2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Interesting posts on the FastLane Blog...

Old 01-16-2006, 10:02 PM

Re: Interesting posts on the FastLane Blog...

Originally Posted by PacerX
Did anyone notice the F4 and F3 styling defenders?

There were a few of them, which I found to be quite a surprise...
Yeah, I noticed them...I should have been one of them as well. Probably stems from Lutz's comments about how "the later Camaros, especially the last of them, deviated too far from what Camaro always was." I kind of took offense to that. The 2002 Camaro was the low slung GT-style coupe the 1970 1/2 was.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I actually see alot of 3rd gen elements in the concept.
Yeah, but they don't really jump out at you at all. At least, not to me. I would like to be able to see at least some influence of the late models in the 5th gen, without having to nitpick the hell out of it to see them.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Yeah, but they don't really jump out at you at all. At least, not to me. I would like to be able to see at least some influence of the late models in the 5th gen, without having to nitpick the hell out of it to see them.

maybe they are easier to see in person.

guess you'll have to wait til it hits NY to find out
Old 01-16-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
maybe they are easier to see in person.

guess you'll have to wait til it hits NY to find out
Maybe I will.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:41 PM

I'd hope Chevy/GM realizes the power of the Z28 name over SS on the Camaro by now and what most enthusiats are looking for again, that return to the top and to greatness for the Z Camaro. They only had a T/A Z28, a real Z28, and an SS with Z28 stripes at the unveiling. (and a ZL1)

Last edited by IZ28; 01-16-2006 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by IZ28
We know Chevy/GM realizes the power of the SS name over Z28 on the Camaro by now, since they have all those buyers from 1998-2002 who forked over real money for one.
There.

Fixed it for you.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:41 AM
Prominent Member

Thread HI-JACK!!

Hey Danno....WTF were you at Detroit??!?...

Of all the poeple I wanted to meet, you were one of them!
Old 01-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Disciple

There.

Fixed it for you.
Did you happen to poll the the folks with the SSOA shirts at the unveil? We're the ones that forked out the "big bucks" for the 4th gen SS. I think you'd be surprised by how strong the support for a Z28 "track special" is.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
wow, it only took 2 posts to turn this into a Z/28 vs. SS thread.
Uhhhh... Actually the thread was about that to begin with.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:02 AM

There.

Fixed it for you.
What about all the people who payed for top model Z28's for 28 out of those 35 years???? WHO cares what happened in the 4th Gen?! It's done. The formula DIDN'T work, the cars barely sold, the public didn't care about them, they were the most unpopular Camaros ever. It's laughable and terrible at the same time. The ONLY reason SS's sold is because the Z28 was made to look like a bargain base car with a V8 and it was so plain and boring compared to the SS that no one wanted it.

The SS name doesn't have 1/10 of the following the Z28 does on a Camaro. Calling the 4th Gen SS that was a mistake. All of those things should have went to the Z28, especially since SS's got what all Z28's before were known for. It was just another marketing ploy to try and get some sales and bring back a name, but the mistake was made when they didn't realize what they were doing to the Z28's name and how people would react when they really thought about it, there have been revisionist remarks and arguements all over the place for years now. I don't understand WHY anyone would ever want the top car to have a name that all other regular (key word right there) Chevys have and a name that was mostly associated with slow 350 cars from 67-73 besides the occasional big block, over the Camaro-specific name of a true performer right from the start that the Z28 always was. It is the racer, the handler, the braker, the one with distinct looks, the one that went racing and won, the name that stayed with it always, it IS the Camaro legend, not the SS. That's what a top car is. So what if the SS had big blocks, the only one that could hold off a Z28 in a straight line was the L78 and they were rare. SS's never got the Corvette stuff the Z28 got either like the LT1, wheels, etc., (pre 4th Gen) and wasn't advertised as the closest thing to a Corvette either. I know people that won't buy a 5th Gen based on the Z28 principal alone if what they did is not corrected, I know of no one that feels that way about the SS. Why is that, oh yeah, because the Z is MORE important to the car.

Last edited by IZ28; 01-17-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:16 AM

In 1969, a Camaro in "SS" trim was RPO-Z27...
I guess that settles which is top dog in GM's eyes.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by R377
"Berlinetta" always meant "chick car" to me: V6 engines, tuned to be cushy, and not a lot of performance. Probably not needed for the F5.

I think we'll do fine with a base Camaro; Z28 with a V8; and SS with the hi-po V8.
Berlinetta meant "chick" version to me as well. Exterior styling was at the bottom. Usually, they came in weird colors, such as brown and tan. No ground effects. 1950s high profile tires.

Personally, I never cared for the Berlinetta looks or name. But to each their own. They sold very well, and particularly during the very popular 3rd generation lineup.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Yeah, I noticed them...I should have been one of them as well. Probably stems from Lutz's comments about how "the later Camaros, especially the last of them, deviated too far from what Camaro always was." I kind of took offense to that. The 2002 Camaro was the low slung GT-style coupe the 1970 1/2 was.
And lets not forget that the 3rd gen won a huge amount of awards - both domestically *AND* over seas.

When is the last time an American made car was called "The most beautiful car made" by European press? Even the '06 Z06 was trashed by British media.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:39 AM

All B.L. is doing is making excuses for the 1st Gen retroness of this car. Notice how it's only being associated with 1st Gens and they haven't shown ANY OTHER Gen of the car at the show or in the intro video? Not even a mention, because they must do what the M*stang and Dodge does. I find it somewhat offensive and I think if they do people will just realize that IROC-Z's were the nicest Camaros again and ask for a retro 3rd Gen. They already know how the public recognizes Third Gen's and IROC-Z's as the ultimate Camaro's due to their own polls and surveys.

The 2nd Gen was the lowest, widest, and biggest car of all. Thirds were a tiny bit higher and more 1st Gen sized, except more raked. 4ths became big again, got slightly higher, but the rake and design went over the top. I feel like they're going for a mix of 1st and Third Gen in the feel and design of this car. It's just that the 1st Gen out weighs the 3rd in it so much. I guess they just can't be leaders and make a new looking design with cues from many different models/Gens of the car. They should stop trying to include Cadillac and Corvette in it's looks also, it's a Camaro.

Last edited by IZ28; 01-17-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
In 1969, a Camaro in "SS" trim was RPO-Z27...
I guess that settles which is top dog in GM's eyes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Interesting posts on the FastLane Blog...