2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

NEWS: Consumer Reports: 2010 Ford Mustang Out-Blobs Camaro, Challenger [Muscle Car W

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Automated News Poster

Arrow NEWS: Consumer Reports: 2010 Ford Mustang Out-Blobs Camaro, Challenger [Muscle Car W

The refreshed and so-clean 2010 Ford Mustang is gettin' classy, taking the Chevy Camaro and Dodge Challenger to the Consumer Reports woodshed as Dearborn's slightly-less-beefy muscle car out-blobbed the competition with a "Very Good" road test score of 78.

The competition were outpointed — the Camaro scored a "Very Good" 71 and the Challenger, a "Good" 53 points. Additionally, the boys from East Haddam, CT also ran the newly-redisgned 370Z and the new WRX around their paid-by-subscription track. Both scored "Very Good." Full press release below.

Ford Mustang outpoints Chevrolet Camaro and Dodge Challenger in Consumer Reports tests of sports cars and coupes

Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Nissan 370Z, and redesigned Subaru Impreza WRZ get Very Good road test scores

YONKERS, NY - The freshened Ford Mustang outpointed two other reincarnated muscle cars-the Chevrolet Camaro and the Dodge Challenger-as well as the new Hyundai Genesis Coupe in Consumer Reports' tests of six sporty cars and coupes in the October issue.

The Mustang received a Very Good overall road test score of 78, outpointing the Camaro which received a Very Good 71, and the Challenger, which received a Good 53 points. CR's engineers found the Mustang's 2010 freshening makes it an even more balanced and satisfying driver's car than ever before.
"The Mustang topped this group by delivering strong acceleration, communicative steering, and the most agile handling," said David Champion, senior director of CR's Auto Test Center in East Haddam, Connecticut.

The new Camaro shares basic underpinnings with the Pontiac G8 sedan. The Challenger is based on the large Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger rear-wheel-drive sedans. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe received a Very Good test score and is distinct from the rest of the group. It is loosely based on the Genesis luxury sedan and is powered by either a turbocharged four-cylinder or V6 engine, in contrast to the muscle cars' V8s.

CR also tested the redesigned Nissan 370Z two-seat coupe, an agile sports car which received a Very Good test score, and the updated and improved 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX, which also received a Very Good test score.

Prices ranged from $38,565 for the 370Z to $26,088 for the WRX. The Mustang has average reliability and is Recommended, as is the WRX. The other models are too new to have reliability data for CR to Recommend them. CR only Recommends vehicles that have performed well in its tests, have at least average predicted reliability based on CR's Annual Car Reliability Survey of its more than seven million print and web subscribers, and performed at least adequately if crash-tested or included in a government rollover test.

Full tests and ratings of the sporty cars test group appear in the October issue of Consumer Reports, which goes on sale September 1. The reports are also available to subscribers of www.ConsumerReports.org. Updated daily, ConsumerReports.org is the go-to site for the latest auto reviews, product news, blogs on breaking news and car buying information.

In everyday driving, the Mustang corners with agility and the highway ride is civilized. The Ford Mustang GT premium, ($34,725 Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price as tested) is powered by a 315-hp, 4.6-liter V8 engine that delivers strong acceleration and gets 20 mpg overall in CR's own fuel economy tests. The engine has a deep burble that is pleasing to listen to. The six-speed manual transmission shifts smoothly and accurately. Braking is Very Good. The 2010 freshening brought upgraded interior materials and better fit and finish.

The Camaro provides blistering performance and handles capably, but its girth undermines its agility. The Chevrolet Camaro 2SS ($35,425, MSRP as tested), is powered by a 426-hp, 6.2-liter, V8 engine that delivers very strong performance and 18 mpg overall. The engine sounds great when the throttle is punched. The six-speed manual transmission has a good feel. Braking is excellent. The interior is nicely finished despite gaps around the instrument panel and some cheap plastics.

With exhilarating straight-line acceleration, a brawny V8, and stock-car styling, the Challenger recaptures the character of the American muscle car. The Dodge Challenger R/T ($36,600 MSRP as tested), is powered by a 370-hp, 5.7-liter "Hemi" V8 engine that delivers strong performance and 18 mpg overall. The optional six-speed manual transmission shifts well with a pistol-like grip that fits snugly in hand. Whatever wind and road noise there is, and it's not much, is overwhelmed by the invigorating engine growl. Braking is mediocre and it has a big car feel rather than a sports car. The well-assembled interior has a nicely padded dash and nostalgic horizontal seat stitching.

The Genesis Coupe has agile handling that makes make it fun to drive, which is unusual for a Hyundai. The Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8 Grand Touring ($28,375, MSRP as tested), is powered by a 306-hp, 3.8-liter V6 engine and gets an impressive 23 mpg overall. The V6 engine smoothly hums under acceleration. However, the interaction of the six-speed manual transmission's shifter and heavy clutch make it a challenge to get smooth shifts. Braking is very good. The interior is nicely finished, although it's not luxurious like the Genesis sedan's.

The WRX's ride is taut, yet controlled and the car is steady yet compliant on the highway. The Subaru WRX ($26,088 MSRP as tested,) is powered by a 265-hp, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that delivers very strong acceleration and gets 24 mpg overall. It's well matched to a five-speed manual transmission. In everyday driving, the WRX engine has the manners of a typical four-cylinder with mileage to match. Braking is excellent. Interior plastics are all hard, but the interior is well-assembled.

Redesigned for 2009, the two-seat 370Z is shorter and better finished than its predecessor, the 350Z. Great handling and braking are high points of the 370Z, as is abundant power. The cabin is cramped and noisy, it's hard to see out, and the stiff ride is wearing over time. The Nissan 370Z Touring ($38,565 MSRP as tested) is a real sports car with quick handling and lots of grip. It is powered by a 332-hp, 3.7-liter V6 engine that gets 23 mpg overall, but on premium fuel. The six-speed manual transmission's short-throw shifter has a good feel. Braking is excellent. The interior has exceptional fit and finish.

With more than 7 million print and online subscribers, Consumer Reports is one of the most trusted sources for information and advice on consumer products and services. It conducts the most comprehensive auto-test program of any U.S. publication or Web site and owns and operates a 327-acre Auto Test Center in Connecticut. The organization's auto experts have decades of experience in driving, testing, and reporting on cars. To subscribe, consumers can call 1-800-234-1645 or visit www.ConsumerReports.org.

More...
Old 08-31-2009, 07:16 PM

Old 09-01-2009, 11:19 AM

I guess they failed to mention that for $700 more they got 111 horsepower. In fact, they should be comparing a Mustang GT to a V6 Camaro because those would be comparable from a performance standpoint. Do they even have car guys in that mag or does the same guy who tests the vaccuum cleaners write the car articles? Give me a break, another worthless review by another self-righteous magazine.

-Geoff
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I guess they failed to mention that for $700 more they got 111 horsepower. In fact, they should be comparing a Mustang GT to a V6 Camaro because those would be comparable from a performance standpoint. Do they even have car guys in that mag or does the same guy who tests the vaccuum cleaners write the car articles? Give me a break, another worthless review by another self-righteous magazine.

-Geoff
Yes, all of the reviews are worthless and bias. Absolutely. I'm sure a V6 Camaro would blow away a Mustang GT too. And if it doesn't, then that review is also worthless and biased.

Let's just all say that to ourselves.....
Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM

In fact, they should be comparing a Mustang GT to a V6 Camaro because those would be comparable from a performance standpoint.
Umm, no. Comparable in peak horsepower, yeah. But not in any other performance metric.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:43 PM

I just read it and take it with a grain of salt.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by CR

In everyday driving, the Mustang corners with agility and the highway ride is civilized. The Ford Mustang GT premium, ($34,725 Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price as tested) is powered by a 315-hp, 4.6-liter V8 engine that delivers strong acceleration and gets 20 mpg overall in CR's own fuel economy tests. The engine has a deep burble that is pleasing to listen to. The six-speed manual transmission shifts smoothly and accurately. Braking is Very Good. The 2010 freshening brought upgraded interior materials and better fit and finish.

When did this happen?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Umm, no. Comparable in peak horsepower, yeah. But not in any other performance metric.
Like what? Braking? Slalom? You have numbers or are you just opinionating - much like Consumer's Report did? I think it kicks mustang *** in bang for the buck on both counts when you compare either the SS or the LT. For the SS, you get a ton more performance, and for the LT, you can save almost $8,000 and still match the mustang.

-Geoff
Old 09-02-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yes, all of the reviews are worthless and bias. Absolutely. I'm sure a V6 Camaro would blow away a Mustang GT too. And if it doesn't, then that review is also worthless and biased.

Let's just all say that to ourselves.....
My point is that Consumer's report left out a few things. It is almost like they made a comparison by price alone, which is great if you are comparing coat hangers or doormats (which I am sure they also do). If they tested an LS for $22k, how would that look if they still scored a 71? The comparison means nothing.

How can you even take that article seriously, when it starts of saying "The Mustang topped this group by delivering strong acceleration, communicative steering, and the most agile handling,". And the Mustang was the most underpowered car there.

As far as reviews, the only review that matters is that you can drive a mustang home today, and if you are lucky, you can order a Camaro and get it by the end of the year. I don't put much stock in any of them since it all comes down to somebody's opinion.

-Geoff
Old 09-03-2009, 10:43 AM

It's hard for me to argue about the girth of the car. (although i never read about 3,900 pound Aston's and Ferrari's being overweight)
What i'd really love to see now: V6 Camaro vs. V6 mustang. But we're never gonna see it.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 AM

Like what? Braking? Slalom? You have numbers or are you just opinionating - much like Consumer's Report did? I think it kicks mustang *** in bang for the buck on both counts when you compare either the SS or the LT. For the SS, you get a ton more performance, and for the LT, you can save almost $8,000 and still match the mustang.

-Geoff
I don't think you have been keeping up with things.

The Mustang GT will absolutely anniliate the V6 Camaro. Between the Mustang GT's 300 pound advantage, 50+ lbs/ft of extra torque, and agressive gearing, the GT will be in the next state while the V6 Camaro is still winding up. If you are looking at the V6 Camaro's 304 horsepower and the GT's 315 and thinking the 2 are close in performance, you're foolish.

Second, pick up a random car magazine that has run a comparison test that includes the 2010 Mustang GT and the 2010 Camaro SS. You have only a 25% chance of finding Camaro SS winning because 3 of the 4 rate the Mustang over the Camaro. Consumer Reports makes that number 5 out of 6.

As far as performance, the only clear advantage Camaro SS has over Mustang seems to be once both gets past 60 mph in a drag race. Car and Driver managed to get a Mustang GT to virturally match the Camaro 0-60 (4.9 Mustang vs 4.8 Camaro). In every other catagory beyond that, it seems Mustang walks all over Camaro.

My point is that Consumer's report left out a few things. It is almost like they made a comparison by price alone, which is great if you are comparing coat hangers or doormats (which I am sure they also do). If they tested an LS for $22k, how would that look if they still scored a 71? The comparison means nothing.

How can you even take that article seriously, when it starts of saying "The Mustang topped this group by delivering strong acceleration, communicative steering, and the most agile handling,". And the Mustang was the most underpowered car there.

As far as reviews, the only review that matters is that you can drive a mustang home today, and if you are lucky, you can order a Camaro and get it by the end of the year. I don't put much stock in any of them since it all comes down to somebody's opinion.

-Geoff
There's such a thing as blind loyalty, and I think that's what you're showing Geoff. Your second paragraph reminds me of that "Monty Python" skit in the movie "Monty Python and The Holy Grail" where each time this knight after severing his opponents arms & legs from his body leaving him nothing more than a torso and a head, this opponent demanded him to come back and fight that he only had a flesh wound.

You named every area where Mustang GT walked over the Camaro. It handles better & it's steering is more communicative. The Mustang also has strong acceleration... it is by no means a slowpoke.

I suggest you pick up the last edition of Automobile Magazine, or go back 2 issues and pick up Car and Driver's test on the 3. If you can't find it, then I reccomend you pick up the new October edition of Road and Track. Any and all three are well known enthiusiast magazines that have former engineers and race car drivers in their ranks who participate.

In fact, both the Motor Trend and Automobile comparison tests have professional race car drivers that actually drove the cars and gave opinions.

Consumer Reports usually wind up with lots of arrows from us here and on other enthusiasts sites because they tend to favor the blandest car and tend to be a bit biased against American cars.

However, in this instance, they came to the same conclusion that seems to be the norm. Camaro SS has traffic stopping looks, and the LS3 engine has plenty of midrange power. But, when you have a Mustang GT that is 300 pounds lighter, has what a few months ago was a suspension system found in the Ford Performance Catalogue now a production option, and an engine that while short in horsepower, has no such shortage in the torque department, not to mention a more reactive steering and feel, there is no real mystery why the Mustang GT is racking up winnings.

It also lights a fire under GM to keep up.

Originally Posted by azfan
It's hard for me to argue about the girth of the car. (although i never read about 3,900 pound Aston's and Ferrari's being overweight)
What i'd really love to see now: V6 Camaro vs. V6 mustang. But we're never gonna see it.
In this area, I'd say it's Camaro hands down.

Im a huge fan of the V6 Camaro. No other car on the planet offers IRS, 300+ horsepower, drop dead looks, 6 second 0-60, 100mph quarters, and a 157 mph top speed all for just $23,000 plus the cost of an upsized tire option.

The base Camaro is the planet's biggest bargain.

The Camaro SS is far less of a bargain compared with the base Camaro and the competition's performance models offer clear advantages over the Camaro SS in other catagories than mid and upper range acceleration. But no one's base models can hold a candle to the V6 Camaro as a performance/equptment/features value.

BUT... Camaro SS is still a very good all round performance car for the price.

Last edited by guionM; 09-03-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 10:48 AM

I do wonder how it would compare without the Track Pack option.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:28 AM

Yeeeeah I think Guy covered my response pretty well.

I'll just say this to make a point - the 5.3 Silverado also boasts the same (if not more) HP than the current Mustang GT. You wouldn't want to match them up in braking, slalom, or any other performance metric either.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:53 AM

Consumer Reports (I subscribe) said, "We got 18 mpg overall on regular fuel."
I thought that this beast was premium fuel only?

I liked the review, but a grain of salt is necessary with all of them. Many of the nitpicks are more like givens. Poor rear seating, tough luggage loading, and so on. No one has ever been happy in the back seat of a pony car.

I read reviews like this for trends. When Consumer Reports and Car and Driver both agree on something, it's pretty solid. All reviews are written by someone else. I look for agreed-upon wonderfulness that I'll probably like, too. I also look for consistent gripes that I'd better check to see if I can live with it or even notice.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:13 PM

I want to see individual scores....... They can't just say Mustang got 78 and Camaro got 71. Show the individual scores Consumer Report

Quick Reply: NEWS: Consumer Reports: 2010 Ford Mustang Out-Blobs Camaro, Challenger [Muscle Car W