2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

In my opinion...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 12:55 AM

Re: In my opinion...

Originally Posted by F1GT
Sunroof!!!!!
The more I think about it, the more a sunroof will do. T-tops arent a priority for me anymore like they were/are on my 4th gen. At least a sunroof is fine. No way I want a straight hardtop, especially on a fun to drive sport coupe. The open air experience adds to the fun factor and experience. Most of us have 4th and 3rd gens which came with t-tops anyway, so those of us keeping them got that to fall back on. Thats how I feel.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:12 AM

Best use of T Tops Ive seen From TFBA Forum "Jared"

Honestly though mine have rarely been out. Dont have alot of models linning up to pose with my car lol. Could do without. Especially after hearing about back windows rolling down adding 100 lbs. How much does taking out most the roof add?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:43 AM

Targa would be the way to go on this car if you didnt want a convertible. T-Tops will not work on the new Camaro as they would look very bad without a B-Pillar.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:22 PM

I don't have T-tops on my 99, and it will not affect my decision on the new one. I can roll down the windows for open air motoring, and I don't like to sit in the sun and bake.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by BirchMan98z
there's always a convertible, but t-tops are the best of both worlds to me. Structural rigidity of a hardtop, open air feeling of a 'vert.
Absolutely WRONG! The t-top roof alters structural integrity significantly! Leave it a coupe and a convertible!!!!! If you want open air, suck it up, save an extra 3 grand, and get the vert.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:37 PM

First off, I never said make ONLY t-top cars, a couple of you guys are already way too passionate about a car that may not ever even see the assembly line. I'm talking about options. That seemed to be a pretty obvious point. I'd like to see them offer a car with a removeable roof. Convertibles and hard tops aren't my style. No manufacturer in their right mind would offer only ONE option on a sports car, use a little common sense. Some reading comprehension is missing here. These are my OPINIONS, not the "if I was god, this is the car I would make" type of post. They're options and changes I personally would like to see, don't like it? That's fine, considering the car doesn't exist yet.

T-tops, targa tops, same damn thing, removeable roof panel(s) is what I'm getting at. I don't like convertibles. Heavy, windy, loud, more expensive, and more maintenance. Targa/T-top cars are FAR more structurally sound than a convertible. I never said they were on par with hardtops, but it's not as far off as you may think as far as structural soundness. Evidently everyone skipped reading and went straight to forming opinions about an imaginary car. Catch the "to me" part? I Personally like t-tops/targa roof panels, I don't care whether you do or not, but It would be a great option for those of us who like them.

My suggestions for the interior for that one special smartass with a measly 32 posts who thinks he's running the forum now: less yellow neon lights, less brushed aluminum, more practicality. I couldn't see anyone using that cabin for everyday driving. LOL Considering I've been breaking from the forum longer than you've been a member, YOUR opinion is the one that wouldn't be missed.

Also, I don't think this car will be as affordable, with or without removeable roof panels, as the 4th gens. Independent rear suspensions, more technology, and an ls2 engine is sure to drive the price higher.

Let's take one last look at my original post and see if it makes more sense now:

I feel odd making this my first post in so many months, BUT...

What good is a new Camaro without T-tops??! Half the fun of owning a z28 is a midnight cruise with no destination in particular on a warm summer night with the tunes cranked and the wind in your hair.

Oh, and the interior is god awful looking. Should the car make it to production I hope they make it more appealing inside.

That is all.

Last edited by BirchMan98z; 03-14-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:19 PM

there's always a convertible, but t-tops are the best of both worlds to me. Structural rigidity of a hardtop, open air feeling of a 'vert.

Good points and you're right, they are your opinions and you are entitled......but you did say "Structural rigidity of a hardtop". I just have to disagree, I have a 3rd gen with t-top and while I love it, the hardtops were A LOT tighter, unless you add subframe connectors, strut tower brace, etc. To design and engineer them as an option would cost a lot more too I think. I just hope they let it be, I think their time has passed. If you keep the small rear windows with no b-pillar, it provides a really open feel with them all down, at least it does in my 69!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by willz
Good points and you're right, they are your opinions and you are entitled......but you did say "Structural rigidity of a hardtop". I just have to disagree, I have a 3rd gen with t-top and while I love it, the hardtops were A LOT tighter, unless you add subframe connectors, strut tower brace, etc. To design and engineer them as an option would cost a lot more too I think. I just hope they let it be, I think their time has passed. If you keep the small rear windows with no b-pillar, it provides a really open feel with them all down, at least it does in my 69!
I have to agree with you. I have kind of a pessimistic view but to me T-tops are the worst of both worlds. You don't have the structural rigidity of the coupe and you don't have the same open air feeling of a convertible.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Best use of T Tops Ive seen From TFBA Forum "Jared"

That reminds me, the best part of T-tops is that they're removable! And when they don't come off, at least they're see through!

Seriously though, even if you don't have them out you still get a lot more light in the car and can still look out and see the sky. My last car was a hard top, and I did miss them.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:54 PM

I'm not interested in T tops, I dont think it would look right on this car either.

I think it's cool that the car appears to have 4 windows that roll down and NO B piller! That could more then satisfy me!

I like the interior! Simple, Classy, hints of old/flair of new, I'd take it as is!

As long as it's more roomy, I'm for it! My 98 is so tight on trips, I frequently switch with my passenger because I know the passenger seat isnt much of a comfortable one with the hump and close dash.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Joe K. 96 Zeee!!
That reminds me, the best part of T-tops is that they're removable! And when they don't come off, at least they're see through!

Seriously though, even if you don't have them out you still get a lot more light in the car and can still look out and see the sky. My last car was a hard top, and I did miss them.
Yeah, I have a sunroof in the Aveo and it's nowhere near as nice as the TTops in the Camaro. I liked very much having the glass roof for the same reasons you point out.

I don't understand why so many are complaining they don't want TTops as an option. If you don't want them, don't get that option. If you think they don't look right, don't get that option. Why all the negativity when you can get the car however you want it? Some of us want TTops, others don't. Why can't we all get what we want?

I personally can't stand the look of convertibles. Does this mean I should get a petition started to not have it as an option just cause I don't like it? No, I just get the options I want and let those that like convertibles enjoy them even though I think they're ugly (especially the 4th Gens)...
Old 03-14-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisz24
I'm not interested in T tops, I dont think it would look right on this car either.

I think it's cool that the car appears to have 4 windows that roll down and NO B piller! That could more then satisfy me!
Does this mean it shouldn't be an option for those that DO like TTops?

I like the interior! Simple, Classy, hints of old/flair of new, I'd take it as is!
I saw it as over the top and far from 'simple'. But that's me.

As long as it's more roomy, I'm for it! My 98 is so tight on trips, I frequently switch with my passenger because I know the passenger seat isnt much of a comfortable one with the hump and close dash.
More roomy? I had tons of room in the front 2 seats of my '02. I sat in the passengers side of my '02 a number of times and never found the dash to be close to me at all. The front seats went so far back (a good thing imo) that I had to bring the drivers seat forward slightly. That's something I've never had before, most don't go back far enough. And I still don't get the 'hump' thing. Why is your (or anyones) foot all the way up there? it's up closer to the seat than I place my feet. Hence it was a nonissue.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Bert02SS

For those of you who are down on T-tops, you might not be aware that every single 4th gen started life as a T-top. I've seen photos of the production line, and all you see is T-tops. A hardtop 4th gen is a T-top with some sheet metal GLUED on with structural adhesive. The 4th gens are truly the best of both worlds. The center spine retains the stiffness needed, so it's a different situation compared to a targa top. All sunroof will get you is increased weight, more mechanical complexity, less headroom, leakage issues, and a smallish hole in the roof.

Old 03-15-2006, 03:25 PM

Just to clarify I did not mean that since I don't like T-tops I don't think the car should have them as an option. Quite the opposite in fact. So many people love them I think the car will lose sales without a removeable roof of some sort. I personally will go one extreme or the other next time. Just my opinion. And regardless of whether or not they all start as T-tops the Hard tops are more structurally sound. T-tops aren't that bad, but the hard tops are better.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:43 PM

TTops are pretty much a must have for me, I probably won't buy a 5th gen if it doesn't have them.

And in addition to the open air, one reason I like them is because they are totally 70s-80s retro. Nothing says Camaro/Firebird like cruising Panama City Beach with Poison cranked and the T-Tops off.

Plus The Bandit had them. If The Bandit did it, then so should you

Quick Reply: In my opinion...