2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

The Pride Of Ownership.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:05 AM

Count me in, reading this thread got me going back to my earliest memories of the camaro.
As a yongster I could I could easily pick out the first gens, I loved them but I never thought I could have one, the second gens were nice but didnt make my heart stop. The car that grabbed me and never let me go was a friends 1988 IROC.
I was 12 or 13 at the time and until then hadnt really started getting into cars, all it took was for the family friend to pull in the driveway and ask me if I wanted to go for a ride. since then the thirdgen has been my first love followed very closely by the 68.
There isnt a time when I take my 91 out that I dont stop and look back at it and think DAMN that thing is hot...

I can still remember the first test drive I took in my 91 I was 17 and it was my first "real" car, I got out shaking, the feeling I get from driving it cant be explained, it makes even the worse days enjoyable. even today after almost 10 years I still get a stupid grin on my face just firing it up!

Cant wait to get that same feeling from a new car.....
Old 01-06-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
One thing you have going for you though, I.M.O. MOST GM cars do not photograph well. Even the C6 has to be shot from specific angles to capture any semblance of it's true style. It's easy to see w/ your eyes, but dam near impossible in print. It's the same way w/ the current Malibu. I was NOT impressed in pictures, after we were led to believe it was so beautifully styled. Once I saw it in person though, and it was in a fairly basic level of trim, you at once see the stance, and the huskiness of the design, and those absoulutely do NOT come out in the pix, at least none that I have seen. The 3rd and 4th gen F bodies could be shot in the most unflattering poses imaginable, same w/ the C5. Even the Concept has its unflattering angles ( the elevated rear 3/4 comes to mind where it makes the car look tall and squat). I say wait until you see it IN PERSON, and I'll bet you'll like it a lot better than what you've seen of it so far.
I think you're right CLEAN. I felt the same way about the C6 until I saw a real one. And how unflattering the 3rd gen spy pics were, and how drop dead gorgeous the first '82 Camaro looked to me, when I saw my first one in the flesh.

The undisguised pic though, can't hide behind the veil of it's a spy pic/grainy/poor light/camera phone/camouflaged excuse. It is a picture which GM officially chose to let us see. And what I see is a big chunky car which cannot hide it's fullsized sedan roots. Maybe it's just the angle or lighting or whatever. It seems to have lost alot of the proportions that made the concept so badass looking, (ie., note the distance between dash and front axle and distance between the trailing edge of the door and rear axle).

I've got my fingers crossed it looks better in the flesh though.

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-06-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by willz
. I just hope this guy will give the car more of a chance.
I said I would.......
Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 PM

I must admit that the Camaro is a wonderful phenomenon. Like Scott said, the car will cause people to scream “I want one,” just like it has in the past 40 years. My father and his brothers had the “Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie” mindset when the car came out in 1967. Being 25 and in a new career after moving to Canada, he had to settle for a used 1969 Warwick Blue Firebird. 30 years later when I was 12 years old, he took me to the local Chevrolet dealership and said, “Pick me a new car.” He was overjoyed when I picked a 1997 Polo Green Camaro. That car passed to me, and still gets me from point A to point B. It has brought my father and I close together and he is glad to see that I will have the chance he didn’t, by being able to purchase a brand new Camaro, exactly how I want it, shortly after I turn 24. I know that in our enthusiast community, everyone has a story that resembles this, where something as silly as a car has had an impact on their lives.

Scott has really touched on something when he talks about the Pride of Ownership. It's something I've observed in the time I've owned mine. We, as Camaro owners and enthusiasts, share a bond. It's something that ties us together and creates a notion camaraderie that cannot be shaken. When I’m driving my car and I see another Camaro or Firebird, it goes without fail that myself and the other driver eye up each other’s car, give a nod or a thumbs up, much like bikers do.

This pride, this love of our cars, leads to nothing but good things. It has kept us united since September of 2002 and it will keep us unified long into the future. It brings together people of all ages, ethnicities, creeds and backgrounds. It gives us something to strive for and simply by the dedication Scott, Ed and many others have shown by listening to us and reassuring us, it will help create the best car out there. With this bond that has been forged, it’s only fitting that the Camaro name means friend or comrade.

Thank you, Scott, thanks to you and all those who are making this happen.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:14 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I think you're right CLEAN. I felt the same way about the C6 until I saw a real one.

The undisguised pic though, can't hide behind the veil of it's a spy pic/grainy/poor light/camera phone/camouflaged excuse. It is a picture which GM officially chose to let us see. And what I see is a big chunky car which cannot hide it's fullsized sedan roots. Maybe it's just the angle or lighting or whatever. It seems to have lost alot of the proportions that made the concept so badass looking, (ie., note the distance between dash and front axle and distance between the trailing edge of the door and rea
Clean is right -- pics just never do a car (or truck -) justice........

Charlie -- we've known each other since when -- 1996 when you called the first time?

Let me ask you this -- what are your thoughts on the Convertible that you saw in Chicago last year? Have you seen Bumblebee in person?

If so -- trust me (I say that a lot, don't I???) -- I think you're gonna be very happy.

Go back and look at the cammo'd pics -- of Camaros sitting next to Mustangs.......look at the size -- those aren't 'chunky sedans' --

As to the pic that Ed released -- there were TONS of emails back and forth across the pond and around metro Detroit -- questioning "should we just remove the cammo? " (hell yes!) -- and perhaps "should we paint 'em all to look just like Bumblebee?" (that would cost a small fortune and we don't have time to take cars out of testing to paint 'em ....and besides, most mules are white for good reason....) -- soooooooooooo you may not like the pic he released -- but frankly, it wasn't 'staged' or done by an outside photographer -- more like 'Someone - please get out there and get a couple of pics we can release....' ....

Now -- again -- all I can ask is for you to 'have faith' -- but I also recognize your 'skeptical' nature........

In the final analysis -- I think you'll like the finished product.....

Now...that said - 1,000,000 enthused customers > Z284ever..... that sounds harsh -- but I submit to you that the response to all of the photos tends to be much more positive than the comments for C5 -- C6 -- and many other vehicles out there..........
Old 01-06-2008, 12:15 PM

And what I see is a big chunky car which cannot hide it's fullsized sedan roots. Maybe it's just the angle or lighting or whatever. It seems to have lost alot of the proportions that made the concept so badass looking, (ie., note the distance between dash and front axle and distance between the trailing edge of the door and rear axle).

I think the Camaro suffers from multiple personalty disorder in pics The size of the Camaro is very deceptive when theres no other cars around it . In a solo shot , I totally agree with u . The Camaro's wrapped up in bra's and camo didnt convey that look sitting next to the Mustangs though imo ....I was actually amazed at how it looked sitting next to them . The Camaros I felt looked a tad smaller and lower( but wider) and the Mustang was the bigger , taller , chunkier looking car.

Last edited by 90 Z28SS; 01-06-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I think the Camaro suffers from multiple personalty disorder in pics The size of the Camaro is very deceptive when theres no other cars around it . In a solo shot , I totally agree with u . The Camaro's wrapped up in bra's and camo didnt convey that look sitting next to the Mustangs though imo ....I was actually amazed at how it looked sitting next to them . The Camaros I felt looked a tad smaller and lower( but wider) and the Mustang was the bigger , taller , chunkier looking car.
Exactly! sitting next to those mustangs PROVES that the car isnt large and over weight. As soon as I saw that pic, my arms got all prickly.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Clean is right -- pics just never do a car (or truck -) justice........
I couldn't agree more. I honestly wasn't overly impressed with the C6, Tahoe, Malibu, or new Silverado by the shots of them on the internet before they came out.

In each case, I was BLOWN AWAY when I saw the cars & trucks in person.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
Exactly! sitting next to those mustangs PROVES that the car isnt large and over weight. As soon as I saw that pic, my arms got all prickly.
Your LT1 3rd gen is hot man . Theres not a day that goes by I dont miss my 90 Iroc that I swapped a LT1 into ....man
Old 01-06-2008, 12:57 PM

when I first saw the concept in person two things came to my mind
1) Holy ****!
2) wow it looks a lot smaller than the pics make it out to be.

I have no doubt that this car is going to be absolutely fantastic. Well done!!
Old 01-06-2008, 04:20 PM

I think you're right CLEAN. I felt the same way about the C6 until I saw a real one. And how unflattering the 3rd gen spy pics were, and how drop dead gorgeous the first '82 Camaro looked to me, when I saw my first one in the flesh.

The undisguised pic though, can't hide behind the veil of it's a spy pic/grainy/poor light/camera phone/camouflaged excuse. It is a picture which GM officially chose to let us see. And what I see is a big chunky car which cannot hide it's fullsized sedan roots. Maybe it's just the angle or lighting or whatever. It seems to have lost alot of the proportions that made the concept so badass looking, (ie., note the distance between dash and front axle and distance between the trailing edge of the door and rear axle).

The white color is confusing your eyes as it's supposed to. That car was built as a body in white prototype for fit and finish not photography. I've stared at a lot Camaro concept pics and there are several views and angles that don't show the cuts or creases that we know is there. Look at the pure differance between the first uncamo'd white car from the front 3/4 and now this pic.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:08 PM

I still think the face of the C6 still looks like a catfish from some angles
Old 01-06-2008, 07:01 PM

I know I've been critical of the interior in other posts, but overall the outside of the car looks awesome, and I cannot wait to drive one. I remain hopeful the interior will be toned down a bit, and its true that until you see a car in the flesh its so hard to come up with a final opinion on it. I hated the Challenger until I sat in one at the dealer show in Vegas in October. Now, I covet it...I hope to covet the Camaro too

I want to thank Scott and everyone at GM for bringing our dream back to life. Its been a long 6 years since I last saw a new Camaro on a dealer lot...
Old 01-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
Its been a long 6 years since I last saw a new Camaro on a dealer lot...
It has indeed
Old 01-06-2008, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Go back and look at the cammo'd pics -- of Camaros sitting next to Mustangs.......look at the size -- those aren't 'chunky sedans' --
Thats a really good point, I had forgotten about those pictures. First thing I noticed in those pics was how the Camaro was lower slung and more streamlined than the 'stangs.

Quick Reply: The Pride Of Ownership.....