2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the SERIOUS auto buffs

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:22 AM

Question for the SERIOUS auto buffs

In light of Scott's passing statement that the Camaro concept is booked solid for the next year and a half, it makes me wonder this:

In history, has there ever been a concept car that has been displayed, video taped, put in movies, photo shot, commercialized and actually test driven, as much as the Camaro concept? It seems the concept will have 50,000 miles on it before its all said and done. While I am not that old(38), I can't recall a concept in my lifetime that has been poked, prodded and put out to the public for inspection like the Camaro concept has.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Re: Question for the SERIOUS auto buffs

Thats very true....And that only proves what the faithful have been saying here since 2001…….IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER GONE ON HIATIS I'm still happy though how it turned out...
Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 AM

To tell you the truth, i can't think of one either.

But i also cant think of another car that is so Iconic to america.

Even the Vette isnt as much of a symbol.

Not to mention, its the coolest looking concept ive seen in a the last 20 years.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:25 PM

i agree it shouldnt have gone on its hiatus.. but perhaps it is going to be a better car because of it.

As for your question about there ever being a concept as poked and prodded.. i dunno.. either way though.. it is something for us to speculate on..

im still in the very great minority of hoping for a sometime next year production, but its probably impossible. who knows though.
-steve
Old 07-11-2006, 12:31 PM

Bet the concept feels like a farmer that has been abducted by aliens, what with all the poking and prodding. But one thing is for sure, they are killing thier trade-in value with all those miles.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
Thats very true....And that only proves what the faithful have been saying here since 2001…….IT SHOULD HAVE NEVER GONE ON HIATIS I'm still happy though how it turned out...
I have to disagree. If it took a hiatus to get us this car and rid of the issues with the last gen I am happy
Old 07-11-2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
I have to disagree. If it took a hiatus to get us this car and rid of the issues with the last gen I am happy
Well true.....I blame old Mgmt....
Old 07-11-2006, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by greg_nate
In light of Scott's passing statement that the Camaro concept is booked solid for the next year and a half, it makes me wonder this:

In history, has there ever been a concept car that has been displayed, video taped, put in movies, photo shot, commercialized and actually test driven, as much as the Camaro concept? It seems the concept will have 50,000 miles on it before its all said and done. While I am not that old(38), I can't recall a concept in my lifetime that has been poked, prodded and put out to the public for inspection like the Camaro concept has.
That's easy.

The 1955 Lincoln Futura.

Did a serious stint at auto shows for some time. It had at least 2 customizing jobs, in the end was given to George Barris and redone & had a final life as the Batmobile in the 60s TV series.

Went again on the auto show circuit and made special public appearences at fairs, conventions, etc...... over a 12 year period!

Who's yer daddy?

Lincoln Futura:
http://www.1966batmobile.com/background.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Futura

I'm only a few years older than you.

Last edited by guionM; 07-11-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

I doubt that the concept is actually really racking up many miles. Maybe a few hundred by the end of the year. Most of the miles it travels occur with it riding quietly in the back of a truck.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
That's easy.

The 1955 Lincoln Futura.

Did a serious stint at auto shows for some time. It had at least 2 customizing jobs, in the end was given to George Barris and redone & had a final life as the Batmobile in the 60s TV series.

Went again on the auto show circuit and made special public appearences at fairs, conventions, etc...... over a 12 year period!

Who's yer daddy?

Lincoln Futura:
http://www.1966batmobile.com/background.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Futura

I'm only a few years older than you.
Many bows to the auto god !

Given this new info, I'll have to rephrase my question to concept cars that actually went into production. If at first you don't succeed, change the rules!

Last edited by greg_nate; 07-11-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:12 PM

They hyped the bejeesus out of the Solstice before it went on sale. It was even on The Apprentice, before it was out. They even showed it at NAIAS more than once too. I wonder how many concept cars can boast that little feat.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:50 PM

I think I can one-up you guy....

Harley Earl drove his '39(?) LaSabre concept car everyday for (I think) the better part of a year. Plus, it was one of the first true 'dream cars' to come out of detroit and was part of what started the autorama (autoshow) concept.

I believe that LaSabre is still all original and in great running condition.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by General Z
They hyped the bejeesus out of the Solstice before it went on sale. It was even on The Apprentice, before it was out. They even showed it at NAIAS more than once too. I wonder how many concept cars can boast that little feat.
I believe the one in the Apprentice was a preproduction car. The hype surrounding the Solstice was the production model. GM invited the press on drives of the engineering mules. The actual cobbled together (from J-chassis & Subaru parts) concept car did the auto show circuit for awhile, then was retired as work continued towards production.

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28

Harley Earl drove his '39(?) LaSabre concept car everyday for (I think) the better part of a year. Plus, it was one of the first true 'dream cars' to come out of detroit and was part of what started the autorama (autoshow) concept.

Ahh! Good one!

The car was actually driven quite a few miles, and I believe was actually the 1st real "concept" car. But I don't think it had the exposure the Futura did as far as film and the length of time it was in the public's eye.

If I'm not mistaken, that LeSabre is still in GM's collection, so it has been around the longest by far!

Last edited by guionM; 07-11-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28

That is such a cool car, I cant believe I forgot to mention it, good call!
Old 07-11-2006, 11:08 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Good point, Guy.

But let me say this.........and I've talked to a lot of people......

No one at GM can remember of a car getting this much attention......at least in the past 40 years. The only car that I can think can approach the attention that this car is getting would be the 84 Corvette. I don't even think the C5 got this much attention.....but then again, we unveiled it when it was ready for sale.

The Solstice and SSR got a ton of attention........but the Camaro Concept outshines them in terms of consumer interest.

Quick Reply: Question for the SERIOUS auto buffs