2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I find myself asking this question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 10:33 PM

Re: I find myself asking this question...

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Does it make sense to build a Camaro, a Monte Carlo, a Firebird, and a GTO knowing that the coupe market remains around 350,000 units a year? The answer is a resounding 'no.' Yes, I hate to say it -- but you simply cannot rationalize all of those entries which cannibalize each other in the market.
The camaro and firebird differences are mostly just in a different front nose hood and spoiler and front quarters, with the T/A having the much more agressive look. I fail to see why GM can't change a few body panels. They do on a lot of there other cross over vehicles. They make a pontiac SUV and chevy SUV that are the same except for the front clip. Keep it simple, keep the interior the same, stick a different front clip on the T/A model and maybe a spoiler change.
It's not really much different then a mustang vs' a mustang GT which adds some GFX and some headlights vs a sallen which just adds different GFX and a different front end and spoiler.
I know it doesn't matter what I say and I know the business reason isn't there to make two cars that are wildly different. But there's almost no cost difference in stamping a T'A nose cone and spoiler and a few badges and making the bird people happy. But what do I know, I don't run a hugely profitable global car business.

..but then again neither does GM.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:11 PM

I'd say that it would still make sense to make a Firebird, especially on lines that are supposed to be more "module based". I mean they could run them down the same line, same chassis and all, just different modules and sheet metal, many components could be reused, just rearranged to give a Firebird a unique identity.(like under hood, and interior pieces)
Makes more sense to me than a Chevy and GMC Pick-Up.
Monte Carlo is only maintained b/c of NASCAR...not that popular on the street here, especially if Dale Jr. didn't drive one. I'd bet a VE styled Impala woould be a welcome replacement for NASCAR.

Last edited by 90rocz; 06-10-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
all i hear is that GM want to eliminate overlap products then they do this. so it still begs why no firebird? they had a business case for it for 35 years yet not now? and i don't buy the "theres no market for it" BS as if that was the case there would be no G5. all GM is doing is screwing over firebird fans.
35 years ago General Motors had about 65% of the US auto market & coupes were the number 1 type of selling car. The best selling import was the VW Beetle, and all other imports combined probally equalled less than what Mustang sold last year.

Far cry from today. That's why.

Going back to all the other posts on the subject, every point you've bought up has already been gone over.

Does any sane individual think that GM wouldn't take the opportunity of making more money if it was as easy as some of you suggest? Solstice/Sky is apples next to a Camaro/Firebird orange.

Bottom line is unless the coupe market explodes, no Firebird running mate to Camaro. The only way you'll get a Firebird is if it answers a different part of the coupe market that doesn't touch GTO or Camaro.

Last edited by guionM; 06-11-2006 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Solstice/Sky is apples next to a Camaro/Firebird orange.
why? and how is the G5/cobalt any different as well?

i haven't heard of a good reason why they do those both and they can't do a firebird

all i've read so far are empty exuces(sp) and i don't buy it.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:11 PM

GM CLEARLY didn't spend ANY money on turning Cobalts into G5s... Guy said you could have a Firebird that was identical to Camaro save arrowheads instead of Bowties. No one wants that.

Solstice and Sky? Im not a math major so if people who work for GM tell me it makes sense, I'll assume it makes dollars. Believe it or not lots of people don't know GM makes Saturn so the perception thing is non-existant compared to what it was with obviously cloned Camaro/Firebird.

Zeta is not the "Camaro" platform.

Perhaps I'll say it again.

Zeta is not the "Camaro" platform.

Realistically the cheapest GTO will probably be 10k higher than the cheapest V8 Camaro, not to mention GTO is far better as a DD. There is little to no overlap there. We don't even know if Monte is still alive, let alone what wheels it will be on so lets 86 that.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hoodshaker
Maybe the market is only too small when the available offerings are mediocre at best.
The offerings will certainly be mediocre if you are using one car's budget to finance two.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
why? .
Because GM can sell 30,000 Solstice/Sky but only 20,000 Solstice OR Sky.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Realistically the cheapest GTO will probably be 10k higher than the cheapest V8 Camaro, not to mention GTO is far better as a DD. There is little to no overlap there.
Sounds like a description of the CTS coupe.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Camaro at 25k, GTO at 35k and CTC at 45k... Sounds right to me.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:29 PM

Camaro at 25k, GTO at 35k and CTC at 40k... Sounds about right?

Im thinking more in the range of the 6series than a 3coupe I guess...
Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Camaro at 25k, GTO at 35k and CTC at 40k... Sounds about right?

I think more for the Camaro, less for the Caddy, and as far as the GTO.....that needs it's own thread.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:59 PM

I think more for the Camaro, less for the Caddy, and as far as the GTO.....that needs it's own thread.
Well the GTO ok, even though I think thats an adequate price we don't know ANYTHING about it so...

Where is this Cadillac gonna be aimed? Is the next gen CTS the same size as the current one? I guess I forgot the CTS is a V6 so it only stands to reason this will be...

And Camaro... I would hope not much more, for the GT equivalent V8. I think GM would play a dangerous game if they decide not to compete with the competition.

HP and everything is nice, but what makes decisions stick is... appropriately enough, the sticker.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:59 PM

all i can say its not a money issue not bringin back the firebird.. since when has gm cared about makin money?
Old 06-11-2006, 10:09 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
The camaro and firebird differences are mostly just in a different front nose hood and spoiler and front quarters, with the T/A having the much more agressive look. I fail to see why GM can't change a few body panels. They do on a lot of there other cross over vehicles. They make a pontiac SUV and chevy SUV that are the same except for the front clip. Keep it simple, keep the interior the same, stick a different front clip on the T/A model and maybe a spoiler change.
It's not really much different then a mustang vs' a mustang GT which adds some GFX and some headlights vs a sallen which just adds different GFX and a different front end and spoiler.
I know it doesn't matter what I say and I know the business reason isn't there to make two cars that are wildly different. But there's almost no cost difference in stamping a T'A nose cone and spoiler and a few badges and making the bird people happy. But what do I know, I don't run a hugely profitable global car business.

..but then again neither does GM.

not to be a smart*** -- but would you like to tell our readers how much it would cost to do just a front clip that's different?

and no, the 4th gen Firebird did not share any body parts with the Camaro save the roof -- doors and quarter panels are different.

so the next question is: how much to make unique body panels?

Then the final question: how many additional vehicles would be expected if the Firebird were produced? (think about that for a while before you answer......)

Again-- You're preaching to the choir here about Firebird -- nothing I'd like better than to see one out there as a companion car.........but ladies and gentlemen-- look at the financial condition of GM and Ford -- if you're telling me that Firebird is going to make a big difference, ---- well ....................
Old 06-12-2006, 06:55 AM

Well not to be a smart *** but I can buy a brand new nose cone for my car for about $300. If I ordered 30,000 then it would probably be a hell of a lot less. T/A's have always cost more then camaro's new, so those that want one may expect to pay $1000 or two more.
I'll tell you right now I've tried and tried to like the new camaro, but I can't get over the front end. The rest is good but I can't stand the front end.
I may be alone, I may not.

I am aware the 4th gen bodys weren't the same, and thats why I am suggesting keeping more of it the same.
Again I fail to see why GM stamps two different front ends on some SUV's when the soccer moms buying them will never notice the difference. Camaro/Firebird people on the other hand will definitly notice.

There's one other little thing GM doesn't believe in anymore, but DCX certianly does.
"You can't expect to sell every type of car to every type of person, some are just image and will only be bought by a certian niche"
The viper doesn't sell big numbers, not profitiable like the ram, but they keep updating it, because it's a huge image booster.
I guess we'll see down the road who's theory is right.

I know I am preaching to the choir.

Quick Reply: I find myself asking this question...