2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A "Mustang Guy" point of view on the new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 PM

A "Mustang Guy" point of view on the new Camaro

OK guys, I'm not gonna beat around the bush - I love the new Camaro. It's not perfect but it's darn near as close as you can get it to perfect in my opinion.
Right before I got my license all i wanted was a Camaro with a V8. It was 1987 and as much as I begged my dad wouldn't let me get a muscle car for my first car. Anyways i remember one day reading (If I remember right) and issue of Road and Track where I read something about them pitting a fully loaded top of the line Camaro IROC Z with a 350 against the base model 5.0 Notchback. In the quarter mile the coupe took down the IROC by 2/10 of a second. Although a minimal margin - it did it with 48 less cubes and it was cheaper. All of the sudden my attention was on Mustangs.
I have always liked styling and the way Ford Marketed the Mustang. I've owned about 4 now and still love 'em.
The new 2005+ Mustang in my opinion is a homerun and I love the new styling and what they are doing with that car. But now with the new Challenger and new Camaro coming it's again, there's now more options than ever especially when the Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro are all well executed from what I have researched.
Being an industrial designer, and car stylist, clean and aggressibve styling is what catches my attention first. For many years, the Camaro interior has just not been one of it's strong points. The last generation of the Camaro before it was cancelled in 02 just looked fat and heavy to me. I look at that new camaro, and they have done what i think is a great job with the production car cleaning up the lines and details, keeping it true to the concept, and on top of that I think the interior is absolutely killer lookin' In my opinion, this is the best Camaro design execution since 1974. This car is beautiful!
For me, I'm hoping Ford doesn't "screw up" the restyle on the mustang for 2010. I'm hoping for a 69-70 Boss-like Mustang with clean aggressive lines. If Ford doesn't come out with something like that, I'll be considering a new Camaro instead of a new Mustang to park in the garage.

Great job GM. Can't wait to see it in person.

John
Old 07-28-2008, 08:44 PM

Shoulda chosen the IROC-Z. Had better style and overall performance, magazines were terrible about getting good times out of the torque happy, difficult to launch L98.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine1
Right before I got my license all i wanted was a Camaro with a V8.
The Bowtie brigade would be happy to fulfill your request for you. Several years later, but give you what you wanted none the less.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:48 AM

For many years, the Camaro interior has just not been one of it's strong points.
If you think that any of the Mustang interiors prior to the '05 are any nicer, you've got a warped opinion on interiors?! (I've always thought the Mustang interiors up to '04 were cheaper looking, and not laid out as nicely as the Camaro's )

The last generation of the Camaro before it was cancelled in 02 just looked fat and heavy to me.
That's pretty ironic if you think about it ..... the car that was relatively "light", all things considered, is the car you thought looked fat and heavy. But the car that IS fat and heavy, you're happy with the looks of?! (I'm not trying to knock you, I'm just pointing out the irony in that ).

I look at that new camaro, and they have done what i think is a great job with the production car cleaning up the lines and details, keeping it true to the concept, and on top of that I think the interior is absolutely killer lookin' In my opinion, this is the best Camaro design execution since 1974.
Say what?! My apologies to '74 - '77 Camaro fans, but those years were like the "ugly ducklings" of the Camaro through its entire life cycle! The initial design in 1967 was great. The new look in 1970 was great. The updated look in '78 was great (yeah, the one that replaced the '74-'77 appearance ). The '82 was a new, lean, mean, "modern" machine. And the '93 was a welcome, sporty design when it hit the streets.

... the 1974???? Yeah, you could call it a "design execution" of sorts . But maybe that's JMO??

Last edited by Capn Pete; 07-29-2008 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Say what?! My apologies to '74 - '77 Camaro fans, but those years were like the "ugly ducklings" of the Camaro through its entire life cycle! The initial design in 1967 was great. The new look in 1970 was great. The updated look in '78 was great (yeah, the one that replaced the '74-'77 appearance ). The '82 was a new, lean, mean, "modern" machine. And the '93 was a welcome, sporty design when it hit the streets.

... the 1974???? Yeah, you could call it a "design execution" of sorts . But maybe that's JMO??
No, your opinion is shared by many.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:18 PM

Don't forget that just about any vehicle from all the car makers were pretty damn ugly from 74-77.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:35 PM

OK guys, I'm not gonna beat around the bush - I love the new Camaro. It's not perfect but it's darn near as close as you can get it to perfect in my opinion.
Right before I got my license all i wanted was a Camaro with a V8. It was 1987 and as much as I begged my dad wouldn't let me get a muscle car for my first car. Anyways i remember one day reading (If I remember right) and issue of Road and Track where I read something about them pitting a fully loaded top of the line Camaro IROC Z with a 350 against the base model 5.0 Notchback. In the quarter mile the coupe took down the IROC by 2/10 of a second. Although a minimal margin - it did it with 48 less cubes and it was cheaper. All of the sudden my attention was on Mustangs.
I have always liked styling and the way Ford Marketed the Mustang. I've owned about 4 now and still love 'em.
The new 2005+ Mustang in my opinion is a homerun and I love the new styling and what they are doing with that car. But now with the new Challenger and new Camaro coming it's again, there's now more options than ever especially when the Mustang, Challenger, and Camaro are all well executed from what I have researched.
Being an industrial designer, and car stylist, clean and aggressibve styling is what catches my attention first. For many years, the Camaro interior has just not been one of it's strong points. The last generation of the Camaro before it was cancelled in 02 just looked fat and heavy to me. I look at that new camaro, and they have done what i think is a great job with the production car cleaning up the lines and details, keeping it true to the concept, and on top of that I think the interior is absolutely killer lookin' In my opinion, this is the best Camaro design execution since 1974. This car is beautiful!
For me, I'm hoping Ford doesn't "screw up" the restyle on the mustang for 2010. I'm hoping for a 69-70 Boss-like Mustang with clean aggressive lines. If Ford doesn't come out with something like that, I'll be considering a new Camaro instead of a new Mustang to park in the garage.

Great job GM. Can't wait to see it in person.

John
I Personally have been a Pontiac Firebird fan my whole life, My First Car was a 1971 Pontiac Trans AM 455 (God I loved that Car) I have never owned Fords until the 2005 Mustang GT.. and I must say I was Very impressed with it. My First Time at the track with less than 3000 miles on it and I ran a 13.6 in the 1/4 mile and it was an Automatic, I was hooked again. After an intake, tune and gears, I was consistant at 13.3 @ 105. I still got 24mpg highway and could not get enough of the exhaust sound... The interior was better than most of my older GM cars and I enjoyed the way the car rode. I almost bought the 05 GTO but could not get over the "Jelly Bean" Look and the weird rear tire issue ( why it looks smaller)

From 1982 on I never liked the hatchback so I lost intrest. I got into 4X4's and off road racing. I owned several chevy trucks and Jeeps, setteled on the Best one, 2000 Silverado Z71 off road 4X4.

I just purchased a 2006 Corvette for my Wife and that thing is a POS. it's two weeks old and it's in the shop for rearend issues, the door panels fall off when you slam the door, the ***** break off, turn Sig does not work. I hope the Camaro quality is better. I for one will bee parking my New Camaro right next to my Mustang....

Last edited by 2K05GT; 07-29-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by jmzlt1
Don't forget that just about any vehicle from all the car makers were pretty damn ugly from 74-77.
NOPE, I loved all the 1970 -1981 Trans AMs I wish I could own them all,
You know I woulf sell my Kids if GM would come out with a 2012 Trans Am
heck I would sell everything I own, that how much of a TA guy I am,
Old 07-31-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by 2K05GT
NOPE, I loved all the 1970 -1981 Trans AMs I wish I could own them all,
You know I woulf sell my Kids if GM would come out with a 2012 Trans Am
heck I would sell everything I own, that how much of a TA guy I am,
Well, not that much of a TA guy. I mean, you could own one right now instead of your Mustang for crying out loud.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 AM

I just purchased a 2006 Corvette for my Wife and that thing is a POS.
Bro, it's at least two YEARS old.

Which means it's still under warranty. They'll fix it.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
The updated look in '78 was great (yeah, the one that replaced the '74-'77 appearance ).
i had a 78 with the old dash.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by ZZtop
Well, not that much of a TA guy. I mean, you could own one right now instead of your Mustang for crying out loud.
after 1983 I could not stand the looks of the Camaro and Trans am, I Hate Hatch Backs........ For me it killed the car, I love the 70's coupe style cars.

Originally Posted by PacerX
Bro, it's at least two YEARS old.

Which means it's still under warranty. They'll fix it.

Yes it's in the Shop right now getting the work done under warranty, the point is that this is the second time the vette has been in the shop since we bought it.

Last edited by 2K05GT; 07-31-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:18 PM

after 1983 I could not stand the looks of the Camaro and Trans am, I Hate Hatch Backs........ For me it killed the car, I love the 70's coupe style cars.

Yes it's in the Shop right now getting the work done under warranty, the point is that this is the second time the vette has been in the shop since we bought it.
If you go by a Roll Royce, Lexus, MB, or any high line car dealership you will notice that all of those service departments are full of cars there for repairs..they all break down one way or the other...it is not just your car...
Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 PM

K...

Lemme see if I understand...

You buy a USED car, the car then has problems (which may or may not have been found in a thorough pre-sale inspection), GM then fixes the problems FOR FREE, and you're pissed off about it???

Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Shoulda chosen the IROC-Z. Had better style and overall performance, magazines were terrible about getting good times out of the torque happy, difficult to launch L98.
Sounds about right, i dunno how many times my "puny" little 305 tuned port took down 91 5.0 mustang gt's.

Quick Reply: A "Mustang Guy" point of view on the new Camaro