Zeta. And I'd doubt GM would give this architecture much more than two nickels to rub together at this point.

On the flip side, I believe General Motors will soon start investing heavily, both in money and manpower, in Alpha. This will be GM's new Global RWD Program. Smaller and lighter than Zeta or Sigma. And they plan to go toe to toe with the best in the world with it. No excuses.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson

Camaro SS Auto 3913 lbs
Camaro v6 LT Auto 3750 lbs
- 163 lbs.

Camaro SS Manual 3860 lbs
Camaro v6 LT Manual 3741 lbs
- 119 lbs.

-GM/Chevy.com

That's not a very big difference in curb weight. I'd say if GM already builds one Camaro at that weight there could be a potential to get a Z28 there. Send the Camaro to Z06 school. Slim down the glass and get the balsa wood.

Everyone probably has a certain curb weight number in their head like many do for HP. Yours is certainly more possible than say 3600 lbs for Zeta.

Has the high curb weight caused some to make concessions like we do saying that $3.65 gas is a good price!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Has the high curb weight caused some to make concessions like we do saying that $3.65 gas is a good price!
Interesting. In a word, yes.

I figure if GM can't give me a 3500 pound Camaro, they could split the difference and give me a ~3700 pound Z28. Certainly not ideal mind you, but given the architecture we're working with, I would say that is acceptable and would probably renew my interest -- especially considering the alternative of a supercharged car well north of 2 tons.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Precisely my view. At this point, I'm *almost* ready to write this gen off regarding it's appropriateness for a Z/28 package, and wait for Alpha.

Losing enough weight to deliver a "proper" Z/28, would essentially require a total re-engineering of Zeta. And I'd doubt GM would give this architecture much more than two nickels to rub together at this point.

On the flip side, I believe General Motors will soon start investing heavily, both in money and manpower, in Alpha. This will be GM's new Global RWD Program. Smaller and lighter than Zeta or Sigma. And they plan to go toe to toe with the best in the world with it. No excuses.
Aren't you making a huge assumption that the next gen Camaro will even be on Alpha? Up to this point its been nothing but speculation, most of it on your part.

I'd rather live with the 5th gen for a while before selling it down the river as you have. Everything indicates that GM fully intends to give buyers the opportunity to personalize and accessorize this Camaro more than any other in history. Even if there is no Z/28 (which I don't believe will happen), this Camaro is still going to out perform every one that preceded it.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:12 PM

Aren't you making a huge assumption that the next gen Camaro will even be on Alpha?
Nope. If there is a next Camaro -- it will be on Alpha.

I'd rather live with the 5th gen for a while before selling it down the river as you have.
Your choice Jeff and with my blessing.

Actually, my feeling is that a whole segment of buyers have been sold down the river here. I guess it's all how you look at things.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:26 AM

Okay, we KNOW the weight of the car now. We KNOW what it looks like. We KNOW how much horse power it will make (give or take a few ponies). We also KNOW (at least most of us) that the Camaro isn't going to LOOSE 300 pounds between now and next April. Can we stop beating the dead horse and either embrace the new Camaro for what it is? The best handling, fastest production Camao in history. (although heavy) Or move on?
Can't we be more constructive with our bitching and try and get GM to use a REAL blue (like Electron, or Stryker) instead of that pantywaiste Aqua Blue?
Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by christianjax
Okay, we KNOW the weight of the car now. We KNOW what it looks like. We KNOW how much horse power it will make (give or take a few ponies). We also KNOW (at least most of us) that the Camaro isn't going to LOOSE 300 pounds between now and next April. Can we stop beating the dead horse and either embrace the new Camaro for what it is? The best handling, fastest production Camao in history. (although heavy) Or move on?
Can't we be more constructive with our bitching and try and get GM to use a REAL blue (like Electron, or Stryker) instead of that pantywaiste Aqua Blue?
The usual suspects on this forum would bitch if they won the lottery about having to pay the taxes on it. I guess they can't see their constant whining isn't helping get anything accomplished. The gave us a Camaro again after 7 long *** years and before they've even drivin it they're moaning about every detail. I agree with the color choices argument, give us electron blue!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:18 AM

A consumer has the right to complain....
They are the ones buying or not buying the product.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:19 AM

The new Ferarri 599 is 4000 pounds and I would bet that you couldnt tell by driving it (610hp V12/47-53 front/rear weight ratio).
Old 09-08-2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by boomer78
A consumer has the right to complain....
They are the ones buying or not buying the product.
I agree. But complaining about things that WILL NOT CHANGE like weight just get's old. Complain about something that isn't set in stone yet. Like that hideous Aqua Blue. It worked for the Torque gauge didn't it? But all the bitching in the world will NOT change the weight of the new Camaro. The Zeta platform will produce car weighing what the Camaro will weigh. Deal with it or wait for the Alpha platform.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:23 AM

I will now begin production of my new million dollar idea!

I will make replacement badges! Peel off those nasty SS badges and stick on my shiny new Z28 ones!

GENIUS!

Muhahahah...

Quick Reply: R.i.p. Z/28