2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Check it...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:31 PM

Re: Check it...

Originally Posted by guionM
I also stated that the only chance Camaro had in coming out before the late 2009MY laid in Wilmington, and I gave up on it coming out early ONLY because I believed Oshawa needed to wind up Grand Prix production before it set up for Camaro.
...and the possibility of a new Grand Prix/Am/GTO in the form of an imported Holden fits very nicely into your equation. From what I've read, even though it hasn't been officially announced by anyone, Pontiac is definately getting at least one Holden. If the new Holden were ushered in quickly enough to cut the current model (which needs to be cut anyway), wouldn't that create enough bandwidth for a limited production first year Camaro - say around 50k - by late 2007 ?

I am still holding out for a 40th anniversary model. I am one of the few, but I think its gonna happen.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:39 PM

I always thought the car would be out way earlier than predicted. Its still a waiting game now, and anyones guess!
Old 09-27-2006, 09:39 PM

You know, Scott has been pretty quiet as of late. I think it's time for some more "winks" about now. How about it Scott??
Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by Silverbullet02ss
You know, Scott has been pretty quiet as of late. I think it's time for some more "winks" about now. How about it Scott??
You won't get anything but the "corporate line" out of Scott at this point...first, he likes his job...and secondly, too much work to do to guess about making it out early.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
I'm with Douglas. I've heard that engineering, not manufacturing capacity, will determine when we see the F5 in showrooms.

I sure wouldn't mind having to choose between a 5th gen convertible and a Z06 18 months from now.
That would be a good choice to have to make!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:06 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)

Originally Posted by Doug Harden
There was some discussion...(not with a GM employee however)...at Bowling Green as to the possibility that Oshawa was large enough and possibly could run two different lines for a time..i.e. 1 FWD, 1 RWD....because according to all reports, the Camaro program is ahead of schedule, but it was the plant that would hold it up until laaate 2008 / early 2009.

Some serious speculation going on here though....
When a group of us local F-body fanatics were invited to the official press event in Oshawa to announce that the plant was getting the Camaro, there was mention that plans were about to be implemented to "consolidate" the different vehicle lines currently being produced there in order that work could start "immediately" on transforming the facility into the flexplant that would produce the Camaro.
Understood that this is pretty vague, but keeping in mind that Oshawa is currently 2 distinct passenger car plants... that will be turned into the large, single, flexplant, and that there seems to be some degree of flexibility given the 2 facilities, I would like to think that production of the car could start sooner than the date that has been officially put forward.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 09-28-2006, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I can realistically see Lacrosse & Grand Prix moving over to Oshawa #1. GM already announced they were cutting Impala production to 250K (down from 300K+ potential). If GM also discontinues the Monte Carlo, that's another 75K+ vacancy.
I know GM has said they want to cut back on Impala production, but through August they've sold 200k (up 25% over last year) so it doesn't look like things are slowing down. When push comes to shove it's mighty hard to turn away sales, especially on your volume cars.

If things are moving quicker on the Camaro than originally planned, the information will eventually get out. Either suppliers will start blabbing when they get their first Camaro contracts, or we'll know by watching what's happening to Oshawa.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by R377
If things are moving quicker on the Camaro than originally planned, the information will eventually get out. Either suppliers will start blabbing when they get their first Camaro contracts, or we'll know by watching what's happening to Oshawa.
Do you mean like american axle announcing where the axle for the Camaro is being made....hmmm.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

Might want to check the Podcast section tomorrow morning for our latest release. We are trying to get to the bottom of this.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:35 PM

It seems hard to believe it would be out in a year. Think of all the testing they have to do just to certify it. It's not like that chasis is in production and they are just rebodying it. I also think it's unlikely the production version will be better looking. It's not going to be as wide as the concept is it? 79 inches?
Old 09-28-2006, 11:27 PM

Guess that means that I need to keep my eyes open on my commute from now on

You wouldn't beleive how many c6s, then Z06s I saw driving around WAY before they were released. That goes for the new Mustangs too, saw a few in camo well before their coming out party.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:01 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JasonD
Might want to check the Podcast section tomorrow morning for our latest release. We are trying to get to the bottom of this.
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...83#post4129383
Old 09-29-2006, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
Guess that means that I need to keep my eyes open on my commute from now on

You wouldn't beleive how many c6s, then Z06s I saw driving around WAY before they were released. That goes for the new Mustangs too, saw a few in camo well before their coming out party.
The joys of living in Michigan
Old 09-29-2006, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by greg_nate
...and the possibility of a new Grand Prix/Am/GTO in the form of an imported Holden fits very nicely into your equation. From what I've read, even though it hasn't been officially announced by anyone, Pontiac is definately getting at least one Holden. If the new Holden were ushered in quickly enough to cut the current model (which needs to be cut anyway), wouldn't that create enough bandwidth for a limited production first year Camaro - say around 50k - by late 2007 ?

I am still holding out for a 40th anniversary model. I am one of the few, but I think its gonna happen.
Its official now. A new Holden as a Pontiac in 2007...my theory is looking better and better. Anyone want to take bets on a late CY 2007 Camaro introduction?

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=37939

Last edited by greg_nate; 09-29-2006 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:30 AM

A Holden as a Pontiac in 2007? It IS the 2007 model year now.

Quick Reply: Check it...