2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just occurred to me

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 01:20 PM

Just occurred to me

Everyone keeps chiming in with change this and change that on the Camaro concept. The grill sucks, the tail lamps suck, the interior sucks. While its great that everyone is so enthusiastic about the Camaro concept; for those that are making such suggestions, has it ever occurred to you that the more changes that are made, the longer its going to take to put it in production?

Look at the Solstice. Minimal if no changes from the concept to production and it took what? two years to get it in dealer showrooms?

Ask yourself this, do you want the Camaro concept as is in 2008 as a 2009 MY Camaro? Or do you want some slight changes here and there and not see it until 2012?

I say just build the damn thing.

As we say in engineering, you can have it: exactly what you want; on time; or on budget... pick two.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:27 PM
Bert02SS

Re: Just occurred to me

And as they say in marketing: . . . What DO they say in marketing, anyway?

Old 02-09-2006, 01:27 PM

I'm happy with the way it looks.

I'm sure there'll be a large aftermarket that will allow owners to change the look he way they want.
Let GM build it and customize it yourself using the aftermarket.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bert02SS
And as they say in marketing: . . . What DO they say in marketing, anyway?
"Buy it or we break your legs."
Old 02-09-2006, 02:02 PM

I say build it now and give it little fixes here and there over the next few years before it gets a full redesign. That will give little differences for us enthusiasts to distinguish model years from a glance.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:14 PM
Prominent Member

I'll buy it just like it is....just build it sooner than later.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:18 PM

You're right...give me a substandard product right now.

I know what you're trying to say, but that was probably the dumbest way to say it. That's like all the other people who've chimed in with 'I don't care if it's a box on wheels, as long as it says 'Camaro' I'll buy it.

You can't change it to infinity, but crap can't go out the door for the sake of going out the door.

What would marketing say? Probably nothing, they wouldn't know any better.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:22 PM

I agree. Build it as is and some of the suggestions can be incorporated into design refreshes.
Old 02-09-2006, 02:38 PM

I like it as is......build the damn thing!
Old 02-09-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
You're right...give me a substandard product right now.

I know what you're trying to say, but that was probably the dumbest way to say it. That's like all the other people who've chimed in with 'I don't care if it's a box on wheels, as long as it says 'Camaro' I'll buy it.

You can't change it to infinity, but crap can't go out the door for the sake of going out the door.

What would marketing say? Probably nothing, they wouldn't know any better.
Why is it substandard and what makes it crap? It has the Corvette drivetrain, and we know that isn't substandard or crap. About all we have to go on otherwise is its its looks. Are you saying the design is "substandard" and "crap"? If so, that's purely subjective and has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle.

Maybe you're not the type of buyer Camaro would target in the first place.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Look at the Solstice. Minimal if no changes from the concept to production and it took what? two years to get it in dealer showrooms?
BAWH!!!!

2 years?

Try 43 months from NAIAS to showroom.

And it was "fast-tracked"
Old 02-09-2006, 03:32 PM

Why is it substandard and what makes it crap? It has the Corvette drivetrain, and we know that isn't substandard or crap. About all we have to go on otherwise is its its looks. Are you saying the design is "substandard" and "crap"? If so, that's purely subjective and has nothing to do with the quality of the vehicle.

Maybe you're not the type of buyer Camaro would target in the first place.
Those are exactly what all the complaints have been about, exterior and interior elements. I do recall a few comments close to 'crap' concerning the interior.

The 4th gens had a Corvette drivetrain that certainly wasn't crap....and certainly didin't help the car sell.

It's been suggested lately I'm not the Camaro's market anymore...I'm not stuck in the past nor depserate or insecure enough to buy the first thing the name is slapped onto.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:37 PM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)

Originally Posted by General Z
BAWH!!!!

2 years?

Try 43 months from NAIAS to showroom.

And it was "fast-tracked"
Here's another interpretation from this thread:
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...light=Solstice
Read what you will into it...

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
The Cobalt was done in 19 months.

It can be done.

It seems that the Solstice and SSR took forever.......the problem...again...is that they were concept cars with no plan initially to build them. It took a long time to get a 'green light'...but even then, they were done on a thread of a crew.......so the development time took longer.

It all comes down to Asset allocation........money/people/facilities. If the checkbook were a bottomless pit (as it once was in the 60s....) we could react very quickly........but you may have noticed that the auto industry is in a major hurricane at the moment!
Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 02-09-2006, 08:32 PM

I'd like to see as few changes made as possible and get the product out as quick as possible. Perhaps they might look at what people are saying and just change whatever the one thing is that people complain about the most. From what I've heard, that might be the grill or the front end. If they go by the data and the polls that they see, maybe it would be a wise thing to consider. Just my two cents.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:20 AM

As we say in engineering, you can have it: exactly what you want; on time; or on budget... pick two.
What is exactly what I want? and What is on budget? Alex

Originally Posted by dream '94 Z28
Those are exactly what all the complaints have been about, exterior and interior elements. I do recall a few comments close to 'crap' concerning the interior.

The 4th gens had a Corvette drivetrain that certainly wasn't crap....and certainly didin't help the car sell.

It's been suggested lately I'm not the Camaro's market anymore...I'm not stuck in the past nor depserate or insecure enough to buy the first thing the name is slapped onto.
Your saying exactly what Im thinking. Lets shove a vette engine under this here dash and call it 4th Gen. You dont need to work on it do ya? Make the car outta 90% glass with a redicuously long windshiled and hatch all glass and a pain to clean. As a joke lets over extend the freakin dash so that you really have to get up in there. Sure it looks good and will out perform all previous Camaros. Maybe they wont notice what the pit that is their trunk. 1st Gen may not have that performance but I can change my plugs in about 10 minutes, then my oil and my battery before I can even think about how to change my plugs on my 98 after dropping the Y pipe crawling under the long front overhang.

Its a good design but it certainly could use some tweaks. 94_Z_4 me sold me on the idea of the strut deck lid over the spring all parts costing relatively the same. I think it could benefit from the 69 wheel well lines that go back along the doors and rear 1/4's to give a fast standing still look

I dont subscribe to the we cant do retro because next gen will have to look to 2nd gen line of thinking. Challenger and Mustang shouldnt have a problem going to the next gen. Should the next Challenger be a 71? Maybe maybe not! Maybe the next Gen Challenger takes the Challenger concepts and benchmarks Camaro with the front rake. Maybe its an evoloution of that 70 in a different direction with a new spin.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 02-10-2006 at 02:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Just occurred to me