2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homework assignment.... Find out how your Chevrolet dealers are handling the Camaro.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 AM

Homework assignment.... Find out how your Chevrolet dealers are handling the Camaro.

I'm going to ask each of you for a favor (or.. if like me, you're a fan of the movie "Fight Club"... I have a "Homework Assignment" for you).

Today I stopped by the Chevrolet dealer in Serremonte, just outside of San Francisco and had a conversation about the upcoming Camaro.

One of the things that came out is that the demand for the car outstripped production for at least the through the summer. Of course, along with this comes shortages.... and markups. He talked about how high the intrest in the car was. All this combined to lead this dealer he worked at putting a minimum markup of $5,000 on the V6 models, with the SS models much higher..... and people are putting deposits on them at this price.

....So many people, in fact, that most all the Camaros they have coming in are sold, and the few that aren't are going to be showroom traffic builders.... meaning a "You gotta be kidding" markup on the window.

What I've been getting, this dealer isn't alone.

Request/homework assignment:

I'd like anyone here who is able to, to visit a Chevrolet dealer and question them about getting a Camaro.

Ask them about how many they expect to get in and when.

Ask them do they expect any shortages, or do they plan on hanging on to any for display, or any restrictions on any potential buyers (ie: test driving them).

And, the biggie.... what type of markups do they anticipate.

It does appear that the Camaro will be the only draw in Chevrolet showrooms at the very least, until the Cruize gets in (even the sharp looking black Malibu with the aftermarket rims in the showroom of the dealer I went to even had a healthy sized rebate sign on the windshield). Although I'm hoping things won't get as bad as they tend to get with Pontiac dealers.

I think this subject would not only be of intrest to me personally, or to most people here on this site.... I think there are people at GM (perhaps even at Chevrolet) that might be intrested in this as well.

Keep it factual.

Last edited by guionM; 04-06-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:00 AM

For starters, Wood Wheaton Chevrolet in Prince George is charging MSRP. Of their initial allocation of 18, only 8 were spoken for the day before they had a yellow SS in the showroom I posted about. They're expecting the first cars to show up towards the middle or end of this month. I'm a 6 hour drive away from them so I can't find out much more information about them, but they're owned by a company that is responsible for most of the Chevy dealerships across BC and Alberta.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I'm going to ask each of you for a favor (or.. if like me, you're a fan of the movie "Fight Club"... I have a "Homework Assignment" for you).

Today I stopped by the Chevrolet dealer in Serremonte, just outside of San Francisco and had a conversation about the upcoming Camaro.

One of the things that came out is that the demand for the car outstripped production for at least the through the summer. Of course, along with this comes shortages.... and markups. He talked about how high the intrest in the car was. All this combined to lead this dealer he worked at putting a minimum markup of $5,000 on the V6 models, with the SS models much higher..... and people are putting deposits on them at this price.

....So many people, in fact, that most all the Camaros they have coming in are sold, and the few that aren't are going to be showroom traffic builders.... meaning a "You gotta be kidding" markup on the window.

What I've been getting, this dealer isn't alone.

Request/homework assignment:

I'd like anyone here who is able to, to visit a Chevrolet dealer and question them about getting a Camaro.

Ask them about how many they expect to get in and when.

Ask them do they expect any shortages, or do they plan on hanging on to any for display, or any restrictions on any potential buyers (ie: test driving them).

And, the biggie.... what type of markups do they anticipate.

It does appear that the Camaro will be the only draw in Chevrolet showrooms at the very least, until the Cruize gets in (even the sharp looking black Malibu with the aftermarket rims in the showroom of the dealer I went to even had a healthy sized rebate sign on the windshield). Although I'm hoping things won't get as bad as they tend to get with Pontiac dealers.

I think this subject would not only be of intrest to me personally, or to most people here on this site.... I think there are people at GM (perhaps even at Chevrolet) that might be intrested in this as well.

Keep it factual.
This sounds like an extream case. I called 15 dealers a couple months ago and only a couple were charging a mark up...
Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 AM

Shelbyville, IN.

I was there a few weeks ago and the salesman told me they should have some in by April 15, and that they were going to put on a $5k dealer markup.

I left.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:20 AM

It's not uncommon. Before I ordered out of state, I talked to seven dealerships within about sixty miles. The question I asked was "will you honor supplier pricing if available". Of the seven, the answers were:

A: No. (tone implied MSRP was out of the question as well) [4]
B: We'll charge whatever the market will bear (or some such) [2]
C: (and this is my favorite) "The car is generating an incredible amount
of interest right now since it's going to have limited availability. At the moment, the car is commanding at least $10k markup."

There might have been more, but I laughed and said "good luck with that" and hung up on him. So, no...it's not uncommon, and I only see it getting worse.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:48 AM

from what I know... Kendall Chevrolet is asking about 2k to 5k over MSRP. They have no idea when they will get any in their showroom or if they are keeping any to show off. I will try to visit a few more chevy dealerships just for fun.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 AM

So far it looks like those who don't feel the extreme need to be the first in their neighborhoods to own one, will be well-rewarded for their patience. I give it a year or less before they're at (or below) MSRP. Personally, I wouldn't want a first year car if I was thinking about buying one anyway. Besides getting the kinks worked out, I'd want the stuff that's still to come, like the HUD.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
So far it looks like those who don't feel the extreme need to be the first in their neighborhoods to own one, will be well-rewarded for their patience. I give it a year or less before they're at (or below) MSRP. Personally, I wouldn't want a first year car if I was thinking about buying one anyway. Besides getting the kinks worked out, I'd want the stuff that's still to come, like the HUD.
I honestly don't think you will see alot of "kinks" come up that need to be worked out. I think GM has spent alot of their time and what little money is left into working out those kinks before it hits production. GM has to much riding on this car and Chevrolet for that matter, because they need to reverse the publics opinion (that the media influenced) that GM does not make good cars. I'm not saying the cars will be perfect the first year or any year for that matter, but the thing is NO and I repeat NO car company has a car they never come across a problem with here or there. I worked in Import Dealers for over 3 years (hey a job is a job, I won't stop buying and driving GM) and the Import cars might even have more issue, quality, reliablity, etc, then GM.

I do however agree that I want to wait, one for the prices to come down, and two for the other options that might be added (cough cough HUD, Z28, any other speciality editions cough cough)!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:05 PM

No doubt they will eventually return to MSRP. And, yes, one can walk away from any dealer that is charging more than what someone wants to pay.

But every dealer has a plan for a new model. Depending on intrest and availability, they will either use the new car to build up showroom volume, sell alot early on for as much as they can, use it to reward repeat or valued customers, etc.

Camaro is the most attention generated at a Chevy dealer in many, many years. I get a feeling that like Pontiac dealers, some are going overboard initially. The only way to know for sure is to find out what's going on in other parts of the country.

I'm sure many would want to have this information early on, so at the very least, there can be a memo sent to dealers cautioning on overpricing, or even better yet, make pricing a factor in future allocations.

Although the manufacturer can't dictate the price a dealer sells at, there's more than a few tools available to "encourage" them to sell at a reasonable price.

Then ther'e the sledgehammer of bankruptcy. That gives legal protection to the ability to shut down dealers that act in ways that hurt the company... that includes unreasonable markups.

But first...we need to see if there is a problem...

.... and that's the purpose of this thread.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:43 PM

Even if the whole Bankruptcy issue does happen, it should only be a partial bankruptcy (I heard directly from a GM head quarters employee). Chevrolet and Cadillac will probably not even get touched, it will be Pontiac, GMC, Hummer, Saturn, Buick, etc. So I don't think they will be threatening to close any Chevrolet dealers anytime soon, so I don't think that issue will stop dealers from selling at markup. They might just go to a standard no hassel price line (just like Saturn has), which I don't understand why they don't have that at ALL GM dealers yet.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:51 PM

Wow these mark-ups make me sick.... GM need to get a hold of their dealers and tell them to stop. Mark-ups are such a huge turn off to other potential buyers in the near future. Sure the dealer gets the quick buck while its hot. But afterwards there were customers looking to buy a camaro... saw the markups, left, and bought a challenger or mustang.

I know my local dealer Art Moran Chevy in Clinton Township, Michigan. Doesn't do mark-ups unless its a reserve. So no huge mark-up when the car is at the showroom.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:08 PM

I'm with you. There are always bugs the first year and new features subsequent years.

New model markups are like scalping tickets. It wouldn't happen if there weren't people out there paying for it. The sooner more people say no to markups, the sooner they'll come down. I personally can't imagine ever paying MSRP for a vehicle.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:24 PM

my uncle threatened my dealer cuz hes plannin on buyin a vette from em n told em if u put a mark up on the car he was takin his buisness elsewhere but i dont think he was gonna anyways dealers can be greedy specially them dodge dealers n there challengers
Old 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM

Here are some emails I got from a few dealers here in the twin cities.

Hello Jason,

Thank you for your request. My name is Dion Kennedy, Internet Sales Manager for Friendly Chevrolet. I have been here over 16 years and we have been the number 1 Chevrolet dealership in Minnesota for 11 years in a row. The Camaro is going to look great and will be very sought after when they start showing up. We are not like most dealerships where they are putting an ADM on them, but we are selling them for msrp. We are scheduled for 19 Camaros and are taking orders on a first come, first serve basis. We only require a $1,000 non-refundable deposit to prevent anyone from ordering one that isn't serious about it. Just to let you know, none of our salespeople are paid on commission, so it's not like we are holding up the price so we get paid more money, but with GM expected to only build 9,000 total, they will be few and far between. I hope this answers some of your questions for you, is there anything else that I can help you with? Would you like to be one of the lucky 19 to get one? I would like to earn your business, just let me know how I can help. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like to set up a visit.

Sincerely,

Dion Kennedy
Internet Manager
Friendly Chevrolet
7501 Hwy 65 NE.
Fridley, MN. 55432

Glad to hear about the no dealer markup. One correction thou, Chevy is not limiting production to just 9000 units. Per Cheryl and Bob Lutz they are hoping to sell up to 100,000 in the first year. If you would like to check out Camaroz28.com there is alot of info on there. The Mods of the site were part of the focus group from beginning to end.
I am waiting another year for the 2011 Convertible to be released. I am planning on a 1ss in Inferno Orange with black cloth interior. Black Top with black ralley stripes.

Thanks again

Jason,

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to mislead you, I was just relaying the initial information that was given to us. We have ordered a few of the inferno orange coupes already, I'm sure those will be a hot car. Maybe I can earn your business on the convertible when the time comes.

Thank you,
Dion Kennedy
Internet Manager
Friendly Chevrolet

With order available on 10/13 I was wondering what your dealer allocation was for the new Camaro. Also, will you be selling these at MSRP, Below MSRP, or have an ADM on them.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Thanks for your interest in Chevy Camaro. As of now, we have been allocated 10 cars and have taken 8 orders leaving two spots available.

Our price will be MSRP without any ADM for over MSRP.

Would you like to place an order?

Give us call 952-435-8501

Thank you,

Dale Stinar

Grossman Chevrolet-Cadillac
Old 04-06-2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by prophet33
my uncle threatened my dealer cuz hes plannin on buyin a vette from em n told em if u put a mark up on the car he was takin his buisness elsewhere but i dont think he was gonna anyways dealers can be greedy specially them dodge dealers n there challengers
Wow. You should've paid more attention in English class. Not dropping letters from words goes a long way to making a good impression on a message board.

Quick Reply: Homework assignment.... Find out how your Chevrolet dealers are handling the Camaro.