2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edmunds Long Term 2010 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 AM
RAR

Post Edmunds Long Term 2010 Camaro

It should be interesting to get the experience of different drivers on a long term perspective of the Camaro.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=156066
Old 08-28-2009, 02:09 PM

interesting what they will say after the 12 months. usually thats when all the little things that can go wrong, do. im considering this car next year so im interested in how this will turn out.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM

$42k out the door?

Ouch.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
$42k out the door?

Ouch.
That's with tax, title, and license. 8.75% sales tax works out to just under 38.8, still with title and license. 38k is just about right for a 2SS+RS with a $2500 markup.

I think they should have kept looking (maybe outside of California) until they found one with no markup.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:56 PM

(Note: A Camaro story is perfectly acceptable if it has a V6 but the car is only running on six cylinders.)
These online guys must have middle schoolers for editors.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
That's with tax, title, and license.
Yes - that is why I said "out the door".

8.75% sales tax works out to just under 38.8, still with title and license. 38k is just about right for a 2SS+RS with a $2500 markup.

I think they should have kept looking (maybe outside of California) until they found one with no markup.
Most states have some sales tax (its over 9% here in TN), you have to title and register the vehicle, and many dealers have been marking them up because of the stiff demand.

Thus...."out the door" for ~$42k. And its still ouch, in my opinion.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Most states have some sales tax (its over 9% here in TN)
Nobody is forcing you to buy in Tennessee. There's no sales tax in some states (New Hampshire is an example); it'll save you two to three thousand dollars; probably worth the trip, don't you think?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:02 AM

Nobody is forcing you to buy in Tennessee. There's no sales tax in some states (New Hampshire is an example); it'll save you two to three thousand dollars; probably worth the trip, don't you think?
But when you register it in your state, that's when you get hammered w/ the tax. I bought my vette from a dealer in NH, picked the car up in KY, and paid TX taxes, which was 6.25% I think.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:29 PM

I've never purchased a car outside of TN before. However, I think when you go to register the vehicle, they will tax the car. I believe if the state where you purchased the car from has a lower rate, they'll make you pay the difference. I'm not sure what happens if the tax is higher where you purchased the car from.

At any rate, you do have to pay some tax even when purchasing out of state.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cmsmith
I've never purchased a car outside of TN before. However, I think when you go to register the vehicle, they will tax the car. I believe if the state where you purchased the car from has a lower rate, they'll make you pay the difference. I'm not sure what happens if the tax is higher where you purchased the car from.

At any rate, you do have to pay some tax even when purchasing out of state.
I wonder if it would be cheaper to register the car in the state with the lower tax, and then transfer the registration to the new state, like you would do if you moved. They don't charge you sales tax on your cars if you move from state to state, do they?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:09 PM

That's with tax, title, and license. 8.75% sales tax works out to just under 38.8, still with title and license. 38k is just about right for a 2SS+RS with a $2500 markup.

Sales tax is actually 9.75% in LA County at the moment. License fees aren't cheap either ($460 on my G8)

The extra tax and license helped me to decide against a GXP. I couldn't justify the extra price plus the gas guzler tax plus the extra sales tax and license fees when I really just wanted the stick.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:16 PM

I wonder if it would be cheaper to register the car in the state with the lower tax, and then transfer the registration to the new state, like you would do if you moved. They don't charge you sales tax on your cars if you move from state to state, do they?
In California an out of state car requires a smog check and a DMV inspection for registration. If the car has less than 7500 miles it is considered new and they will collect sales tax from you.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:37 PM

I don't know about all states, but in Va, Tx, or Tn, if you did not pay tax in the state you bought the car, you will pay it when you register it in those states. The only way out of that would be to register the car in one of those tax-free states, then transfer the title. That would require an address in the tax-free state you buy it in. I suppose there are swindlers out there that do that sort of thing....

Regardless, and as stated, Edmunds bought it in California, and their "out the door" price was $42k. And that still gets the "ouch" from me. Your reaction may be different.

Bob
Old 08-29-2009, 05:53 PM

$42k out the door?

Ouch.
Yep , couldnt agree more . The kid down the street from got a new SS/RS with a manual trans as a college grad present . They paid $48K . Im sorry for that kinda money a year old C6/Z51 would be a bit more gratifying or hell maybe even a new 1 , I havent kept with new vette prices .
Old 08-30-2009, 08:02 AM

There's no sales tax in some states (New Hampshire is an example); it'll save you two to three thousand dollars; probably worth the trip, don't you think?
True, but you do take it up the a$$ when you register a car in NH.
As a resident I can speak to that....

I just bought my 09 G8 GT and paid $304 to register it from July - Jan (Jan is my birthday month and in NH you register your cars in your birthday month).

So I asked the town clerk what I would be for the full year in 2010 and she said it would be $550 + when I register it in Jan for the next year, every year the rates go down (they are raising the rates by approx another $50 but that was not finalized at the time so I listed just what she told me it would be now)

What did you guys pay to register your cars in states that have sales tax?

They get you coming or going......

Last edited by 1st and goal; 08-30-2009 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Edmunds Long Term 2010 Camaro