2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

The car to be unveiled at the NAIAS is a....chevelle?

Old 12-01-2005, 10:08 AM

Re: The car to be unveiled at the NAIAS is a....chevelle?

Not to mutate this thread, but I want to go back and revisit Edmund's piece..

If you are GM, why wouldn't you call a good half-dozen people into various offices and give them the mission to deliberately leak misleading information to Edmunds? Seeing that Edmunds has been historically bad in their "handling" of all things GM, why wouldn't you take an opportunity to drag their image through the mud? You wouldn't want to be too over-the-top, but you could definately steer them with deliberately bad information. While on that track, why provide them with vehicles to review and/or drive in the first place? As long as they are into the "infotainment" business and using words like "a bathroom fan giving up the ghost" when trying to describe one of your engines, why in the hell wouldn't you take the opportunity to send them a msg? The phrase I quoted was in a G6 review -- and is totally uncalled for -- and totally inaccurate, IMO. I've driven the 3.5l and while I wouldn't call it world class, it certainly isn't bad either. Call them on the carpet & knock them back into place. Show some swagger.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:10 AM

Just like GM to be way late.
By the time what ever it's called comes out the mustangand charger will have been on market for 3+ years. There will be a new fad by then.

It's like how they just now bring out the retro HHR even though the PT cruiser has been out for years now.
Fad's over folks go home
Old 12-01-2005, 10:54 AM

I'm crying lauging over the Conquistador SS comment.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:59 AM

Actually, the rebirth is a Citation X-11 SS. Its a 3 door hatchback with dual 2.8s an AWD in it, just like the one at BG in September.

Replete with 15" BBS alloys and mouse fur upholstery, the Citation X-11 SS will proudly signify all that was right with the mid '80s Muscle Car Era

(Pontiacman's been drinking.... )
Old 12-01-2005, 11:43 AM

I'm crying lauging over the Conquistador SS comment.
That's ok... get your laughing done now... because this January, the mysterious and powerful EL Conquistador SS will be revealed to an adoring public, and "my source" will - be - vindicated
Old 12-01-2005, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS
By the time what ever it's called comes out the mustangand charger will have been on market for 3+ years. There will be a new fad by then.

It's like how they just now bring out the retro HHR even though the PT cruiser has been out for years now.
Fad's over folks go home

Yeah, the HHR isn't selling well or anything. Oh wait...
Old 12-01-2005, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Aaron91RS

Fad's over folks go home
Mustang will have been out, sure (it never left). But the Charger is hardly a car to mention along with the Mustang. It is a huge RWD family sedan, not a sports coupe like the Mustang. The CHALLENGER concept will be shown at this year's show too, so it looks like DCX is at about the same stage as GM. Is the Mustang just a fad? Even though it never went away?

Yes, they were late with the HHR. Everyone likes to say that. Except that the retro-tall-miniwagon market was a party of ONE prior to the HHR. So if GM is way late, then Ford/Honda/Toyota/etc. are even later (obviously because they don't plan to come). Evidently, with the sales the HHR is seeing, GM made an ok decision to join the party late. There are plenty of NON-retro tall miniwagons out there (Vibe, Matrix, Scion xB, Mazda 3, etc. etc.). The HHR and PT are two of the more stylish in the genre. They may be the only two to go retro, but the functionality of the vehicle is the same as the non-retro options out there.

If you don't like the HHR because it is a "copy" of the PT, then buy a PT. Or GM/Toyota's own very non-retro Vibe/Matrix, if you are not down with the curvy-fendered retro look. See?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by NewbieWar
I forget who said it... but someone said there was going to be 2 vehicles with high anticipation, and the only one we could figure out was the camaro...

the other one was supposed to draw a bigger crowd but be less expected...

but the Camaro is a Sigma-light... not Zeta-light

so if the Zeta is bigger... Camaro and Chevelle again
Well, since GM is good at playing "follow the leader", then here's the deal:

- reintroduce Camaro, as expected

- reintroduce "Chevelle" as a "retro, but not really" 4-door sedan, to compete with the 4-door Charger! Since Dodge has been doing so well selling the Charger (a big-a$$, 4-door sedan? ) as a "muscle car", then do the same with the Chevelle. Why should Dodge be the only one with a car in that category??

(now I have to decide just how serious that suggestion is?? ... and at first I thought I was being sarcastic? )

Last edited by Capn Pete; 12-01-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jason E
(Pontiacman's been drinking.... )
at 12 in the afternoon????? i gotta get a job where you work
Old 12-01-2005, 03:22 PM

I wonder if since DCX has the "4-door" Charger, and now maybe a "2-door" Challeger, GM might consider a "4-door" Chevelle, based on the "SS Concept"????????(like said above, I think it would be great!..)

Last edited by 90rocz; 12-01-2005 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:35 PM

Could they be bringing back the Chevelle name as their larger RWD Sedan? If I remember correctly I seem to recall something about a large RWD sedan being shown at NAIAS.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:44 PM

I am just waiting to see what the next year will show and/or bring.

David
Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by cmutt
Not to mutate this thread, but I want to go back and revisit Edmund's piece..

If you are GM, why wouldn't you call a good half-dozen people into various offices and give them the mission to deliberately leak misleading information to Edmunds? Seeing that Edmunds has been historically bad in their "handling" of all things GM, why wouldn't you take an opportunity to drag their image through the mud? You wouldn't want to be too over-the-top, but you could definately steer them with deliberately bad information. While on that track, why provide them with vehicles to review and/or drive in the first place? As long as they are into the "infotainment" business and using words like "a bathroom fan giving up the ghost" when trying to describe one of your engines, why in the hell wouldn't you take the opportunity to send them a msg? The phrase I quoted was in a G6 review -- and is totally uncalled for -- and totally inaccurate, IMO. I've driven the 3.5l and while I wouldn't call it world class, it certainly isn't bad either. Call them on the carpet & knock them back into place. Show some swagger.
Actually I think Edmunds is using last year's information and applying it to this year.

A person who spends a week on this site usually has far better information than the guys that get paid to write the stuff.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
at 12 in the afternoon????? i gotta get a job where you work
Banker's hours are called that for a reason, my friend

Just because we wear suits doesn't mean we work