2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS: Spy Shots: 2010 Camaro really hauls...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Yes it is, and those guys are just being picky!!

If the car survives tests pulling the U-Haul trailer, without over-heating, etc., then it should get the "rubber stamp" saying it can safely tow "X-amount" of weight .

Otherwise? If the concerns are "how does it stand up in heavy, stop-and-go traffic??" ... then test it there!! Or "abusive driving??" ... throw it out onto a race-track!! (which they've done ).

Towing a trailer will most certainly put a great additional load onto the car, but there's no reason it should fail, and assuming it does ok, then that should also count towards certifying the car "tow worthy" .
Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Towing the trailer adds load to the drivetrain and doing it at altitude adds stress to the drivetrain as well. They are basically trying to break it. By doing these types of stress tests that are worse possible case scenarios, they are taxing the drivetrain to points where no buyer will ever tax their Camaros, in order to make sure they're rock solid. There is a better chance that Camaro buyers will drag race their cars. While doing so will certainly void their warranty, it doesn't mean GM wants the car to crumble in those situations.

Thus, they want the drivetrain to be as tough as possible.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
No, not entirely!!

I KNOW exactly what you're trying to say. And I "know" that that is "actually" what GM is doing with the car . Trust me, I get it, they're not out on a "trailer testing mission" ... they're load-testing the CAR.

BUT, after the CAR survives those load tests, AND it survives the (un-official) "trailer test", that should most certainly make it "trailer worthy" (at least un-officially, if not "officially" ).

So what do you think their test program would be to actually "trailer certify" the car? Tow a 5th-wheel trailer??? (because we agree that they over-exaggerate the test conditions)

MY POINT is if you repeatedly perform an action, and get the same result, that becomes statistical evidence that said action can presumably be performed repeatedly with the same results . So again, "assuming" the car survives the trailer testing, then it should be good to go as a certifiable tow vehicle!!
Old 06-28-2008, 05:57 AM

Those trailers aren't being towed empty. There are specific weights being loaded int them. Ther is also likely test equptment.

Originally Posted by Koz
Do OEMs generally rent their test trailers from U-Haul? I know they're trying to cut costs but...
Actually they do, and have been doing it for many years.

Here's another vehicle helping someone "move", but perhaps there's no U-haul in Death Valley.

Last edited by guionM; 06-28-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:40 AM
West South Central Moderator

somebody PM me the first time a Camaro is photographed with slicks or at least drag radials on the back... I'm sure this same trailer testing was done with the 4th Gen cars, but we all know how their rearends held up to strong launches...
Old 07-08-2008, 12:10 AM

Who took the shots....
Old 07-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Their probably just out looking to run down a few Mustangs and Challengers and figured they'd better make it a fair race by yankin the trailer behind 'em. Likely just the v6 too!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by NewsBot
Filed under: Spy Photos, Coupes, Chevrolet, GM

Click above for gallery of the 2010 Camaro hauling

The high price of petrol is causing people to do some pretty crazy things, but after seeing these photos of a Camaro pulling a U-Haul on public roads, we're hoping pickup trucks don't become that bad on gas that one would consider using a muscle car as a mule. An astute photographer nabbed a couple shots of the long-awaited 2010 Camaro as it was helping someone move or delivering the AllSpark to Optimus Prime. While performance coupes probably aren't the best choice for pulling cargo, at least the Camaro's 6.0L V8 has been quite the hauler for GM, albeit under the hood of trucks and SUVs. Thanks for the tip, Matt Bateman.

Gallery: 2010 Camaro U-Haul

[Source: Picasa]
Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Just getting it ready for Drag Week.