2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few price concerns...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I think that's way high. I think that the SS will probably start somewhere around the pricing of the G8 GT (29-30k) at the highest. The G8 GXP pricing hasn't been announced, but I expect at least $36-38k. The SS isn't going to be that much.
why would a car with the same features and built off the SAME PLATFORM, with the SAME engine, SAME trasmission, SAME suspension,most likely SAME brakes be priced so far apart? especially when the camaro will be a lil sportier?

Look at the price of the challenger SRT vs charger SRT, they both offer the SAME features,built off the SAME platform, SAME engine, SAME transmission,SAME suspension, and SAME brakes,and surprise surprise they are priced very similar........hmmmmm.......

The weaker L99/automatic combo base model will be a newer model and still offer more power and performance than the Challenger RT so i expect it to cost a lil more than that as well.

ayways, if it isnt close to GXP pricing for what is essentially the same car, that would doom the G8/GXP
Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM

actually the price of the 2door challenger is $200+ MORE than the 4 door charger which further strengthens my beliefs in the G8-GXP/Camaro argument
Old 08-19-2008, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by MauriSSio
why would a car with the same features and built off the SAME PLATFORM, with the SAME engine, SAME trasmission, SAME suspension,most likely SAME brakes be priced so far apart? especially when the camaro will be a lil sportier?

Look at the price of the challenger SRT vs charger SRT, they both offer the SAME features,built off the SAME platform, SAME engine, SAME transmission,SAME suspension, and SAME brakes,and surprise surprise they are priced very similar........hmmmmm.......

The weaker L99/automatic combo base model will be a newer model and still offer more power and performance than the Challenger RT so i expect it to cost a lil more than that as well.

ayways, if it isnt close to GXP pricing for what is essentially the same car, that would doom the G8/GXP
First off, I don't think Chevy cares. Second and more important, they're marketed towards totally different groups. The G8/GXP will be the sporty "4-door family car". You can't tell me that's the group waiting for the Camaro...
Old 08-19-2008, 04:26 PM

Because one is designed to be an "affordable" sport coupe from General Motor's value division and the other is a top of the line sport sedan from GM's sport division. I don't think that the Camaro will necessarily be "sportier" than the GXP. Sportier looking maybe, but I don't know about "sportier" necessarily.

And both are top of the line vehicles from the same division. Comparing 2 door dodge to 4 door Dodge isn't necessarily the same as comparing 2 door Chevrolet with 4 door Pontiac platform-mate.

I figure that both Camaro SS models will be priced right around a comparable Charger R/T.

Anyways, if it isnt close to GXP pricing for what is essentially the same car, that would doom the G8/GXP
Not really, because they aren't aimed at the same audience. I'm not saying that there isn't some overlap between buyers, but they're aimed at different targets. Does the G8 doom the CTS?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by trm0002
First off, I don't think Chevy cares. Second and more important, they're marketed towards totally different groups. The G8/GXP will be the sporty "4-door family car". You can't tell me that's the group waiting for the Camaro...
a big factor that goes into pricing is the COST as well.
also, The camaro/GXP connection is as close as the Charger/Challenger. Why would the 2 door challenger cost as much or more than a charger if theyre in totally different segments and the charger is the sporty "4-door family car"?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:33 PM

a big factor that goes into pricing is the COST as well.
also, The camaro/GXP connection is as close as the Charger/Challenger.
300/challenger?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:34 PM

Because one is designed to be an "affordable" sport coupe from General Motor's value division and the other is a top of the line sport sedan from GM's sport division. I don't think that the Camaro will necessarily be "sportier" than the GXP. Sportier looking maybe, but I don't know about "sportier" necessarily. .......................
And both are top of the line vehicles from the same division. Comparing 2 door dodge to 4 door Dodge isn't necessarily the same as comparing 2 door Chevrolet with 4 door Pontiac platform-mate.
how so when theyre destined to be the SAME feature for feature.What seperates the GXP other than 4 doors? what does PONTIAC do to differentiate their brand from Chevy in this case?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:51 PM

how so when theyre destined to be the SAME feature for feature.What seperates the GXP other than 4 doors? what does PONTIAC do to differentiate their brand from Chevy in this case?
First, they are not destined to be the same feature for feature. You are confusing being platform mates with being identical twins.

Pontiac sells their car as a BMW M5 at a bargain price. Chevrolet sells theirs as an affordable sports coupe.

We could argue this all day, but the simple fact is that the Camaro SS isn't going to cost as much as the G8 GXP.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:52 PM

actually the price of the 2door challenger is $200+ MORE than the 4 door charger which further strengthens my beliefs in the G8-GXP/Camaro argument
Hrmm... upon further investigation... dodges prices are ... funky..

Challenger SE - $21,995.00
Charger SE - $23,210.00

Challenger RT - $29,995.00
Charger RT - $32,315.00

Challenger SRT - $41,695.00
Charger SRT - $40,015.00

I'm patiently waiting for pricing, because thats going to be the deal breaker/maker for75% of the possible market for it. TOO high regardless of content is going to price it out of the market (especially in todays economy). TOO cheap and GM looses too much money. We will just have to wait and see.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by diarmadhi

Charger SE - $23,210.00

Charger RT - $32,315.00

Charger SRT - $40,015.00

I'm patiently waiting for pricing, because thats going to be the deal breaker/maker for75% of the possible market for it. TOO high regardless of content is going to price it out of the market (especially in todays economy). TOO cheap and GM looses too much money. We will just have to wait and see.
true, very true.i agree although I was mostly talking about the SRT though since it will offer very similar content,performance and power to weight ratio of the new Camaro.

Last edited by MauriSSio; 08-19-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:58 PM

First, they are not destined to be the same feature for feature. You are confusing being platform mates with being identical twins.

Pontiac sells their car as a BMW M5 at a bargain price. Chevrolet sells theirs as an affordable sports coupe.

We could argue this all day, but the simple fact is that the Camaro SS isn't going to cost as much as the G8 GXP.
but what seperates them from each other, feature wise?. The camaro even beats the G8 in the styling department.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by diarmadhi

Charger SE - $23,210.00

Charger RT - $32,315.00

Charger SRT - $40,015.00

At least you have that luxury. I have 29 days left with my 04 GTO on a Smartbuy. If I had even a reasonable idea (+/- 1k) of what the Camaro would cost, it would be a no brainer. If the Camaro falls into what I consider reasonable (RS/SS @34k +/-1) I'll just refinance the 14,900 balloon pmt and wait until the Camaro gets out of the ADM phase. If it's going to compete with the SRT Challenger @ 42k, I'll just get use the GTO as a trade in on a G8 GT and deal with life. For those who don't know, the 14900 balloon payment is considered trade value for tax purposes.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Schismblade
V6 RS at or under $25K would be KILLER. Not happening, though.

Try $28K+
So did you have an actual contribution to the discussion?

I'll bet you $50 that you're wrong. Specifically, I'll bet that the MSRP on a base 2010 Camaro LT with the RS package (no other additional-cost options), is closer to 25K than 28K.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:54 AM

but what seperates them from each other, feature wise?. The camaro even beats the G8 in the styling department.
We won't fully know until the Camaro is in showrooms and the whole of standard and optional equpment is made known. But the fact is it doesn't matter. That's not what determines pricing in this case. One is imported from Australia and intended to sell 20,000 a year. The other is a NAFTA baby hoping to sell 100k plus. The volume alone will help make it cheaper.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:56 PM

Some of you may be confusing costs of manufactuer with price. The fact that GM charges X for a car with similar content has no basis in predicting the price of a different car. For instance look at the price difference between a Tahoe and Escalade. They are very simlar in most respects but the Cadillac has some increase in amenities and because it competes in the luxury SUV market gets a substantial premium. The profit margin for each vehicle is different based upon what the market can bear. To survive Camaro must be priced similar to the Challanger and Mustang. The folks with the calculators know exactly what it will cost to build each car. As the volume increases the unit costs will go down. The G8 is a low volume car, the Camaro will be a high volume car. They are built in different countries and while they may share similar content will have different prices. Heck for that matter the CTS will share components with the Camaro but the CTS price is irrelevent to the Camaro market.