2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IF GM is worried about having a 5th gen firebird to much like a camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:41 AM

IF GM is worried about having a 5th gen firebird to much like a camaro...

Look at the Ford MoCo

Mazada 6
Ford Fusion
Mercury Millan
Lincoln Zeypher

These 4 cars are the same

Look at Chrysler and the 300 and charger as well....

GM do not be affraid to have a Pontiac and Chevy share platforms

I also heard that GM is going to bring the Pontiac Pusuit to the USA ( right now it is the Canada's Pontiac Colbalt) If they are going to do this, they should have no worry or shame having a Camaro AND Firebird
Old 02-22-2006, 08:50 AM

Re: IF GM is worried about having a 5th gen firebird to much like a camaro...

Personally, it makes ALL THE SENSE to have some brands sharing cars. If somebody thinks the Camaro looks like a piece of ****, give them a Modern firebird to also choose from. same power and performance, different look. Because MANY of the parts are the same, the development costs arn't ridiculous. You're saving money.

It's all about choices.. everyone says you should have many engines to choose from.. however, if you don't like the looks ofthe Camaro, you have nothing to choose from. Atleast, not from GM.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:56 AM

I think Zeta is flexible enough to allow the Firebird, if it should return, to be quite different both outside and inside.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:15 AM

Keep in mind though, GM has said they want to move Pontiac upscale to compete head-to-head against BMW. For that reason alone I see no GTO or Firebird, but instead a V8 RWD coupe and sedan. (Can you say G8?)
Old 02-22-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Keep in mind though, GM has said they want to move Pontiac upscale to compete head-to-head against BMW. For that reason alone I see no GTO or Firebird, but instead a V8 RWD coupe and sedan. (Can you say G8?)
I agree completely, however people are still going to talk Firebird until and unless Pontiac gets the axe.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 AM

Nobody makes a good entry level car anymore. EVERYTHING is retro.
Just wait in a few years someone will come out with a current design and it will be all the rage for its innovation

Sure the firebird won't happen, but if I had to dream I would make it continue the modern road while the camaro went the retro road. That way you please both sides.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:32 AM

Ok.. ok.. So make an upscale Firebird.

**** its redneck upbringing.. Make the Firebird a BMW competitor like you said.

I think everyone here knows when you hear "Trans-Am" you think the MUST-HAVE car of the 70's-80's. Well if you upscale the Trans-am, you could increase that effect. The name itself screams I want it. So give it the glory of a "BMW", and I think you can have something there.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Well, isn't GM setting its sights on BMW 3 series with Camaro? Well, if you believe that press release that was posted here.

So why can't Firebird be reborn as a competitor as well? Other than maybe a stigma with the name, I don't see if built right, nice interior, no squeeks and rattles, why it wouldn't be considered a competitor to BMW.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Last of a Breed
Well, isn't GM setting its sights on BMW 3 series with Camaro? Well, if you believe that press release that was posted here.

So why can't Firebird be reborn as a competitor as well? Other than maybe a stigma with the name, I don't see if built right, nice interior, no squeeks and rattles, why it wouldn't be considered a competitor to BMW.
Good point. GM seems willing to work to overcome the Camaro stigma, and I'd say the 'bird has less of that stigma, though the Trans Am has more IMO. Does the nostalgia factor outweigh the stigma factor these days?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:41 AM

I really do wish they would build a new Firebird on the Camaro platform. The Camaro could take the 69 styling and the Firebird could take more of the 2nd gen styling if people don't like the 1st gen styling. I'm really partial to this one.

or if they want a 1st gen firebird, what about one like this
Old 02-22-2006, 10:43 AM

bbg: i completely agree about the 2nd gen comment.

I really. really ****ing love the concept that guy did for that. It SCREAMS 2nd gen brutality. It *IS* a trans-am. It's ****ing marvellous.

I have to say.. it's exactly what it was. It looks so much meaner than the Camaro (like it has always been). It's so good. Sadly, it will probably never be made.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:59 AM

The whole Pontiac vs BMW would make sense with some of the new cars they're bringin out (i.e. Solstice vs Z4) but technically if GM wants to have a full out luxury brand to compete with BMW why not Cadillac (doesn't it already?) or hell Buick, it USED to be a luxury brand.

I have no doubt that sometime down the road someone, somewhere will make a body kit for the 5th Gen Camaro to make it a makeshift "Trans AM"
Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 AM

Cadillac has half a "ghetto" and half an upperclass stigma in it. the way they're going with it, it's definitely up there.. along the lines of Linoln.. not so much BMW, because BMW is more sporty.. Cadillac is more luxury.

Buick ugh.. I honestly see nothing going for buick really. I think buick, and I think rusting heavy steeming pile of scrap metal. that's ALL i think.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce
Cadillac has half a "ghetto" and half an upperclass stigma in it. the way they're going with it, it's definitely up there.. along the lines of Linoln.. not so much BMW, because BMW is more sporty.. Cadillac is more luxury.

Buick ugh.. I honestly see nothing going for buick really. I think buick, and I think rusting heavy steeming pile of scrap metal. that's ALL i think.
Same here on the Buick thing, the only good I've ever seen out of Buick were the GS Stage 1 and the GNX.
Otherwise I think old man's car. Which confuses me why they kept Buick and closed Oldsmobile.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:46 AM

Not trying to stir up the Camaro faithful, as I know has been done in the past, but it just seems like a no brainer to some how some way bring back Firebird ( and by extension Trans Am, unless it comes down to GN having to pay an absorbant amount of money for the name). There's 35 years of heritage and history built into Firebird, I don't see how GM can just let the name die. I read enough posts here and elsewhere people wanting Firebird back. And these photoshops are just what Pontiac needs.

Where's the Pontiac Brand Manager in all of this? Do the higher ups at Pontiac not care?

Quick Reply: IF GM is worried about having a 5th gen firebird to much like a camaro...