2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great Bluetooth idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 01:14 AM

Lightbulb Great Bluetooth idea

What do you think of this? With a factory installed Bluetooth enabled Camaro we could essentially call one another from our phones, speak into the air in our cars and talk like we were sitting next to each other for free (if we're on the same network). I would personally love this.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:22 AM

Re: Great Bluetooth idea

Oh, I was expecting a great idea involving Bluetooth, not that the great idea is bluetooth.

Yes, bluetooth would be great if it fits into the budget and doesn't goof up the pricing.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Administrator

I would loooooooooooooooooooooove to have a bluetooth option in the call to sync up with my cell phone. Isn't the Cadillac STS the only car GM has that does this? Is it competition with Onstar?
Old 08-25-2006, 09:04 AM

As much as GM wants us to go for the hands free phone option of Onstar it just doesn't click. Ever used it? Sometimes it's like the early 90's analog all over, which is pretty much what it is. They should be selling it as a safety and security point alone. Bluetooth, Nav systems, etc are the way to go. Onstar is pretty good with the safety thing though.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Fry

I thought the newer onstar system is bluetooth capable?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jacoz35thSS
As much as GM wants us to go for the hands free phone option of Onstar it just doesn't click. Ever used it?
I found it worked okay as far as talking is concerned, but it was useless for me because I couldn't use it to call into teleconferences or retrieve voicemail. Or at least I couldn't figure out how to make the 'tone' sounds required to do so. Personally there is not an OnStar service I find worth paying for.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by R377
Personally there is not an OnStar service I find worth paying for.
I couldnt agree more... and I dont want the mirror in my car to have the onstar buttons on it.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:18 PM

Most little $400 GPS's now have that ability. I have in on mine. They are mobile so you can take it from car to car, or in some cases old Camaro to new Camaro. Those ear piece bluetooth suck. I've been through 3 and now just use my GPS.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:18 PM

My friend Acura has this, I think its so darn cool, I'd also loooooooooooooove the Camaro to have it.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
...I dont want the mirror in my car to have the onstar buttons on it.
Please heed this man GM. For the love of all that is holy, please (I will beg if necessary) give us an Onstar delete option, or PUT THE CONTROLS SOMEWHERE ELSE. (the trunk comes to mind)

Stars, have you actually used it? A co-worker has it in her '06 Acura and it's quite buggy. It loses the sync quite a bit (yes, it could be the phone) and will not allow her to dial phone numbers using the phone's built-in voice recognition software. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bluetooth and it would not add much to the cost at all, but GM, don't cripple it like Acura did.

Last edited by RoMaD; 08-25-2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:50 PM
Disciple

After a bad crash and you can't move and/or are pinned in your seat, an OnStar button in the trunk would be mighty inconvenient.
It's gotta be at reach from the drivers seat.
That said, it doesn't have to be on the mirror, but personally I don't really care about a couple little buttons.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:38 PM

!Onstar
or Onstar relocation, probably a relatively simple mod.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by RoMaD
Stars, have you actually used it? A co-worker has it in her '06 Acura and it's quite buggy. It loses the sync quite a bit (yes, it could be the phone) and will not allow her to dial phone numbers using the phone's built-in voice recognition software. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for bluetooth and it would not add much to the cost at all, but GM, don't cripple it like Acura did.
I cant say it was perfect....It had trouble with the voice dialing a few times, but for the most part, the few times I've been in the car with him using it, it worked pretty well.

I never saw any problem with the car losing sync with the phone.

The voice dialing software on my new Samsung D-807 works like a charm.

If the new Camaro could match or beat the technology I’ve played with I think it would be a success.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:47 PM

If you have a crash where you ar pinned 9 times out of 10 you will have the airbags deploy as well, which automatically triggers Onstar. I do agree the trunk would be a useless place to put the buttons, similar to putting the window up/down switches back there. What is so intrusive about putting it on the mirror?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:53 PM

I'd like to see Bluetooth do some much more. For example, how about a bluetooth link to your PDA or Smartphone so you can see diagnostics from your handheld? Or link wirelessly to your home computer so you can automatically download data from your car each time you pull into your garage?

Maybe you could purchase tuning configurations like songs for your ipod and send them to the car in the garage?

At a minimum, how about making the diagnostic capabilites available on an indash monitor? I have 911 on my cell phone so I don't need Onstar in my car. The weight and cost can be used to do so much more.

I know this technology isn't new because some repair centers use wireless ODB interfaces (bluetooth?) so that one central diagnostic computer can monitor multiple cars in multiple service bays. It's time to build this into cars for the home DIYer. Wouldn't the Camaro be a good place to start?
How about cars at a car show linking up and sharing data? How about bluetooth enabled drive-in movie theaters for getting sound to your car?

Or maybe you could beam your contact info to the honey in the car next to you with a little hello message?

Think of the possibilities!

Quick Reply: Great Bluetooth idea