2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar on the new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 06:08 PM

Re: OnStar on the new Camaro

Originally Posted by posaune
If it is standard and non-deletable, I may not buy a Camaro. I don't need big brother to have the ability to listen to my conversation as I drive down the road.
Yes yes , all onstar people do all day is listen in on whats going on inside everyones car . Would that be considered a little illegal . If you are thaaaaaat paranoid , its as simple as cutting the communications wire to the antenna .
Old 02-10-2006, 09:27 PM

I am that paranoid...but the camaro is too sexy to pass up...hello big brother "This is OnStar your vehicle is a safe environment...go ahead...talk about anything you want in your vehicle.. "
Old 02-10-2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Newsflash.. you don't have a "right" to be doing 140+ on a highway

Actually, I do. As long as I do not infringe upon the rights of others. If no one is on the highway, I have plenty of right.

I have the right to do anything I damn well please. I also have the right to deal with the consequences of my actions...
Old 02-11-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Abidar
Actually, I do. As long as I do not infringe upon the rights of others. If no one is on the highway, I have plenty of right.

Ok, I've just got to know....where do you see that speed limits only apply on roads w/ traffic? You say that if you whiz by the po-lease at 140 on an empty highway, that he couldn't pull you over?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:05 AM

When was Driving a right? 140 MPH or otherwise?
Old 02-11-2006, 09:54 AM

Irregardless , Onstar is not gonna contact your local police if you should happen to be doing 140 mph . Its just not gonna happen , nor do they listen in on whats going on inside your car . And besides , in my Cobalt anyways .....anytime there is any contact with Onstar , its tied with the volume on the radio . Contact with onstar = no radio volume at all . Should you stop your car from 140 , fast enuff that it may mimmick a accident situation , onstar will chime in to see if everythings alrights . You say yes , end of conversation .
Old 02-11-2006, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Ok, I've just got to know....where do you see that speed limits only apply on roads w/ traffic? You say that if you whiz by the po-lease at 140 on an empty highway, that he couldn't pull you over?
No, I'm saying I have the right to do whatever I want until I infringe upon the rights of others. The cop can pull me over... like I said-I also have the right to deal with the consequences.

Originally Posted by Demian_ls1
When was Driving a right? 140 MPH or otherwise?
Okay, you found the flaw of this argument.

Sorry guys, I was just trying to be the devil's advocate.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:21 PM

Actually you could move to Montana where there are no speed limits. Although you wouldn't get a speeding ; traveling at 140 mph may warrant a wreckless or careless driving citation.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:36 PM

Well, maybe I am paranoid, ohwell, it's my life. I just don't like the fact that it is possible.

Furthermore, IF it had it and I got a Camaro the antenna better not be visible. It takes away from the look of the car.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Abidar

I have the right to do anything I damn well please. I also have the right to deal with the consequences of my actions...
This statement = 1 of 2 things. It was either made by an idiot (sorry dude), or an extremely young,inexperienced, and uneducated person who, hopefully, will outgrow his dumbassedness. Ever cruised at 140? At that kind of speed, the slightest of errors on the driver's part or effect of mother nature can be catastrophic. And whether there is anyone else on the highway or not, if said dumbass wipes out, it infringes on the rights of all of us through higher insurance premiums and the demonization of our high performance cars as unsafe. Enjoy the power, enjoy the responsiveness, enjoy the looks. But if you want to test the legs of any car, do the responsible thing for the rest of us and yourself and pay for some track time somewhere instead of cheaping out and making a weapon of mass destruction out of a beautiful car on public highways!
Old 02-12-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by UHP-CAMARO
Could make things easy.

There are still plenty of areas not covered by Cell Towers.
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt onstar use the cellular phone network? So no cell phone service also means no onstar service? or is it satellite based?

Also, for all the people who scoff at the big-brother fearing individuals, there are some among us who dont want anyone to have the ability to watch us. For example, (from some people's point of view, not neccessarily mine), onstar is like the police saying "we are gonna install security cameras in your house. That way if you ever have a problem, we can see it and come right away. Should you happen to do anything illegal on camera, though, we arent gonna arrest you for it"

Overall, i think its a great safety feature for familys, the elderly, etc, but not something i would want in my camaro
Old 02-12-2006, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
It's standard on all GM vehicles however you don't have to activate it at the time of purchase if you don't want to. (We bought a new Trailblazer last weekend they asked if we wanted it activated or not.)

If you really think OnStar equates to Big Brother, you need professional help.
Its still an optinion on the cobalt.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by eocoolj
Correct me if im wrong, but doesnt onstar use the cellular phone network? So no cell phone service also means no onstar service? or is it satellite based?

Also, for all the people who scoff at the big-brother fearing individuals, there are some among us who dont want anyone to have the ability to watch us. For example, (from some people's point of view, not neccessarily mine), onstar is like the police saying "we are gonna install security cameras in your house. That way if you ever have a problem, we can see it and come right away. Should you happen to do anything illegal on camera, though, we arent gonna arrest you for it"

Overall, i think its a great safety feature for familys, the elderly, etc, but not something i would want in my camaro
you can make cell calls with it, I believe through the standard network. But the onstar functions themselves run through satellites.

If you're that worried about being caught when you break the law, just disconnect the antenna.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:41 PM

does disconnecting the antenna void the warranty?
Old 02-12-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by eocoolj
does disconnecting the antenna void the warranty?
Oh for the love of.........

No, it doesn't.

Quick Reply: OnStar on the new Camaro