2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much power is enough for the Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:47 AM

How much power is enough for the Camaro?

Ok, we're in some kind of horsepower feeding frenzy. Especially with BL's remarks about the LS7 and 500 hp.

But I mean....REALLY....how much is enough? I was driving a 6 speed,'06 GTO yesterday....and the LS2's 400 hp seemed like more than enough. In fact, if I were to change anything about the GTO's driving experience....adding more power would be WAY down on my list.

Don't get me wrong, I won't refuse more power if it's offered. But it seems to me that we are sort of sliding into a "more power will make everything better" mentality.

So how much is enough?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:49 AM

Re: How much power is enough for the Camaro?

Originally Posted by Z284ever
So how much is enough?
10hp above the top Mustang and Charger/Challenger is enough.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:52 AM
Prominent Member

Seeing how many new Z06's are being wrecked.....even by the automotive "press"...I too worry about the hp levels being sold to an 'untrained' public.

500hp in the wrong hands is a weapon....
Old 01-26-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
Seeing how many new Z06's are being wrecked.....even by the automotive "press"...I too worry about the hp levels being sold to an 'untrained' public.

500hp in the wrong hands is a weapon....
Yes, but you need to consider that many that buy Z06 just got into a wad of money and are buying it more as a status symbol. A 500hp Camaro buyer is more than likely going to be a long time Camaro enthusiast with some time behind the wheel and enough experience and sense to drive within their (and the car's) limits.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:57 AM

If the L92 based LS3 can pump out 450hp, my guess is that will be "enough" and we won't see the LS7, especially if the rumors are accurate that 08 emissions regulations are causing the end of the LS7 anyway (it being replaced with a supercharged LS3, aka LS9 in the Z06).

Its starting to look like we'll have a V6, an LS2, and an LS3 version.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Good answer!

I would like to raise that to 20-25 hp above those two.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, but you need to consider that many that buy Z06 just got into a wad of money and are buying it more as a status symbol. A 500hp Camaro buyer is more than likely going to be a long time Camaro enthusiast with some time behind the wheel and enough experience and sense to drive within their (and the car's) limits.
Do you have any facts to back that statement up or did you just pull it out of your ***?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:32 AM

Add 25tq and overall more power "under the peak" and we're good to go!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Good answer!

I would like to raise that to 20-25 hp above those two.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. They are nothing but arbitrary numbers for many here. It's nothing but bragging rights. My number is bigger than your number is what it seems we're coming down to....not how well it performs or how fun it is to drive.

I mean just for example, (just pulling out numbers)...if Camaro had 400 or 425 hp, but weighed..oh, say 500 lbs less than GT500, and had a far superior chassis, brakes, etc....and could COMPLETELY clean Mustang's clock in every performance category possible...would anyone be impressed by that? Or MUST you have the bigger power number. I mean if Camaro is a lumbering pig (just for sake of this argument), but is rated at 476 hp...is that what really matters?

I feel like we're dangerously close to getting into "my pee-pee is ONE horsepower more than yours, even if it doesn't work as well", frame of mind.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Prominent Member

Is it true that Viper buyers were (are?) required to take a driving course before purchase? Or was it just an option?....Or was this just urban legend?

Either way, not a bad idea.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by 95 Z/28 LT1
Do you have any facts to back that statement up or did you just pull it out of your ***?
Pretty sure that one had an origin in the nether regions...

The idea that the average Z06 buyer is somehow a worse driver that those who would be the average SS buyer is... welll... interesting.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
That's exactly what I'm talking about. They are nothing but arbitrary numbers for many here. It's nothing but bragging rights. My number is bigger than your number is what it seems we're coming down to....not how well it performs or how fun it is to drive.

I mean just for example, (just pulling out numbers)...if Camaro had 400 or 425 hp, but weighed..oh, say 500 lbs less than GT500, and had a far superior chassis, brakes, etc....and could COMPLETELY clean Mustang's clock in every performance category possible...would anyone be impressed by that? Or MUST you have the bigger power number. I mean if Camaro is a lumbering pig (just for sake of this argument), but is rated at 476 hp...is that what really matters?

I feel like we're dangerously close to getting into "my pee-pee is ONE horsepower more than yours, even if it doesn't work as well", frame of mind.

Dangerously close? Charlie, HP numbers sell cars, not curb weight numbers. Until that changes, yes this is going to be a big pissing contest..like it or not.

I see where you're coming from but Scott says over and over the Camaro has to be best in class at basically everything...If that means its best in class weight AND hp then we're in for a bloodbath.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:41 AM

We all want bragging rights that the Camaro has the most power in its class...but, I'd be just fine with less power and less weight, so long as it beat out its competition.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
If that means its best in class weight AND hp then we're in for a bloodbath.
To which I say, "Bring it on"...

GM's bringing howitzers to that gunfight.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:42 AM
Prominent Member

OF course the possibility exists that with torque management, active handling and othe ECM controls, it's easier to drive 500hp that it was before...with drive by wire throttles, it's harder to get in trouble as before....

Quick Reply: How much power is enough for the Camaro?