2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the love of all that is holy, it better have forged slugs!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
I think that there's probably as much of a chance of a different engine being used than those parts changing in the LSA.

Old GM or new GM, I don't think they're into switching gears in mid-stream. The progran developed in 2006 is the car they'll bring in '11 or '12 or whenever....
Old 02-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
I think that there's probably as much of a chance of a different engine being used than those parts changing in the LSA.
Then they will present us with (yet another) stupid decision of epic proportions, that on the surface seems like the right thing to do because the bean counters came up with a business case that is divorced from reality, but will yet again make them the deserved object of derision that they have become.

Hopefully, they're not that dumb.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:03 AM

LS7...... i know it wont happen but i still think it would be the best for the car.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
LS7...... i know it wont happen but i still think it would be the best for the car.
I agree and also agree it won't happen. Which makes the LS7 concept Camaro all the more cruel!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:46 PM

I think the likelyhood of forged pistons , let alone better rods ...showing up on this gen LSA engine are about as likely as Charlie falling madly in love with a 5th gen

GM always pulls the "too much noise at cold start up " card when the piston subject is brought up . I was shocked the LS9 got forged pistons .
Old 02-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by 90 Z28SS
I think the likelyhood of forged pistons , let alone better rods ...showing up on this gen LSA engine are about as likely as Charlie falling madly in love with a 5th gen

GM always pulls the "too much noise at cold start up " card when the piston subject is brought up . I was shocked the LS9 got forged pistons .
"Falling madly in love". Those are strong words my friend.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:13 PM

From what I have seen on Ford sites, forged rods and pistons would only add in the ballpark of $500 to the LSA. That isn't a lot of money and as was mentioned here would probably save more than that in warranty work and car sales due to the enthusiast crowds.

An LSA with forged internals would be enough to steal customers from a wide reach because as we know, there is no replacement for displacement. The Camaro would be bringing a tank to a bazooka fight or something like that (knife to gun fight doesn't work with the level the competition is at).
Old 02-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Honda journal titanium rods, lightened crank, forged pistons....

Wait... im not sleeping. Why am I dreaming? lol
Old 03-04-2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by graham
Honda journal titanium rods
you have piqued my curiosity?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:38 AM

excuse my stupid question but....are LS engines blowing up on a regular basis from weak internals?? I have had dozens of GM V8's since I was a kid and have NEVER had an issue and some were driven brutally hard...Forged hardware sounds cool and is nice talk but is it really necessary except for the ultimate track car??
My LS1 in my 01 Vette ran like a charm for nearly 100,000 miles and I drove it like I stole it and took it to Mosport for a few afternoons as well...
I know there has always been a slight piston slap issue (2000-2002 type range) although I was never affected....
Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
Then they will present us with (yet another) stupid decision of epic proportions, that on the surface seems like the right thing to do because the bean counters came up with a business case that is divorced from reality, but will yet again make them the deserved object of derision that they have become.

Hopefully, they're not that dumb.
Don't hold your breath...
Old 03-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by 426HPSS
excuse my stupid question but....are LS engines blowing up on a regular basis from weak internals?? I have had dozens of GM V8's since I was a kid and have NEVER had an issue and some were driven brutally hard...Forged hardware sounds cool and is nice talk but is it really necessary except for the ultimate track car??
My LS1 in my 01 Vette ran like a charm for nearly 100,000 miles and I drove it like I stole it and took it to Mosport for a few afternoons as well...
I know there has always been a slight piston slap issue (2000-2002 type range) although I was never affected....
Well prior to the powdered metal rods, all Chevy Rods were forged.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here if they did indeed have a cast rod and the famous Chevy pink rod was nothing more than a standard Chevy rod that had been magnafluxed and fitted with stronger rod bolts and splashed with some pink paint to indicate its status.

However forged components are more forgiving, especially when your taking what is probably marginal in anything other than a safe factory tune.

Personally, I'd fit the F5 SC V8 with a set of forged components (and tell the faithful got to hell if they bitch about piston slap) simply because there are some knuckleheads out there who are going to try and ring every last ounce of power out of tha engine even if they have to run it so lean the exhaust looks like a blow torch at idle.

But thats me, I'd rather deal with piston slap complaints and not the engine grenading in my top of the line pony car.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 426HPSS
Did you have a blower on your 2001 LS1 Vette? If not, then there are no issues with hyperpathetic pistons (which actually seal better/more consistently anyway) and relatively modest rods. On a N/A setup, they are perfectly fine (and perhaps even preferred).

However, the discussion issue here is a factory blown motor. While I have no doubt it will be built to withstand the factory power, lots of folks will want to up the boost (ala 03/04 Cobras and all GT500s), thus the desire for more forgiving pistons and rods.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Did you have a blower on your 2001 LS1 Vette? If not, then there are no issues with hyperpathetic pistons (which actually seal better/more consistently anyway) and relatively modest rods. On a N/A setup, they are perfectly fine (and perhaps even preferred).
The only things on early LS motors which could use some attention when modding lightly and will see lots of higher RPM operation would be rod bolts, timing chain, and adding a catch can in the PCV system. Road racers should go for a solid serpentine belt tensioner as the sprung is not the best way to go with lots of high rpm on/off throttle.

If emissions are not an issue, and you want a more carb throttle feel for heel and toe corner shifts, you could program for a faster throttle closure and injector decay [ know what you are doing if you go there ].

Drag racers could pass on the timing chain but autox and road racing with much more high rpm off throttle/on throttle use.

I also suggest valve spring maintenance and replace valve seals whenever springs are swapped.

An Accusump is not a bad insurance policy for road racing as well.

It's never a bad idea to go with the best stuff you can afford. It's a matter of how much you can budget for as opposed to what will likely live in many instances.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:38 AM

I am hoping for forged slugs big time. Unfortunately I think GM is going to look at it like you don't NEED forged pistons, they would just be nice for when your adding power and push it too far and get some detonation.

Quick Reply: For the love of all that is holy, it better have forged slugs!!!