2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Father's Day Thoughts...........

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 11:01 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Father's Day Thoughts...........

I've posted this writing on prior Fathers Days -- but I still feel it's one of the best writings honoring our fathers and Grandfathers and Uncles and special men that took care of us......

My Dad has been in "that Great Chevy Showroom in the Sky" for many years - however, I'm going to take "Klaus" out for a cruise - and I suspect that if I listen real closely as the wind whips thru what little hair I have left - I'll hear his whisper - and know that perhaps he's right there in the passenger seat - sharing my enjoyment of the greatest Chevrolet ever built...........

Getting back to the "writing" -- I'll never have the humor or talent of Erma Bombeck - and I think her "When God Created Fathers" is one of her finest....

To all you Dads out there: Happy Fathers Day......

When the good Lord was creating Fathers he started with a tall frame.
And a female angel nearby said, "What kind of Father is that? If you're going to make children so close to the ground, why have you put fathers up so high? He won't be able to shoot marbles without kneeling, tuck a child in bed without bending, or even kiss a child without a lot of stooping."

And God smiled and said, "Yes, but if I make him child size, who would children have to look up to?"

And when God made a Father's hands, they were large and sinewy.

And the angel shook her head sadly and said, "Do you know what you're doing? Large hands are clumsy. They can't manage diaper pins, small buttons, rubber bands on pony tails or even remove splinters caused by baseball bats."

And God smiled and said, "I know, but they're large enough to hold everything a small boy empties from his pockets at the end of a day...yet small enough to cup a child's face in his hands."

And then God moulded long, slim legs and broad shoulders.

And the angel nearly had a heart attack. "Boy, this is the end of the week, all right," she clucked. "Do you realize you just made a Father without a lap? How is he going to pull a child close to him without the kid falling between his legs?"

And God smiled and said, "A mother needs a lap. A father needs strong shoulders to pull a sled, balance a boy on a bicycle, and hold a sleepy head on the way home from the circus."

God was in the middle of creating two of the largest feet anyone had every seen when the angel could contain herself no longer.

"That's not fair. Do you honestly think those large boats are going to dig out of bed early in the morning when the baby cries? Or walk through a small birthday party without crushing at least three of the guests?"

And God smiled and said, "They'll work. You'll see. They'll support a small child who wants to ride a horse to Banbury Cross, or scare off mice at the summer cabin, or display shoes that will be a challenge to fill."

God worked throughout the night, giving the Father few words, but a firm authoritative voice; eyes that saw everything, but remained calm and tolerant.

Finally, almost as an afterthought, he added tears.

Then he turned to the angel and said, "Now, are you satisfied that he can love as much as a Mother?"

The angel said nothing more.

Erma Bombeck
Old 06-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Admin Emeritus

Re: Father's Day Thoughts...........

Well said.

I think there are far too few father figures in this world, and I see the outcome. If you have something about the state of the world, I will bet anything that the lack of a solid father figure has something to do with it down the line.

I'll also bet that a lot of our car enthusiasm is based on something our fathers taught us.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 PM

Re: Father's Day Thoughts...........

Scott, you are the Fbodfather to many many people round the world(this is evident with the introduction of Klaus). That being said, I say happy fathers day to you!