2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new Camaro will likely bring an end to.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 04:47 PM

Re: The new Camaro will likely bring an end to.......

I can see you guys are worrying about the nose of the car, with the grill almost cuping the air.
This can be solved by placing a vent on the sides of the grill, that exit right in front of the tire.
I made a chop using paint on my computer. Its not as good as some of you guys can do with photoshop, but I'm sure you will get the idea.

....almost looks exotic.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Aerodynamics is not intuitive.
I'll be happy to lend my Fundamentals of Aerodynamics book to anybody who disagrees. Let them see just how counter-intuitive it can be.

Drag coefficient is effected by so many little things its almost impossible to estimate just by looking for anything other than VERY simple bodies like flat plates and cylinders. The Reynolds number you're operating at has a huge effect. Depending on the specific shape of the body, drag coefficient can change depending upon your velocity because it shifts to a different Reynolds number regime. Thats all not to mention vortex effects, flow separation, boundry layer separation and any number of strange and unusual aerodynamic effects that may be going on.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by nova
I'll be happy to lend my Fundamentals of Aerodynamics book to anybody who disagrees. Let them see just how counter-intuitive it can be.

Drag coefficient is effected by so many little things its almost impossible to estimate just by looking for anything other than VERY simple bodies like flat plates and cylinders. The Reynolds number you're operating at has a huge effect. Depending on the specific shape of the body, drag coefficient can change depending upon your velocity because it shifts to a different Reynolds number regime. Thats all not to mention vortex effects, flow separation, boundry layer separation and any number of strange and unusual aerodynamic effects that may be going on.
So can the back pressure from the front grille be channeled through the engine bay then out the back of the cowl and over the windshield?
Old 03-30-2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
So can the back pressure from the front grille be channeled through the engine bay then out the back of the cowl and over the windshield?
The base of the windshield is a high pressure area (take a look at where nascar cars breathe from). Even worse so with a steeper windshield. You can't vent to a high pressure area (well, you can, if you're venting even higher pressure, but...)

As people are trying to explain, aerodynamics is counter intuitive. Want a great example. Modern trucks are designed to be more aerodynamic with the tailgates UP than down. The bed holds air, which creates a nice big boundary layer (i know, not quite teh right application of the term) so air coming over the cab smoothly exits back. Open the tailgate and you create a low pressure area in the bed since air coming over the top spills down to the floor of the bed.

Aero is way too complex to estimate by looking, as some in this thread have already said. Sometimes adding a vent (like dropping the tailgate) costs you more energy in air movement than just letting the air build pressure and create a cushion that keeps more air from coming in. That air cushion becomes you 'grille cover'
Old 03-30-2006, 08:10 PM

While I wouldn't say aerodynamics aren't important, I wouldn't place as much emphasis on them as some others. There seems to be a tradeoff between, aero, design, and cost. They could make it a bulbous car with a wonderful Cd, but who would want to buy that? They could use a number of solutions like the plates under the Corvette, but they might add cost.

I'm sure the aero wizards will gin up some good ideas to help. I've seen a couple areas on the 4th gen cars where that was done. In the end appearance counts for a lot as well. Mustang has been getting worse figures for a while now. It hasn't seemed to make a dent in their sales.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by notgetleft
The base of the windshield is a high pressure area (take a look at where nascar cars breathe from). Even worse so with a steeper windshield. You can't vent to a high pressure area (well, you can, if you're venting even higher pressure, but...)

As people are trying to explain, aerodynamics is counter intuitive. Want a great example. Modern trucks are designed to be more aerodynamic with the tailgates UP than down. The bed holds air, which creates a nice big boundary layer (i know, not quite teh right application of the term) so air coming over the cab smoothly exits back. Open the tailgate and you create a low pressure area in the bed since air coming over the top spills down to the floor of the bed.

Aero is way too complex to estimate by looking, as some in this thread have already said. Sometimes adding a vent (like dropping the tailgate) costs you more energy in air movement than just letting the air build pressure and create a cushion that keeps more air from coming in. That air cushion becomes you 'grille cover'
Even better!
Old 03-30-2006, 10:08 PM

I love the dialogue about areodynamics and I do not have the tools to argue it...you guys seem to be doing great.

I will say this; I hit 160MPH once in my 02 SS Coupe and all I can say is...

STUPID STUPID STUPID

I'd prefer an all attitude 12 sec quarter mile car that handles twisties like it was on rails (I've heard that before ) and I'll settle for a little less top speed.

Give me handling and torque, save the aerodynamics for the Air Force.

...which brings up and interesting point. I was reading an article somewhere recently about the design of the 5th gen. One of their inspirations was modern military aircraft like the B2, and F22 Raptor. Anugular beasts that excude function over form.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:55 PM

I'm a noob at this aerodynamics stuff but it fascinates me.
I was under the impression that higher drag is good for making a car stable at highspeeds, that it works kinda like downforce, and a high power car that has a lot of drag would be more stable than a low powered very "slippery" car because of the extra drag.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
I'm a noob at this aerodynamics stuff but it fascinates me.
I was under the impression that higher drag is good for making a car stable at highspeeds, that it works kinda like downforce, and a high power car that has a lot of drag would be more stable than a low powered very "slippery" car because of the extra drag.
Well downforce creates drag, but drag does not necessarily create downforce.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:36 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by RussStang
The speed limiter on an F-Body with z rated tires is 162 mph. With the limiter removed, the 4th gens were good for around 170 flat out. At least, that is what SLP got stock ones to do.
IIRC, the actual number was 172 mph. I have the video somewhere. It was a 99 Firehawk with the speed limiter removed.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by ssheets
...which brings up and interesting point. I was reading an article somewhere recently about the design of the 5th gen. One of their inspirations was modern military aircraft like the B2, and F22 Raptor. Anugular beasts that excude function over form.
They are that angular shape to reduce their radar signature. Wouldnt it be sweet if 5th gen reduced that radar signature when smokey was waiting for you behind his favorite tree radar in hand at the end of the month? I know its rediculous but I can dream cant I?
Old 03-30-2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by chrisL
IIRC, the actual number was 172 mph. I have the video somewhere. It was a 99 Firehawk with the speed limiter removed.
I don't think that is the video I was thining of, but if you have the video on your hard drive I would love to see it. I have heard about a none limiter car hitting just over 170. The videos I saw were of 2 4th gen LS1 cars hitting there stock 162 mph limiters. I don't know as much about the LT1 cars as I do the LS1 cars, but I know most definelty that that is exactly where the governor sits on the LS1 cars; 162.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
They are that angular shape to reduce their radar signature. Wouldnt it be sweet if 5th gen reduced that radar signature when smokey was waiting for you behind his favorite tree radar in hand at the end of the month? I know its rediculous but I can dream cant I?
That would definetly help me out alot with the local law enforcement.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
That would definetly help me out alot with the local law enforcement.
Speaking of which, I need to get to bed so I can get up for community service. Yeah Id say that a stealth Camaro just MIGHT pique my interest! lol
Old 03-30-2006, 11:58 PM

I have no plans on driving 150+ mph down the interstate. I'm more interested in the acceleration. The "gitup n go" factor.

Quick Reply: The new Camaro will likely bring an end to.......