2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My God... the most disturbing thing about this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 05:59 PM

No but reading comprehension is.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Now this, I agree with wholeheartedly. Camaro needs to tap into fresh buyers in a big way. In a way it hasn't done in over two decades. The enthusiast community doesn't really need much marketing. The nuts and bolts and performance figures will market themselves to these groups.

Regarding those new buyers, I am concerned if Camaro will produce the right MPG numbers to attract them in large numbers. We'll see.

Getting back to the Z/28 and this article....

Although this particular Z/28 does not address my specific formula for it, I hope it survives and thrives, since it'll be so recognizable as a halo for the rest of the line and be such a powerful marketing icon.

OTOH, I can see the sensitivity of bringing out a 4100 pound, 6.2 liter, supercharged, Camaro, in our current environment. It's kind of like lighting up a filterless Lucky Strike and reminiscing about your baby seal clubbing expedition, while ordering the veal, at the Audubon Society luncheon.
Charlie,
You owe me a new Cheesburger, most of the old one is now on my monitor.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Banned

It's coming, but from Mr. Lutz's own mouth, it is priced at a premium, with no regards to the competition.
So...yea, its gonna die pretty soon imo.
I base this off the rumors of the Mustang GT getting a bump in HP and of course rising gas prices. Who know's though.

Edit: For the guys going to flame me.
The death of the Camaro came at a time when it out performed the GT/Cobra in every test pretty much(other than I read here that the build quality sucks from previous gens.)
So, if from what I have been reading here, its coming...with a high price....at a bad time...and the Mustang drove the nail in the coffin in the past. Interesting....

All this said, I wanted one bad, until someone put a speech up from Bob saying all this "premium price" crap.
Not a good thing imo, but, of course everyone on message boards makes 1 million dollars an hour and lives at home with mom n dad. /lol

Last edited by Sephiroth; 07-11-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:08 PM

Now that is a serious case of reading comprehension failure.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 8Banger
Holy crap!! Well, if the Z28 does come out, it's really gonna be hard to get your hands
on one now. People are gonna get panic-ed to buy one now or wait and never get the chance again.
No, but I wish I worked at a high lvl in the division right now.

Letting info go on in this site about the Camaro being a "premium vehicle" priced above competition.
Gas........yea....go ahead and charge that premium.

The Camaro died before..."Hay guyz, lets like, make it expensive n stuff lolz".
Old 07-11-2008, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastdog
Everyones perceptions may, indeed, be different. My impression of Z/28 prices, and I have purchased five of them over the course of four generations, it has always been a sweet deal BUT not cheap.

A bargain is a matter of perceived value.

My 1969 Z/28 was a bit over $3,600.00. It certainly wasn't econo car money in '69. It was a looker, a runner, and I loved the car. It didn't have air conditioning. Lower performance V-8 Camaros were priced considerably less at the time. I think a base SS Camaro was a hundred or two less.. I may be getting older, but my memory of these sorts of things is usually quite good.

At the time I bought the '69 dealers were not discounting Z/28's at all. During the time from my order for the car and the building Chevrolet was required the console and guage package as a forced option. I really didn't want the option, but it wasn't that big of a deal to me in the final analysis. WHen my car came in < LeMans Blue , cowl induction, white interior > the dealer was quite interested in me going for an SS off the lot instead. Even to the point of being willing to discount any SS they had to get me off the Z/28. It was that hot of a car at the time and I had spec'ed one that was a good showroom piece. Point is, I never recall Camaro being the bargain basement fast car. I was the genuine performance "deal"... "cheap"? NO.

My 1970 1/2 Z/28 was a little more in price... still no air. My '79 was a little over $6500. I converted it from an automatic to a 4 speed within days... Put a 3:73 posi in it as well.

My 1982 Z/28 was a under $10,500. My '95 was close to $23,500. All were memorable rides and I have tons of good memories of them. I saw them all as good deals. I don't recall any being the least expensive ways to go. Just the best.

I think in the 60's and 70's the Z was always a higher base priced Camaro. Granted, you could option an SS higher out the door.

The return of the SS Camaro in the 1990's was where the base price reversed with the SS being the pricier base car in comparison.

I really don't know what the pricing will show for the 5th gen. I am confident it will still be a performance bargain.

I'm sure if my recollection is clouded, someone will step up to correct me.
That's exactly my take as well. Until halfway through the 4th gen, the Z/28 always had a premium base MSRP compared to the other Camaros. Although never cheap, they always represented an excellent performance value.

And what was with the automatic on your '79?
Old 07-11-2008, 07:00 PM

No....

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
I posted this on another site -- and I'll post it here.

I am not doubting that Jim got a telephone call from someone -- but I don't know who that is -- and rumors are running rampant here in the Motor City right now -- so --if it makes you feel better -- send a note as SuperChevy is asking you to do ---

now -- that said: without further ado:

"...........Articles like this really put me up the wall -- past the pictures -- and on to the ceiling.

The Camaro (and Z28) is not Dead.

(......in my opinion, there are some in the enthusiast community that hope it does die -- esp. on certain sites -- and that confounds me........not to mention giving a dangerous boost to my blood pressure......)

I don't know how these things get life -- but let me assure EVERYONE -- that every car and truck program out there is on the table right now -- and I think I can safely say that this is the case at the other two American manufacturers -- all one has to do is to look at what's happening to new vehicle sales -- coupled with the housing meltdown -- the budget deficit -- the elections -- the Dow Jones Industrials down by a breathtaking amount -- and of course, high energy costs that are forcing the price of everything upward................

Let us take a quick walk down memory lane - shall we?

The year is 1979 -- interest rates are double digit -- energy costs and inflation are spiraling out of control.......people are "upside down" on their loans for pickups and large cars................

.....................and yet Chevrolet somehow sold 282,000 Camaros -- TEN years into a lifecycle.

Yes -- the times are different -- but I'm betting that when people see the production car -- they see the value that the car offers -- and they see the fuel economy -- we'll sell a lot of 'em.

........I said a long time ago "Have Faith" -- and that's what I'm saying once again.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Freebird

No Trans Am=no care.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 PM

http://www.leftlanenews.com/camaro-w...8-is-dead.html

is this more of the same, or some new insider leaked info???????
Old 07-11-2008, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by FactoryZ
http://www.leftlanenews.com/camaro-w...8-is-dead.html

is this more of the same, or some new insider leaked info???????
It sounds like Chris Doane read the same info we've all seen and then his source confirmed it. I believe he's one of the main spy photographers these days.

Remember that it could be put back on at any time, or the source could be wrong or....

I have to agree with Charlie and others who've said it that a 4100 pound 550hp sports car is politically not the best thing at this point in time.

Since much of politics is about appearances, it doesn't matter that the cars probably would not be driven a lot, or that there would only be a few thousand a year, or that there are dozens of other ways to emit more carbon dioxide for your $40000.

Maybe this opens up the possibility for a lightweight Z28 instead...?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
That's exactly my take as well. Until halfway through the 4th gen, the Z/28 always had a premium base MSRP compared to the other Camaros. Although never cheap, they always represented an excellent performance value.
From 1985-1990, the IROC-Z was above the Z/28.

My recollection is that the Camaro SS was not produced from 1973 to 1995, and that the Z28 was top dog from 1973 to 1984 and then 1991 to 1995. In gen1 and gen2, the SS had the big block.

Unfortunately, the Camaro never got the 454, to the best of my knowledge, save for a few one-offs.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Ray
No Trans Am=no care.

You dont even own a Chevrolet car..
Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 PM

THE Z/28 IS NOT DEAD!
You will still be able to get one if you want.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by number77
THE Z/28 IS NOT DEAD!
Several people who *work on the program* seem to think otherwise...

*shrug*
Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Admin Emeritus

Nope, not true. Merging with the existing thread from Tuesday in the right forum.

Quick Reply: My God... the most disturbing thing about this...