2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More NASCAR/Pony car talk

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 08:36 AM

More NASCAR/Pony car talk

Remember the thread about that. Found this article posted on Jayski:

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60417030/1111

Interesting.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:55 AM

Re: More NASCAR/Pony car talk

Also about a week or so ago Outside the Lines Nightly did a story about "Buschwackers" and the subject eventually veered onto how can the series be made different from Cup. Having the pony cars would be a great idea because maybe the it would make things fair for the Busch guys competing against the cup guys and be able to promote the series in a new way
Old 04-19-2006, 09:20 AM

I think the main thing that would kill this ideas is that it has the potential to become more popular than the Cup series.

I used to be a big fan of NASCAR racing. However, all of the cars have lost their identities, and NASCAR does everything it can to stifle innovation. If they can bring that back into the Busch series, it may intice me back.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by rlchv70
I think the main thing that would kill this ideas is that it has the potential to become more popular than the Cup series.

I used to be a big fan of NASCAR racing. However, all of the cars have lost their identities, and NASCAR does everything it can to stifle innovation. If they can bring that back into the Busch series, it may intice me back.
I don't personally think it would make Busch more popular than Cup. In the enthusiast circles (like 90% of this message board) it might, but the general public I wouldn't IMO.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:59 AM

I think one of the series should use the Camaro if it comes back. They use to say win on sunday, sell on monday. Nobody buys that front drive Monte Carlo because of Nascar though. They might if the car was the Camaro.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:28 AM

I' d personnally would rather see the Camaro enter the Speed World Challenge series like the CTS-V's. Production cars, in a competition that includes handling, braking, and acceleration would definately highlight the improvements the Camaro has made in teh 5th gen, get away from the mullet image. If The Camaro enters, i'd bet Ford will enter the Mustang, and further Speed W/C's image as the modern day Trans Am.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:49 AM

Wow. Uttering Toyota Solara in the same sentence as Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger when you are talking Pony Cars is more than ridiculous.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:05 PM

SCCA is looking for someone to franchise the "Trans Am" name, so why not restrict it to road courses and bring back the series?
Old 04-19-2006, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRSguy
I' d personnally would rather see the Camaro enter the Speed World Challenge series like the CTS-V's. Production cars, in a competition that includes handling, braking, and acceleration would definately highlight the improvements the Camaro has made in teh 5th gen, get away from the mullet image. If The Camaro enters, i'd bet Ford will enter the Mustang, and further Speed W/C's image as the modern day Trans Am.

Originally Posted by jg95z28
SCCA is looking for someone to franchise the "Trans Am" name, so why not restrict it to road courses and bring back the series?
Yeah I agree....I would rather "Camaro" stay away from NASCAR, but I would it to run in a pony car series
Old 04-19-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by azfan
I think one of the series should use the Camaro if it comes back. They use to say win on sunday, sell on monday. Nobody buys that front drive Monte Carlo because of Nascar though.....
You'd be surprized to learn that even here on a site like this, there are actually a few people who would argue that point.

Either way, I find it pretty disturbing. If they're wrong, there's people on enthusiasts sites who are incredibly nieve and not exactly bright. If they're right, then it plays into the NASCAR fan stereotype.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:56 PM
jms

There is a history of NASCAR and pony cars.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, NASCAR had the Grand American Series which had Camaros, Mustangs, Firebirds, Cougars, etc, much like the Trans-Am series.

http://www.goldeneagleracing.com/Photos7/tlund.jpg

http://www.tinylund.com/TinyLundDaytSign.jpg

http://www.tinylund.com/69camarotiny...ndamerican.jpg

Of course, "modern" NASCAR would have them all look the same with just different decals for the headlights.

jms
Old 04-22-2006, 09:18 AM

Something needs to be done with the Busch series... yesterday the top Busch series drive (not full time cup driver) was 8th, and the top Busch driver, Paul Menard, is 6th in points. I suppose more Nascar fans watch Busch because of the cup drivers, though, so it's quite the catch-22.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:24 AM

There used to be a runle in ARCA that if you were top 25 or 35 in Cup, you couldnt run an ARCA race. Maybe Im dreaming but I wanna say it was so.

Thats what the Busch series needs.

Or... if you entered more than XX Cup races the previous years you cant run or whatever...
Old 04-22-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by graham
There used to be a runle in ARCA that if you were top 25 or 35 in Cup, you couldnt run an ARCA race. Maybe Im dreaming but I wanna say it was so.

Thats what the Busch series needs.

Or... if you entered more than XX Cup races the previous years you cant run or whatever...
They just need to quit letting the Cup drivers running the BGN series period. A long time ago, only 2 or 3 Cup drivers raced in BGN, and that was sparingly. Now you have like 15 Cup drivers that double dip in both series and run a full schedule in each. The highest non cup driver in BGN right now I think is either Jason Keller or Johnny Sauter. However Keller just lost his ride while residing 9th in points.(Which I think is outrageous, he is a good driver)
Old 04-26-2006, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRSguy

I agree. I like that type of racing much better.

Quick Reply: More NASCAR/Pony car talk