2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Camaro Interior

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroZ282008
Im not all over the place at all. I stated specifically the Camaro SS only need's better quality materials. Not the V-6.
I'm pointing to the fact that GM in general drops the ball on almost all of it's interior's quality wise using the Malibu/Corvette/ZR-1 as examples.
You talk as if this were fact. This is YOUR opinion which if fine. It's not fact and in my opinion the interior looks sweet!! So do a lot of people I've talked to.
Comparing a muscle car to a luxury car interior is a big stretch at best. In my opinion a luxury car interior would look ridiculous in the Camaro anyway.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 PM

I think it looks great!! I owned a 2005 Mustang GT and that interior sucked compared to what I am seeing in the new Camaro.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:47 PM

Could be Worse.... look at the Smart car

And then theres the Old Saturns

Or my Personal Favorite YUGO!

You guys need to relax, the interior is FUNCTIONAL in the new camaro. The porsches, give me headaches with all there crap. I try to find the radio, and I end up turning on the bluetooth. It looks cool, and if you put the time to read the 100+ page on how to use the navi, im pretty sure its cool. But when it comes to functionality of interiors, the Big 3 do it pretty well.

When it comes to looks, sure its not the top... But deep down who cares. The interior is not gonna take you 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. And most importantly the interior can't reel the ladies in, like the exterior does.

Last edited by King Moose SS; 03-24-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:49 PM

You just can't compare the Camaro with any random luxury brand.

GM would have had to design 2 different dashboards(all included) to please and compete with more expensive brands that are in another price range largely because they overdo interiors and "High quality feeling" however subjective it is.

IMHO i'm rather pleased GM decided to keep the interior maybe a little cheap and keep the base price down. If we observe what happenned to previous F-Bodys generations, aftermarket will be all over you to offer that customized High quality feeling you want. What is important to me is that i can see my speed and RPM at anytime and that's about it. Of course a comfortable seat is nice but it doesn't have to be beautiful or screaming "30,000$" The steering or shifter can be changed to accomodate whatever i want so no worry there.

And i think that with the brands you name, you're spelling every competitor to Cadillac, wich make great luxury and sports cars. I haven't sampled the dashboards myself but i suspect they're pretty nice !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_CTS-V
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_V-Series

Now that for the subjective stuff, my better experiences in all of my cars were while racing on the drag strip, getting sporty in the twisties or cruising with my girlfriend, none of wich require any good plastics all around me. Ok, maybe one cup holder somewhere in there but that's it !

And i respect your search for better dashboards, dream on man \o/ !
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM

But for the interior, it would be an absolute, clear cut decision for me to buy this car, sight unseen. The exterior is great, but I'm not going to be looking at the grill or that beautifull *** while I'm driving it. 90% of the time I'll be inside of it, so the interior will be the deal maker or breaker for me. (the other 10% will be spent outside cleaning it since I'm leaning toward black). I'll wait till I can actually sit in one to decide, if not that new 370z is looking great inside and out too.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 PM

I'm gonna kind of agree with Factory Z. I enjoy the nice interior in my CTS. It's like driving to work in a corporate office.

However, since I have not yet SAT in a new Camaro, I will keep judgement. I know I HATED my 05 GT's interior. It creaked and rattled and was NO FUN.

So until I sit in a new Camaro, I guess I shouldn't make any more statements.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:57 PM

There is a reason that the camaro costs half as much as the next best car with 400+ HP. I'd rather have the engineering budget spent where it counts.

If you are soo adamant about interior quality, go buy and audi and leave the muscle scene.

Last edited by JasonD; 03-24-2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: LOL!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by 08DICTS
I'm gonna kind of agree with Factory Z. I enjoy the nice interior in my CTS. It's like driving to work in a corporate office.

However, since I have not yet SAT in a new Camaro, I will keep judgement. I know I HATED my 05 GT's interior. It creaked and rattled and was NO FUN.

So until I sit in a new Camaro, I guess I shouldn't make any more statements.
It's interesting that you drive an '08 CTS with the DI 3.6L.

The Camaro has that exact same powertrain (not a cheap one), a very similar chassis, and so on. But the CTS is a $30k-$50k car (excluding the V), whereas the Camaro is a $23k - $40k car.

That extra money is going to buy some nice interior materials that the Camaro has to do without.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Admin Emeritus

Heh...okay, guys...nothing to get riled up about.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
EDIT: Chevycobb posted similarly while I was typing this, but...

First of all, I understand what you are saying but you can't fairly compare a Chevrolet to an Infiniti. Okay, fine...

Start with the price. According to the Infiniti web site, the G37 coupe starts at 35.9k, not 33k.
http://www.infinitiusa.com/g_coupe/index.html
That's $5,000 more than the Camaro. That much money can buy a hell of a lot more than nicer interior, and I am sure that it does.

But if you compare one thing, you need to compare the rest. Does the G37 have the same power? Nope, almost 100 less. As far as power, it compares closer to the Camaro LT but at a staggering cost of $13,000 more. Make it 10k to cover the split in the horsepower difference. Now you can say "for 10k you would think it would have more power" about the Infiniti

It all depends on what people want out of the car for the money, which is why some people prefer the Infinity over the Chevrolet. A larger scale example is exactly why people pay 5 times more than the cost of a new Corvette ZR1 for a car that doesn't not touch it in performance but has the best imported leather shift **** money can buy and one awesome refrigerated glove box.

My point is, if you are going to compare a Camaro to a luxury brand, you are not going to have things match up, including things like price and interior quality and performance because you can't easily have more than 2 at the same time. I don't disagree that the plastic could be better, but I know that the plastic is better than it was in previous years and for it to be better yet it would cost something somewhere down the line, in dollars or otherwise.

I am sure that the G37 is a great car but where it falls short, the Camaro shines...and vice versa.

I woulden't really compare a Camaro SS to an Infiniti G37, however it's a competitor never the less. And the more tricked out 2SS will be cross shopped. The fact that GM is saying this new Camaro is a competitor to the new 370Z, Mustang GT, Challenger and Audi S5 is what makes me bring this topic up in the first place.

Mustang GT Vs.Camaro SS interior quality is slightly worse
Challenger R/T Vs. Camaro SS interior quality is on par/better then the dodge
370Z Vs. Camaro SS interior quality is worse, design being subjective in all three obviously
S5 Vs. Camaro SS interior quality isn't even on the same page/ shoulden't be...but Chevy list's the S5 as a competitor.

Comparing a Chevrolet to any luxury brand is not fair per say, but the Camaro SS will be up against these competitors. This do to it's AWESOME performance, great handling and great powertrains. This is where some people who have more money then sense will come into play and the interior very well could be the deciding factor.

The fact that the new Camaro SS has better materials then the previous generation shoulden't even be mentioned. It's a given and should be knowing the competiton is always getting better, GM know's they have to make the next generation quality better then the previous. This Interior on the Camaro SS should have materials equivalent or better then all the competitors it's facing and be up to par if only a little less quality wise then say the luxury brands like the Audi S5 for obvious price reasons.

The ZR-1 mention with performance being better then it's competition costing 5 times more is excellent. But it's a $100K car. $100K large.
Acura's, Infiniti and Lexus all have better quality interiors and cost Much less. None are in the ZR-1's league performance wise, but point being that the
ZR-1 for this much cash should have an interior with quality better/equal to these cheaper cars. Plus it's a "super car" shoulden't the buyer who shelled out $100K plus have a super car interior?

The Camaro SS just need's a rework of interior materials for the next few model years. The design like anything is subjective, but simple things like the aluminum trim, gloss black accents/HVAC/Radio/***** and a softer grade plastic would make the Camaro SS the BEST of everything on all levels.
Not just on the performance level.
The seude idea was that just an idea, and I think it may be too expensive the more I think about it. So scratch that except for maybe a Copo.
If GM could get the Camaro SS out the door for say $31K to 36k with these material upgrades there would be little to no competition bar none as far as performance, quality per dollar margin. Magazines woulden't have anything to rip on GM about etc...

Main point is that the Camaro SS is a winner, a knock out in every single catagory as the recent reviews have suggested yet it's poor quality interior is the one component in which everyone who purchases this car will see, touch and deal with the most. It should be of better quality. It's a 9-10.
10 out of 10 sounds so much better. The last Camaro Z28/SS was better then most of it's competitors performance wise, but the interior was worse. This new generation seems to be going in that same direction. It's the quality of materials that can really make or break a car sale. To the diehard GM fanatics/drag racers/autocross/road course junkies this component may not be so important. To the average buyer it's essential and that average buyer will either allow the Camaro SS to float or sink in the long run.

Let me say I'm a Muscle Car guy at heart. I like all three modern muscle cars and enjoy all the latest news on the new Camaro, I frequent this website alot and only wan't to see it succeed even more than it already has.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 AM

I don't know where to begin with this...

Have you even seen any of these cars in person or are you going by pictures? The 370Z/G37 is not as close to having "good" materials in it as I would have thought. It still has a ton of plastic (the G car having slightly less) and unless you're 5'9" or less then you have no room whatsoever. All that and dismal performance for $42k.

The Challenger has alot of plastic as well (albeit marginally "softer" feel than the "Datsun" cars. However, its a cookie cutter design that offers no feeling of performance or quality.

The S5 I'm sure looks, feels, and fits great but it is a $50k + Audi. Despite all of the greatness of the interior, it would still get its butt handed to it by the Camaro.

It's laughable to say that the interior of the Mustang is better than the Camaro. The Mustang interior wreaks of plastic. Everything that is chrome inside of that car reminds of the days of mid 80's Big 3 garbage. I'm just waiting for the chrome to start peeling off to expose the cheap beige plastic underneath. Hard straight edges everwhere with a feel of that of a gas station stick pad for your cell phone.

Let's get real. Compared to its only true competitors (Mustang and Challenger) the Camaro puts them to shame. The Datsuns may have better "feeling" materials and more pleasing asthetics but for the same price as a fully loaded Camaro you are losing in every other stat. There is no real comparison between the Camaro and the Audi (or any Audi for that matter.)

As for the ZR1, there's a reason for it costing 5 times less than its competitors. Despite having majority of the same materials its rivals have everywhere else in the car, the interior is about the only place that it is "lacking."

Last edited by 95firehawk; 03-25-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:09 AM

you did not just compare a camaro interior to a porsche interior. dude, its a porsche! they have leather dash and door panels! they also start at around 50grand for a boxster. you cant even compare those 2.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 AM

He didn't compare them. Read the post - don't just look at the pictures/captions.

Personally, I don't get hung up on picky details of the interior (though I know many do...and that's fine). I'm much more into function over form. Having not sat in a new 5th Gen, I'll not make any comment.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 AM

Do the Mustang V6 and GT cars have different interiors? I rented a Mustang V6 convertable this past year and the interior was very bad. It was probably a 2007 or 2008 model. It was far more hard plastic and all-around cheap feeling than most 80s cars I've been in. I'm not generally picky about interior stuff like that and I really couldn't believe just how bad it was.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Malice 1
There is a reason that the camaro costs half as much as the next best car with 400+ HP. I'd rather have the engineering budget spent where it counts.
Agreed. Unfortunately, I'd assume that if the SS were to have a "world class" interior it would probably increase the price by several thousand dollars. The LS3 sells for around $7,000 as a crate motor - pretty close to the price differential between V6 and SS.

So, with the SS you're essentially paying for the motor and not much else. So, you get the same interior bits.

No, the dash materials aren't "soft touch" but everything you touch feels high quality and if it all holds up and stays tight down the road it will be a huge improvement over previous Camaros.

If GM were to offer a "premium SS interior" option for say $5,999, I wonder how many takers there would really be?

Quick Reply: New Camaro Interior