2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: All things being equal, which would you buy in 2011
4,000 lbs Camaro
65.45%
3,500 lbs Mustang
13.94%
I'd buy something else.
20.61%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Here's a weight poll for you guys.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 02:09 PM

If one does not care for the wheels that came on the 01/02 Z28, then posting either nice or not-so-nice pictures of the wheels isn't going to make much difference.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I think it’s very unfair to critique the 1993-2002 4th Generation F-body in 2008. The market has changed and so have we the buyers. Hindsight is always 20/20 but why pick traits off of a car designed in the late 80’s and early 90’s for a different market and different time.

Ya know I’ve got issues with the door seals on the Ford Model A. I sure hope the 2008 Fusion has that issue resolved.

There are many more reasons why the 4th Gen F-bodies didn’t fare well in the market say after 1996 then the cars style. I also don’t see the constructiveness in listing issues one has with the 4th Gen as somehow a lesson proved and that must be fixed in the 5th Gen. It’s not worth trying to out-think the room as if to fix a long defunct car for the good of the new one. The 4th Gen car wouldn’t sell very well in 2009 but it was never intended to either. The 5th Gen is off in a very different direction so I think it’s safe to say 4th Gen styling issues won’t arise in the 2010 model. So let the 4th Gen rest in peace.

-In just ten years our beloved ’93 Camaro and Firebirds will qualify for collector car status.
Amen and agreed.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
I think it’s very unfair to critique the 1993-2002 4th Generation F-body in 2008. The market has changed and so have we the buyers. Hindsight is always 20/20 but why pick traits off of a car designed in the late 80’s and early 90’s for a different market and different time.

Ya know I’ve got issues with the door seals on the Ford Model A. I sure hope the 2008 Fusion has that issue resolved.
Originally Posted by BigDarknFast
So it makes one wonder - why are certain folks complaining about the 4gen? Don't try to tell me it's out of loving concern.
It's probably a good idea to actually read posts before commenting on them.

Here are the Cliff Notes. Doug and I had a side convo about why the 4th gen failed and rear seat leg room.

For more details, you guys may actually want to read a couple of those posts before whining about why-oh-why could anyone possibly want to remark on the 4th gen.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

Here are the Cliff Notes. Doug and I had a side convo about why the 4th gen failed and rear seat leg room.

For more details, you guys may actually want to read a couple of those posts before whining about why-oh-why could anyone possibly want to remark on the 4th gen.
Sure, I recall the interchange. I recall the 4gen gripe list was at least partially intended to refute Doug's claim about the legroom.

But I have a basic disagreement here. I do not believe the 4gen "failed". Did it make scads of owners happy? Yep. Did it help them humiliate and shame many countless multitudes of hapless Mustang and weed-whacker-exhaust import posers? Yep ( ). Was it an incredible value for buyers, with great features, safety, road performance and fuel economy? Yep. Did it make a profit for GM's shareholders? Yep (I imagine). So the failure was.... ? And the whole gripe list comparison was IMO, moot.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM

Actually it’s CliffsNotes and yes I'm fully aware of you and Doug’s sub thread. He felt rear seat legroom is a factor in the cars demise and you didn't think if fell into the top 10 reasons why.... and what a list it was.

But before you label my post whining note that I didn’t need to use colorful words like horrendous, ugliest, ghastly or my favorite poo when making my point. I'm sure that's technical jargon never to be confused with whining about the 4th Gen.

Last edited by 99SilverSS; 03-16-2008 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:02 PM

LOL. Now we're whining about how we're whining.

Cool.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:25 PM

Welp I skimmed this entire thread, and I will disregard everything except the question the main Poll was made for..

I won't vote because making a decision about buying a daily driver based on weight alone is absolutely asinine. Probably the biggest factor in consumer car purchasing in our current market is Price, MPG, Style (both int & ext), and then Performance. Right now I'm looking at possibly buying either a camaro or mustang, and I'm waiting until I can price and test drive both.

A lot of you really need to step back and realize that this is a mass consumer car first, THEN and enthusiast vehicle. Your going to have to resolve yourself to having to make some sacrifices for the sake of the vehicles continued existence.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by diarmadhi
A lot of you really need to step back and realize that this is a mass consumer car first, THEN and enthusiast vehicle. Your going to have to resolve yourself to having to make some sacrifices for the sake of the vehicles continued existence.
Absolutely. But weight can impact how good of a consumer car it is as well since it will impact fuel economy, as well as how it feels.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:32 PM

Here's yet another example of, IMHO, disrespecting the Camaro.
"Disrespecting" the Camaro? Again, I think you take any and all critiques of the car much too personally. Just like the interior design of the 5th Gen. You'd think guys like Charlie and I walked up and punched your sweetheart square in the gut or something when we pointed out what we didn't like.

You're right though. I'm a Camaro-hater. I'm 29 and have owned 3 Camaros in my lifetime, including 2 4th-Gens, continuously spanning the time since I was 17. You've got me pegged.

By the way, no matter how you slice and dice it, and purdy up the car, the 2001-2002 V6 and Z28 wheels were fugly. No personal offense intended.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 03-16-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
"Disrespecting" the Camaro? Again, I think you take any and all critiques of the car much too personally. Just like the interior design of the 5th Gen. You'd think guys like Charlie and I walked up and punched your sweetheart square in the gut or something when we pointed out what we didn't like.
If you don't like how I respond when you make unsavory remarks about the Camaro, there's a free "ignore" facility built in to this site, try it out. In the meantime, I intend to continue to exercise my rights to respond.
You're right though. I'm a Camaro-hater. I'm 29 and have owned 3 Camaros in my lifetime, including 2 4th-Gens, continuously spanning the time since I was 17. You've got me pegged.
Putting words in my mouth does nothing to change the fact, that I've not called you a "Camaro hater". Just like with a girl someone might date - it's easily possible to disrespect someone or something without actually hating it/them.
By the way, no matter how you slice and dice it, and purdy up the car, the 2001-2002 V6 and Z28 wheels were fugly. No personal offense intended.
Your opinion - feel free to slice and dice however you like. I will still disagree. One point of order though. It's a little sneaky, how this wheel argument has steadily slid into a smaller and smaller niche. First the entire 4gen had "ghastly" wheels. Then it had to be restricted to the 2001-2002 wheels. Then the SS wheels were disqualified, since they were "too small a fraction of sales" ( ). Luckily I haven't brought up the Firebird's wheels, I suppose they are "ghastly" too in the minds of the discriminating car connoisseurs here?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Those wheels were not my first choice either. But an interesting thing happened when selling my 2002 Z. I had saved the chrome 5-spokes from my '97 Z as track wheels for the 99 SS. When I got the 2002 Z I decided that the wheels were not up to par and put the '97 rims on for most of the 40K I put on the car. But when I sold it I gave the buyer the choice of going with the well preserved and barley used stock 2002 split 5-spoke chrome or the 5-star circa 1997 wheels that were on the car. They elected quite decidedly for the 2002 rims.
I was surprised too but that's what they wanted. GM made the decision to use those split 5-star rims in 2000 and while I never liked them there are those that do.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:07 AM

All my buddies with Mustangs (randing from 99-08) say they like the backseat of fbodys better. Im 5 7 and hit my head on the roof of their cars in the backseat and have no leg room whatsoever, but my buddy who is 6 2 sat in the back, behind a guy who is 6 ft 250 lbs just fine. Both said they had plenty of room.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by diarmadhi
Welp I skimmed this entire thread, and I will disregard everything except the question the main Poll was made for..

I won't vote because making a decision about buying a daily driver based on weight alone is absolutely asinine. Probably the biggest factor in consumer car purchasing in our current market is Price, MPG, Style (both int & ext), and then Performance. Right now I'm looking at possibly buying either a camaro or mustang, and I'm waiting until I can price and test drive both.
I disagree. You can have reasonably informed speculation about what each may be. Obviously, this poll is not a commitment. It's more asking "what's more appealing"?

The fact that a 4000 lb Camaro is beating a 3500 lb Mustang indicates to me that there are a lot of die hard Camaro fans here. I suppose that's not surprising given the name of the website.

For me, there'd have to be a lot wrong with a 3500 lb Mustang or a lot right with a 4000 lb Camaro for me to buy the Camaro in 2011.

I've owned 3 Z28s (currently have 1) and 0 Mustangs, btw, because at the time I bought, the Camaro definitely had the best bang ('85, '98, '02). Had I bought in '87, I'd probably have got the Mustang.

I'm expecting/hoping that the choice in 2011 will not be what's in the poll question.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:40 AM

Camaro

I don't care what the weight is, I know which one I'll be buying.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 AM

If you don't like how I respond when you make unsavory remarks about the Camaro, there's a free "ignore" facility built in to this site, try it out. In the meantime, I intend to continue to exercise my rights to respond.
In the meantime, you have the same option my friend, if you wish to use it.

Quick Reply: Here's a weight poll for you guys.