2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

GM Car Plant Schedules Extra Shifts

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 AM

GM Car Plant Schedules Extra Shifts

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.c...aspx?e=1554563

GM car plant shedules extra work week, days
Posted By Examiner Staff
Posted 6 hours ago

Finally, a big piece of great news for the General Motors plant in Oshawa.

The plant’s flex line will be so busy with new Camaro orders it has added June 29 as a scheduled work week instead of vacation, The Examiner has learned.

The line will also start working Saturdays overtime in June, July and August.

The company says there is a “strong market demand” for the Chevrolet Camaro giving this boost to the car plant. The Camaro is being brought back as a sports car.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Administrator

That is very good news indeed!

What they need now if more railcars to get these cars to their dealers!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:05 AM

very good news. dont crank too many out too fast though. i would hate to see these just sit around lots for months. this is a good thing though.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:51 AM

good news to hear . im pretty sure there are a few people pissed about having to work saturdays or extra time but hey its part of any big company. i have been working 7-10s the last 4 months due to global supply and increasing demand. sometimes its hectic having zero freetime. but seeing my camaro mod money stack getting taller is a good thing. cannot wait to fire up this car in 2 months and drive it off the lot.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:58 AM

yeah me too. i just found out mine is at a 3300 status and its being produced some time next week!!
Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 AM

I hope they don't make mine at the end of an extra shift!
A Tuesday would be good. No Mondays Fridays or extra shifts.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:34 AM

I was going to post a comment saying that I'm sure in this economy people would be stoked to get some days of overtime instead of being laid off.

But oh wait...I forgot the UAW makes sure that people get paid ridiculous high salaries even if people are laid off and that is a contributing factor to the general teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:40 AM

my dealer call me today. am at 3800 and waiting on trucks or railcars
Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM

is that what 3800 meens? its waiting to be delivered?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:02 PM

here is link to the full story

http://www.windsorstar.com/Oshawa+pl...161/story.html
Old 05-06-2009, 12:13 PM

This is a perfect example of how the free markets work. Sorry to get political, but when a company makes a car that people ACTUALLY WANT, and not some cheap crap hybrid that the government forces on them... sales go up, people keep jobs, longer hours are worked and the economy gets better.

The Camaro is going to help a lot people financially because people actually want to buy it. If the government has its way with the V8 engine "non-green" extra tax and continues to shove global warming down our throats then we'll never survive.

My 2 cents

Kevin Webb
Old 05-06-2009, 12:16 PM

Not sure if this is good news or not. They will still have plenty of time to get them out to dealers before the 2011 model starts, why don't they just pace themselves? It won't do them any good to have a ton of leftover 2010 models on lots when the 2011 models are rolling out, or have to take time out in the 4Q when you're trying to make your year end numbers because you've already worked the overtime.

Last edited by seawolf06; 05-06-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
im pretty sure there are a few people pissed about having to work saturdays or extra time but hey its part of any big company.
Dude, NOBODY is going to be pissed that there's o/t being offered ... that will be a breath of fresh-air to people right now. Keep in mind, o/t is voluntary. Offer it out, people will take it. After all, the almighty dollar is what keeps people showing up to work .
Old 05-06-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by IcemanSS454
I was going to post a comment saying that I'm sure in this economy people would be stoked to get some days of overtime instead of being laid off.

But oh wait...I forgot the UAW makes sure that people get paid ridiculous high salaries even if people are laid off and that is a contributing factor to the general teetering on the edge of bankruptcy.
Thanks for your intelligent, well thought-out contribution to this discussion . Clearly, you understand the underlying root to the problems inside GM .

BTW, the Camaro is being built by CAW members, not just UAW, if that makes any difference to you . Keep in mind, they've made some concessions recently. Twice.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Thanks for your intelligent, well thought-out contribution to this discussion . Clearly, you understand the underlying root to the problems inside GM .

BTW, the Camaro is being built by CAW members, not just UAW, if that makes any difference to you . Keep in mind, they've made some concessions recently. Twice.
I knew I would draw some criticism. There are many problems within GM. I just pointed out one factor. I will agree that CEOs that make bank while still turning out awful products are probably a larger problem. Thank you for the correction though and also for being only slightly scathing with your response, I forgot about the Canadian plant.

For any others I don't mean to totally trash the unions but historically unions were created to protect workers from being treated like slaves at the hands of the tyrants that run the company. Now I feel that in some industries (airline, automotive) while there are still some tyrants at the helm, the company could use some protection from the union.

Quick Reply: GM Car Plant Schedules Extra Shifts