2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Claim of Leaked Camaro Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:38 PM

Now, because he deleted his original posts, he can say whatever he wants about what he "actually said". .
Old 04-16-2007, 03:57 PM

LOL, I liked the guy who asked "Who is Scott Settlemire anyways ???
"
Old 04-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Wow....faithful folk sure do get touchy. One must wonder if the original post hit too close to home?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Silverbullet02ss
LOL, I liked the guy who asked "Who is Scott Settlemire anyways ???
"
Perhaps that guy needs to be shown the URL for google.
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Wow....faithful folk sure do get touchy. One must wonder if the original post hit too close to home?
He probably wasn't too far off. However, as pricing has not been set, anything is a speculation at this point, which is basically what Scott was trying to say.

The bottom line is, it won't be too far off whatever a similarly equipped Mustang costs at the time. At least that is the price point GM needs to hit.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:10 PM

Problem is everyone was taking him seriously when he couldn't have possibly known. Spreading misinformation can be damaging to the Camaro's future. I want every extra person to buy a Camaro that wants it, maybe I just love the Camaro more than some and want it to last.

Bob, would you not be worried and angered if I made a thread stating that the new Camaro was only getting 260HP according to a leak from a GM insider and everyone believed me? Or worse, making people believe that the Firebird was coming back afterall, giving them false hope as they waited and waited for it to come after the camaro launch because they beleived me.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:28 PM

Would it be any different if some self-professed know it all on a Mustang board said the next Mustang will start at a rediculously high price?

He said the V6 would start at $25,000. How is that even close to competitive with Mustang? Misinformation can lead people to do things that are disadvantageous to the Camaro brand....like, "That much? Screw it, I'm going to buy an (x) right now instead of waiting."
Old 04-16-2007, 06:30 PM

I'm certain Fbod is correct in saying NO ONE knows what the exact price is yet. To get to that point, all the costs involved in acutal R&D, prototypes (Scott, isn't the silver prototype worth about a million?), costs in getting production ramped up, and final cost of assembling each car from bare unit body and every nut and bolt would have to be calculated. Then the finance department would have to weigh in on how much profit they want to get from each unit they sell.

I'm sure Scott knows more about this than I do, but I'd bet GM isn't even CLOSE to calculating that stuff. They've yet to get a fully operational pre-production Camaro running.

Heck, I don't think GM has even finalized sticker prices on the G8 yet, have they?
Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Would it be any different if some self-professed know it all on a Mustang board said the next Mustang will start at a rediculously high price?
Nope - it would be exactly the same (other than whatever differences in perceptions might be caused by a 7 year.....hiatus.....in production).

And what does a hypothetical post on a Mustang Forum have to do with it anyway?

He said the V6 would start at $25,000. How is that even close to competitive with Mustang? Misinformation can lead people to do things that are disadvantageous to the Camaro brand....like, "That much? Screw it, I'm going to buy an (x) right now instead of waiting."
I suppose there are some folks that might say that, but I seriously doubt - no, very seriously doubt - that even had that thread gone on with the original post NOT being edited at the request of Scott, that it would have changed anyones mind one way or the other. I could be wrong, of course, but that's my opinion/perception.

Originally Posted by fastball
I'm certain Fbod is correct in saying NO ONE knows what the exact price is yet. To get to that point, all the costs involved in acutal R&D, prototypes (Scott, isn't the silver prototype worth about a million?), costs in getting production ramped up, and final cost of assembling each car from bare unit body and every nut and bolt would have to be calculated. Then the finance department would have to weigh in on how much profit they want to get from each unit they sell.
Concur - seems quite reasonable to me (a self-professed non-insider, and not even sort of related to any sort of expert). Note that part that I emphasized. I'm quite sure you're right about the exact price.

I'm sure Scott knows more about this than I do, but I'd bet GM isn't even CLOSE to calculating that stuff. They've yet to get a fully operational pre-production Camaro running.
This I disagree with. In 2007 dollars, I would wager that they have a very good idea what it will cost. Scott even alluded to it (see Mustang).

Heck, I don't think GM has even finalized sticker prices on the G8 yet, have they?
No idea - but whether or not they have finalized it or not, they surely know within a few hundred dollars what they must use for an MSRP in order to make a profit, as outlined in whatever business plan they have for this car. And for the Camaro.

Bob
Old 04-16-2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Good point-- but he could be giving it in Sheckels, Duck Feathers, Horse shoes, or gold bullion - the point is that ANY price he's given is wrong....cuz we ain't there yet!
Do you know when you will be there Scott
Old 04-16-2007, 07:01 PM

Nope - it would be exactly the same (other than whatever differences in perceptions might be caused by a 7 year.....hiatus.....in production).

And what does a hypothetical post on a Mustang Forum have to do with it anyway?
Thanks Bob, that was my point. It would be the same.....you would see Mustang guys jump all over that guy and his unfounded claims. It's annoying at best to read disinformation (or posts from people who profess to know it all and have people believing stuff that obviously isn't based on fact). Doesn't matter if it's a Camaro or a Mustang or whatever. A guy who starts rumors is going to be called out, more than likely.

I especially liked this line in his little rant:

So listen to the people, they wanted a Camaro years ago, and i know some hidden reasons why it dident come out sooner but i will not say anything more about it.
Oooo, you mean you read the same 2005 Hot Rod article that Guy wrote about the St. Therese plant? I'm duly impressed.

Exactly how much will Camaro cost? Dunno. No one does yet. But you have to be a real clown to think Chevrolet isn't going to price the thing somewhere in the vicinity of a comparable Mustang. Its direct competition. Who am I supposed to listen to? The guys that sit in on the product meetings or a line worker?

You seem to have a real problem with people who believe that what Scott tells them isn't BS. I don't really get it.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 04-16-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:30 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

no -- it didn't hit close to home.

I did not ask him to delete his post -- I asked him (in a PM) to please go back and post that the rumor is wrong. He chose otherwise with the original post -- and then decided to editorialize ..........and frankly I'll eventually get over there and see what else has been said (I can only imagine.....)

Here's the problem: he's a GM employee. While I'm sure he has the best intentions, you saw within 4 or 5 posts that people were upset with the "supposed" price.

Interesting in that I had dinner this evening with Jason Debler and Chris Frezza -- and Jason was talking about how misinformation can get out of control......to the point where people get an impression and it never seems to change. For instance: people see the concept -- and for whatever reason seem to think it's actually in production.

The point of all of this is that when I see something that's wrong -- and it's causing controversy, I do believe I should speak up.

Does anyone have a problem with that?
Old 04-16-2007, 08:25 PM

Ok, but that was (and likely will continue to be) my perception.

I've been wrong before. You and a select few are the only ones that know for sure if I'm wrong now.

I did not ask him to delete his post -- I asked him (in a PM) to please go back and post that the rumor is wrong. He chose otherwise with the original post -- and then decided to editorialize ..........and frankly I'll eventually get over there and see what else has been said (I can only imagine.....)
My reference was to his reply to you, in which he said "At the Request of Mr. Settlemire, i will cease to mention all future Camaro 'things'." Hence my comment, as I obviously haven't seen the PM exchange.

Here's the problem: he's a GM employee. While I'm sure he has the best intentions, you saw within 4 or 5 posts that people were upset with the "supposed" price.
Being a GM employee, one would assume he should know better. But ya, I can see where people are upset - similar to how people get upset when talk of weight is bantered around. To some, it makes little difference....to others, its a different story.

Interesting in that I had dinner this evening with Jason Debler and Chris Frezza -- and Jason was talking about how misinformation can get out of control......to the point where people get an impression and it never seems to change. For instance: people see the concept -- and for whatever reason seem to think it's actually in production.
For better or for worse, that's the internet. Personally, I still think there is a lot of over-reaction.

The point of all of this is that when I see something that's wrong -- and it's causing controversy, I do believe I should speak up.

I don't. Then again, when I see suspect that there might be more to the story than is being told, I speak up.

If JasonD has a problem with that, then so do I. Otherwise, I'll speak up again.

Have a good evening.
Bob
Old 04-16-2007, 08:49 PM

That forum is an important one to me for my resto project and to talk with like minded 2nd gen lovers. I may be scrutinized by some at nastyz28 for brining this to your attention, but I am glad I did. I don't care how many people think I'm crazy or obsessed, this is something that is important to me and I don't expect everyone to understand that. So if there's anything I can do, I try to do it. Simply put, I want to be able to buy my son or daughter a new Camaro in 18 years.

Scott - Next time, I'll contact you directly so that you'll know sooner.

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 04-16-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:00 PM

Scott, doesn't GM have strict policies reguarding employees discussing company operations outside of the company? I know my company WILL fire you if you are caught discussing sensitive information with any outsiders, even your parents or kids. Not sure how you feel, but if I were a felllow employee of this person, even though his "information" is incorrect, I would at the very least want him repremanded.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:14 PM

Fbodfather, you have PM.

Quick Reply: Claim of Leaked Camaro Pricing