2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Mustang just aged 20 years...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 03:11 PM

The Mustang just aged 20 years...

Is it just me or does the new Camaro make the Mustang look rather dated now? Sure the 5th gen has strong 1st gen cues but it also looks very modern... don't know how that is possible but they did it, its like eating your cake and having it too. Great job Scott and team Camaro!!! I'm saving already!
Old 01-07-2006, 03:16 PM

Re: The Mustang just aged 20 years...

It made the Challenger as well, well wait a minute the Challenger was 35 years old already!

I love the nose of the new camaro, the grill area and headlights could have been bigger but then again, I'm not taking final judgement til I can see one up close.

But Scott and the people that worked on this I applaud you thank you very much!.
Old 01-07-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by IntimidatorSS
It made the Challenger as well, well wait a minute the Challenger was 35 years old already!

I love the nose of the new camaro, the grill area and headlights could have been bigger but then again, I'm not taking final judgement til I can see one up close.

But Scott and the people that worked on this I applaud you thank you very much!.

Scott's driving over to the R&T offices right now, bloodshot eyes, white knuckles, you get the idea.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:11 PM

They all look like they all belong together.

I think the Camaro falls between the Mustang and Challenger for retroness. They all look old and not very impressive to me.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:13 PM

aged 20 years???I think this looks pretty good..........http://www.roadandtrack.com/custom/g...image_ref=0006

Oh, and I'll be driving that for 2 1/2 years before your car even comes in.

here's the final version...........http://info.detnews.com/pix/photogal...t500/index.htm

Last edited by 94Z28/03mach1; 01-07-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Lounge Moderator

My girlfriend, who knows nothing of cars, came in to see the pic.

"It looks like a Mustang."

I showed her some old Camaro pics in defiance...She calmly said,"All I know is that, if I saw that car on the street, I'd think it's a new mustang."
Old 01-07-2006, 04:30 PM

I second the "they belong together", I like the Muscle Car wars being reignited, but not with the same cars...
I'm not real keen on the "Hockey-Stick" body treatment the concept is sporting, it really does make it look like a Mustang, sorta.
I was hoping it would follow the Vette's example of "CUES" from every generation, not cut and paste...it just doesn't seem to "Flow" well.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:34 PM

I don't see how anyone could see a Mustang in the new Camaro. Challenger maybe, but Mustang is quite a stretch. I'm betting it has more to do with the retro styling.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:44 PM
Prominent Member

Bottom line is that to the untrained eye....even the 1st gens looked similar to the Mustangs of the era...so it doesn't surpise me that some would see the resemblence now....
Old 01-07-2006, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Shockwave

I showed it to two of my staff, who are women and they both said.... "Nice Mustang".

I don't know if that's good or bad.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shockwave

I showed her some old Camaro pics in defiance...She calmly said,"All I know is that, if I saw that car on the street, I'd think it's a new mustang."
Heh.. that's like me saying that all gangsta rap sound alike... I'm not a gangsta rap fan and so I have no clue.

If GM builds this car - it needs to market th F*** out of it and make sure people know it exists!!! and that it's not a Moostang.

When I look closer I do see some suprising similarity between the squished greenhouses of the new 'Stang and 5th gen concept. Both have windshields with squared off corners and the same approximate front and side profiles afaikt. But that's about all I see in terms of similarity. Overall, the 5th gen concept looks a lot more agressive IMO.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:01 PM

Mustang? How is that possible? Oh well they are the people who buy V6 mustangs, women who think its cute.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by TA76
Is it just me or does the new Camaro make the Mustang look rather dated now?

Just you, however the potential 5th gen is turning out to be a fine looking car. Give it 400/400 for power in Z/28 trim and I'd give it a second look when I'm in the market for a new car.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
They all look like they all belong together.

I think the Camaro falls between the Mustang and Challenger for retroness. They all look old and not very impressive to me.
The picture looks OK, and I'm waiting to see what it looks like in person, but I also think they may have gotten a better response if they didn't follow everyone else down the retro path. To me, retro sometimes seems like a cop-out, like they ran out of ideas, so go backwards. Kind of like Hollywood remaking all the old movies. I guess it will be OK if the public is enamored with it, and it sells like hotcakes (ala Mustang), but personally I'd rather see a evolution of the 4th gen, rather than a modern interpretation (trying to avoid the "R" word) of an old theme. That being said, IMO it definitely looks less retro than the Mustang and Challanger.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:23 PM

Nope

If GM could go back in time and update the third generation Camaro, this would be a very decent upgrade. I'm not completely nuts about the design, but I don't hate it either.

I am a little disappointed that the design doesn't look like an updated '69 Camaro, but I suppose that's okay.

The Mustang still looks good, this new Camaro looks pretty good but the Dodge Challenger still looks the best. To everyman his own. Cheers!

Quick Reply: The Mustang just aged 20 years...