2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEWS: Lutz Offers Details on the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Yes you absoloutely did argue my point. T Tops are a compromise YOU are willing to make, where as 1/4 windows are a compromise someone like ME is willing to make. Point being if !/4 windows are gone, in the name of making everything "light and tight" then shouldnt T Tops be as well for the same reason? The only overiding factor would be if GM determined the majority wanted T Tops come hell or high water...
I'm sorry - I'm arguing personal biases/wants/desires....not what GM can, should, could, or will do, nor what the majority of people on this website might want. If I were Camaro king, I'd have the T-tops, and pay the weight penalty (even being the weight **** that I am).

However, it has already been determined that there will be a B-pillar and there won't be T-tops, so this is all just an exercise in blathering about personal preferences (unless you're a winkie club member, of course).

If you agree from that perspective then we are in agreement where it is important. Again, I couldnt care less about T Tops. I dont like them and I hope they will stay off the car using the same logic that killed the 1/4 windows. Trading 1/4 windows for T Tops is not doing everything you can to keep the car "light and tight." Thats all I was saying...
Ok - but neither is putting in boom boom stereos, HIDs, heated/powered/leather seats, and numerous other little things that folks seem to want but which I coudl do without.

But none of that changes my personal preferences, and of course, none of it affects what GM eventually puts in the car.

Bob
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
The t-tops do not add weight to the car, & in the 4th gen camaros they were just as safe as the hard tops if not safer.
T-tops added twelve pounds to the weight of a 4th gen. Totally worth it.

Pillars are given letters in the order that they appear on the car, front to back. The frontmost pillar, regardless of what's connected to it, is the A pillar. The next one is B, and the next one is C, and so on. Most station wagons and SUVs have D pillars. So, technically, Camaro always had a B pillar, but the one that was B before just became C, and we've inserted a new B.

Side note: am I the only one here that doesn't like frameless windows?
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Something just struck me as being a bit funny: In 2002 GM FORCED me to get T-tops on my Firehawk, otherwise it wouldn't have had them.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I'm sorry - I'm arguing personal biases/wants/desires....not what GM can, should, could, or will do, nor what the majority of people on this website might want. If I were Camaro king, I'd have the T-tops, and pay the weight penalty (even being the weight **** that I am).

However, it has already been determined that there will be a B-pillar and there won't be T-tops, so this is all just an exercise in blathering about personal preferences (unless you're a winkie club member, of course).
Agreed with the exception that I think if the majority wanted x and they could do it they would. Except for the facts and updates, most of what we do here is blathering. We know Scott and others are watching this site so to me its fun but its also a bit more. If not I dont mind blathering about this.

On a positive note, Charlie said B pillars would save 50-100 lbs or so. He seemed pretty certain.

Ok - but neither is putting in boom boom stereos, HIDs, heated/powered/leather seats, and numerous other little things that folks seem to want but which I coudl do without.

But none of that changes my personal preferences, and of course, none of it affects what GM eventually puts in the car.

Bob
Also agreed.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 10-02-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:44 PM

T-tops suck. So do sunroofs and convertible tops. Eventually they all leak. I had them on my old IROC-Z and do you know how much replacing that damn weather stripping costs? And every car that I've ever been in that was more than one or two years old and had a sunroof...whistled and had ****ty noise isolation. And convertibles are overweight pigs, unless the car was designed from the get-go as a convertible.

All personal opinion of course (cept for the convertibles being overweight, that's a fact )
Old 10-01-2007, 11:10 PM

Its crap like this that got the Camaro discontinued in the first place . People
need to chill cuz the Camaro will NOT make it with people being so petty
about minor details
Old 10-01-2007, 11:12 PM

If you really think about it, the pillar can easily be covered. All you have to do is add window tint and it will blend in and NO ONE will see it! I don't see what the big deal is. 5% will completely hide the bar thus making all the disappointment pointless
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
On a positive note, Charlie said B pillars would save 200 lbs or so. He seemed pretty certain.
No, I said between 50-100 lbs.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:10 AM

People getting their panties in a wad once again!!

Yeah, no B-Pillar would have been cool and the thought of cruising with all 4 windows down would be a close second to cruising with T-tops off.

Am I a LITTLE disappointed? Sure. But if it it's "....necessary to keep production costs down and ensure the Camaro's frame is as light and tight and possible." it's an acceptable trade off and in a way is actually a good thing.

Next topic.....
Old 10-02-2007, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
People getting their panties in a wad once again!!

Yeah, no B-Pillar would have been cool and the thought of cruising with all 4 windows down would be a close second to cruising with T-tops off.

Am I a LITTLE disappointed? Sure. But if it it's "....necessary to keep production costs down and ensure the Camaro's frame is as light and tight and possible." it's an acceptable trade off and in a way is actually a good thing.

Next topic.....
These guys get their Panties in a wad if you tell them that the car will not come in the color they want. or if its a shade off.

I have a better time dealing with k-6th graders that didnt like what they got for lunch today over these guys.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 AM

I could care less. In fact I prefer the B-pillar. It's just less to go wrong. Two less window motors, switches, and less weather stripping that could eventually leak. I'm just a little concerned about the 2010 date. I hope the car still comes out around december 08-january 09. And if they are going to call it a 2010 it better have at least 430 hp available because I don't want to have to wait 2 years for a bigger engine. I don't want a super camaro with over 500 hp but I will not buy one with less than 400 horse.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:01 AM

....which is why all of you took the time to whine about all of us that decided to reply to the original topic in the first place.

Lets just all be kool-aid drinking cheerleaders. Then things will be just grand.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:57 AM

Angry

....which is why all of you took the time to whine about all of us that decided to reply to the original topic in the first place.

Lets just all be kool-aid drinking cheerleaders. Then things will be just grand.
Yes, because *everyone* that has a problem with this griping is advocating accepting whatever GM puts out blindly......

I think everyone griping about a pillar has totally lost perspective. Jason made a great point about being glad we're getting a REAL CAMARO instead of some fwd, 4 cylinder joke. I agree with him and no matter what anyone says, the presence of a B-pillar does not make this car any less of a Camaro.

What also amazes me about this discussion (such as it is) is based on people complaining about a design feature that will improve crash protection. So all of you complaining about "the" pillar are effectively saying that your styling preference takes precedent over GM building safer cars at a marketable price. That's insane. If any of you choose not to buy a Camaro because GM made it safer than the one that came out 4 DECADES AGO - fine, don't buy one. In fact, I implore you to not buy one - I don't want the bad word of mouth to kill what is looking right now like an awesome car. The rest of us will drive one and be quite happy (and safe), thanks.

Put me down for a STFU edition Camaro, please........
Old 10-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Prominent Member

I guess since I've known this info for over a year, I've long since gotten over it....I don't like it either, but whatcha' gonna' do?

Issues of weight, safety, sound and weatherseals aren't worth the trade offs to me.

That being said, are there any coupes being produced today that don't have a B-pillar?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by boxerperson
T-tops suck. So do sunroofs and convertible tops. Eventually they all leak. I had them on my old IROC-Z
Yep, and technology hasn't advanced at all since the 80's.

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
The t-tops do not add weight to the car, & in the 4th gen camaros they were just as safe as the hard tops if not safer.
I said it earlier, and I'll say it again. T-top 4th gens weigh 12 pounds more than otherwise-identical hardtop 4th gens.

If you roll over a t-top 4th gen and something hits the glass, the glass will shatter into tiny little pieces. The driver's and passenger's heads are then exposed to whatever is out there. I don't see how that could be considered "as safe as the hard tops if not safer."

That said, I have t-tops and love them.

Quick Reply: NEWS: Lutz Offers Details on the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro