2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh no...another rant on Canadian vs US pricing...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 09:48 PM

Angry Oh no...another rant on Canadian vs US pricing...

Ok Folks.

For those of you who don't know, GM Canada has finally published the G8 on its website.

I went to the "Build & Price" section --> Fully loaded GT: 41k CAD...vs. 32k USD...

Umm...no thanks.

If this is going to happen to the Camaro GM will a) lose customers b) kill the dealerships as I suspect a large number of buyers are going to import their Camaro.

I am sorry, but for that money (or a little bit more) I can get into a BMW, Acura, or something with substantially better quality, and certainly long-term reliability.

If I am way off base, please let me know, I am just do freakin' mad.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:43 PM

I know how you feel. We always get screwed here in Canada with car prices. If it is going to play out that way. I think im going to go with plan B and pick up a low mileage STI.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:14 AM

I imagine there's a 'price adjustment' deal (sigh), bet you get something around 3-4k back. So 37-38K vs 32k, still a rip off.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:31 AM

Doesn't mean much really, since the dealers here all sell above sticker anyhow. But yea.. pretty much a rip. Especially since there is only a 3 cent different in out currency. so they can not claim that crap anymore.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Why are cars more expensive in Canada? Is there any logical reason or is it simply because they like the way your bums feel after they've ridden'em?
Old 06-15-2008, 04:16 PM

I have a feeling it is dependant upon where the cars are coming from. I am not sure where the G8 is produced, but the canadian government may have an inport tax on the cars which are passed to the buyers.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Angelis83LT
I have a feeling it is dependant upon where the cars are coming from. I am not sure where the G8 is produced, but the canadian government may have an inport tax on the cars which are passed to the buyers.
built in australia.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
built in australia.
Probably government import taxes then I bet.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Angelis83LT
Probably government import taxes then I bet.
Someone posted the NAFTA rules before...but I think there is no extra tax or duty as we are importing them form the US...so if I am wrong in my analogy with the G8, can we expect the Camaro pricing to be near parity (as it will be built here)?
Old 06-15-2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by TCMcQueen
Why are cars more expensive in Canada? Is there any logical reason or is it simply because they like the way your bums feel after they've ridden'em?
I know you are being humorous but you are not far off the mark...Canadians are an apathetic bunch, we bitch and moan in quiet whispers but we really don't do anything...the GM workers in Oshawa are the most active, vocal group in Canada since, oh I don't know when.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bigsjk
Someone posted the NAFTA rules before...but I think there is no extra tax or duty as we are importing them form the US...so if I am wrong in my analogy with the G8, can we expect the Camaro pricing to be near parity (as it will be built here)?
I suppose that is possible that it could do that. We will have to wait and see whats up. I am not exactly sure how that Nafta goes. Personally I think it was the Biggest bunch of BS in on the planet.. from a US standing anyhow heh.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:55 PM

Well, G.M. Canada just lost my sale..... I'm still getting my new ride, it's just going to come from my friends down south ....

As I said in previous threads, this will work in my favor. I will pick up a coupe in early 2009, drive for the year... I'll sell it locally (probably make a few bucks ), and then get myself that convertible that I really wanted !!

G.M CANADA
Old 06-15-2008, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRick
Well, G.M. Canada just lost my sale..... I'm still getting my new ride, it's just going to come from my friends down south ....

As I said in previous threads, this will work in my favor. I will pick up a coupe in early 2009, drive for the year... I'll sell it locally (probably make a few bucks ), and then get myself that convertible that I really wanted !!

G.M CANADA
just hope it's importable.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:03 AM

It won't be. The Camaro is along the same lines as the G8, which is currently restricted, as is the Corvette:
"2008 Pontiac G8. 2008 AND 2009 Corvette models Coupe, Convertible, and Z06. The vehicle cannot be modified to meet CMVSS 215 (bumpers). 2009 Chevrolet Corvette Targa and ZR1"

Source: http://www.riv.ca/

Direct link to PDF outlining lists of importable cars:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...list/VAFUS.pdf

I wonder if GM is specifically flagging these cars as being 'unmodifiable' so we can't import them from the US. Pre 2007 it was possible on the Vette to replace the bumpers to make it legal for import, now they just outright say you can't replace the bumpers.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Jason Dove
It won't be. The Camaro is along the same lines as the G8, which is currently restricted, as is the Corvette:
"2008 Pontiac G8. 2008 AND 2009 Corvette models Coupe, Convertible, and Z06. The vehicle cannot be modified to meet CMVSS 215 (bumpers). 2009 Chevrolet Corvette Targa and ZR1"

Source: http://www.riv.ca/

Direct link to PDF outlining lists of importable cars:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/impor...list/VAFUS.pdf

I wonder if GM is specifically flagging these cars as being 'unmodifiable' so we can't import them from the US. Pre 2007 it was possible on the Vette to replace the bumpers to make it legal for import, now they just outright say you can't replace the bumpers.
I truly hope you are wrong ! The way I see it, the G8 and Vette are low volume cars primarily built for the US market..... This new Camaro is supposed to be a high volume car for the world..... We shall see.... Funny how FORD has no issues with the Mustang...... G.M. don't let us down, I don't want to end up on the dark side !!!

Last edited by CamaroRick; 06-16-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Oh no...another rant on Canadian vs US pricing...