2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Should AFM plague the top-of-the-line Camaro?
NO
30.00%
Yes
72.86%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Flagship Camaro & Active Fuel Management

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:13 AM

Re: Flagship Camaro & Active Fuel Management

Hello all. I have never actually posted on here although I have been reading posts on here since GM announced they were going to throw the Camaro into production.

In response to this thread, i was wondering if anyone knew how the currend AFM system works. I guess I was under the assumption that there is a switch that turns it on/off. Is this incorrect? Is it all automated?

My next question would be why would you not want AFM on a car?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by casull
Hello all. I have never actually posted on here although I have been reading posts on here since GM announced they were going to throw the Camaro into production.
Welcome! Glad to have you here.

In response to this thread, i was wondering if anyone knew how the currend AFM system works. I guess I was under the assumption that there is a switch that turns it on/off. Is this incorrect? Is it all automated?
So far, none of the AFM cars have switches. The engine computer recognizes that power is needed based on driver input (throttle position) and current engine conditions, and it switches to full V8 mode. When power is no longer needed, it switches back.

A lot of us here would like to have a switch that lets us decide. On/Off/Auto would be nice, Off/Auto would be good too.

My next question would be why would you not want AFM on a car?
There are a few reasons floating around:

1. Don't want to have to wait for the engine to switch to full V8 mode when I want power.

-- This is a myth -- the engine can switch over pretty much instantaneously.

2. I want that V8 exhaust sound all the time. I don't want to sound like a Honda!

-- This has some truth in it, especially with an aftermarket catback exhaust installed. I have a friend that works at Corsa, and he says they had to work hard to tune their catback to sound good in both 4-cyl and 8-cyl modes on the Hemi-powered Chrysler cars.

3. It overcomplicates the engine hardware, which will make modding the car difficult.

-- This is a sound prediction, but nobody really knows for sure yet. Many people in the know say that the hardware is not much more complicated than it is now, but we have yet to see what the aftermarket will be able to provide.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:12 AM

Thank you for the information....

In its current configuration does the engine operate in 4-cylinder mode at low speeds/ in lower gears, or just at higher speeds where it would take less power to sustain the current speed like at highway speeds?

I agree with the switch option. I think that would be the best of both worlds; an on/off/auto switch would be great.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:21 AM

A lot of us here would like to have a switch that lets us decide. On/Off/Auto would be nice, Off/Auto would be good too.

Excellent idea. That way everyones happy. Im sold.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Should AFM plague the top-of-the-line Camaro?
Plague? Biasing the poll to help slant it in the direction you want it do go does nothing to legitimize the results.

AFM is not a plague. AFM is the future. The sooner you leave the dark ages, the sooner you'll understand that fuel efficency and emissions controls are the path we must take if you want to see performance numbers continue to rise. Choose the dark path and we're surely bound to see a decline in performance just like we did in the mid 1970's during the energy crisis.

I don't want to re-live the mid 1970's... bell bottoms, disco, anemic engine peformance... No thank you!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
It'll never happen.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jg95z28
It'll never happen.
It might via the aftermarket, but I agree -- a switch as a factory option is extremely unlikely.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
It might via the aftermarket, but I agree -- a switch as a factory option is extremely unlikely.
It does come from the factory with a switch. It's called the throttle. Want to deactivate AFM? Plant your right foot on the floor. You want to turn it back on? Remove right foot from throttle.

Seriously though. Any aftermarket switch that deactivates AFM would (a) void your 100k mile warranty and (b) probably be illegal in most states. AFM helps GM meet CAFE standards and avoid the gas guzzler tax. It is a positive advancement in automotive design that you guys should be embracing, not cursing... unless you want to go back to the days of 175 hp flagship V8-Camaros.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

The point of the switch is to prevent it from activating in the first place. Doing that with the throttle for more than a few seconds would quickly lead to speeding.

The Magnusson-Moss act says that modifications to the car can't automatically void the warranty (hope I spelled it right).

It shouldn't be illegal in any states, except maybe California.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:48 PM

Something else to consider for those wanting a big cubic inch monster motor, is that it would probably keep you from having to pay a "gas guzzler" tax like the $1,300 extra Shelby GT500 buyers have to pay.
$1,300 gas guzzler tax...how much will AFM add to the sticker price of the Camaro?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Plague? Biasing the poll to help slant it in the direction you want it do go does nothing to legitimize the results.

AFM is not a plague. AFM is the future. The sooner you leave the dark ages, the sooner you'll understand that fuel efficency and emissions controls are the path we must take if you want to see performance numbers continue to rise. Choose the dark path and we're surely bound to see a decline in performance just like we did in the mid 1970's during the energy crisis.

I don't want to re-live the mid 1970's... bell bottoms, disco, anemic engine peformance... No thank you!

I could not have said it better myself!! It's like we're seeing echoes the fear of Fuel Injection and engine Electronics when it first appeared in the 70s. Only this time the fears are unfounded because today's engine technology is far in advance of the barely exploratory technology that was available back then which led to crippled HP numbers. That won't happen this time around.

Bell bottoms and disco... <shudder>

Last edited by Z28Marcus; 10-06-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MotorCityMan
$1,300 gas guzzler tax...how much will AFM add to the sticker price of the Camaro?
It wont be a guzzler either way.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:05 PM

AFM switchs DO exist. It's called a "tow" button on most trucks. I'm sure the same thing could be done to cars, although it might seem a bit strange. However if it allows it to do what i want, i don't care what they call it.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
AFM switchs DO exist. It's called a "tow" button on most trucks. I'm sure the same thing could be done to cars, although it might seem a bit strange. However if it allows it to do what i want, i don't care what they call it.
Tow modes don't do anything for gas they hold the gear longer. No cylinder deactivation is starting/stopping when you push tow haul mode.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by STOCK1SC
Tow modes don't do anything for gas they hold the gear longer. No cylinder deactivation is starting/stopping when you push tow haul mode.
i thought i had read it allowed 8 cylinder mode operation at all times. i may have been mistaken.

Quick Reply: Flagship Camaro & Active Fuel Management