CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/)
-   -   Canadian Car Plant 1 closed due to strike (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/canadian-car-plant-1-closed-due-strike-544874/)

diarmadhi 09-25-2007 03:42 PM

Canadian Car Plant 1 closed due to strike

Even canada is now being effected...

TORONTO (Reuters) - Another General Motors plant in Canada has shut its doors amid a strike at GM's U.S. operations, a spokesman for GM Canada said on Tuesday, and one more plant was up for review later in the day.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070925/...da_layoffs_col

POWERFREAK 09-25-2007 04:13 PM

Geez...hope this doesn't drag on too long and mess up the Camaro schedule.:(:(:(

hyperv6 09-25-2007 04:37 PM

Heck find some Non Union Contrators and just convert the plant over during the down time.

Just kidding!

I would think even if the strike goes on a little while it will just effect the cars being built now and not the time they shut the plant down for ther change over.

I don't expect it to be a long strike as the UAW has little ground to stand on.

99SilverSS 09-25-2007 09:40 PM

has the time come to break the UAW?

mdlestat 09-25-2007 11:08 PM

One can only hope-- unions have done incredible damage to our economy... but as a realist, I know they'll remain... like a gorged tick in the side of American companies, getting as fat as possible while keeping the companies in permanent "walking wounded" status...

Purple 92 SS 09-26-2007 02:33 AM

i concur about todays day and age of unions. I see it every day at ups.

hyperv6 09-26-2007 05:58 AM

No suprise here....There is an agreement and it should be voted in shortly.

Looks like we have a health fund to lift the burden of off GM to the tune of $51 Billion.

Now GM can get back to being a car company and not be a health care provider.

ChrisL 09-26-2007 07:07 AM

The strike is over. GM and UAW reached an agreement overnight.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...UTOTALKS072007

christianjax 09-26-2007 11:35 AM

F*** UNIONS!!! I HATE what they have done to our country. Sick of seeing all the Japanese jellybean cars on our streets?? Blame the Unions. Tired of China being the industrial leader? Blame the unions. Tired of paying so much for a car? Blame the unions. They have out lived thier usefullness. They breed lazy, fat, unproductive "workers" that only care about thier benefits and their next coffee break. Can't we make unions go the way of Jimmy Hoffa? There, I feel better. F*** UNIONS. There, had a little more to get off my chest.

POWERFREAK 09-26-2007 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by christianjax (Post 4892182)
F*** UNIONS!!! I HATE what they have done to our country. Sick of seeing all the Japanese jellybean cars on our streets?? Blame the Unions. Tired of China being the industrial leader? Blame the unions. Tired of paying so much for a car? Blame the unions. They have out lived thier usefullness. They breed lazy, fat, unproductive "workers" that only care about thier benefits and their next coffee break. Can't we make unions go the way of Jimmy Hoffa? There, I feel better. F*** UNIONS. There, had a little more to get off my chest.

WOW...how do you REALLY feel???:D

christianjax 09-27-2007 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by POWERFREAK (Post 4893004)
WOW...how do you REALLY feel???:D

Uh.........I'm not too fond of Unions. :D

embpic 09-27-2007 11:23 AM

Unions are not necessarily bad. I will say that the UAW is an example of a union that is out of control.

My father-in-law used to work for GM. They moved his job to a city that is an hour drive away. Because of the UAW, he was able to say' I don't want to move to the new city' and still collect $60K a year doing nothing. Seriously, He just stayed at home and did nothing but fart around. I love the guy but I grit my teeth thinking about it when I look at the prices of new cars. Just before he retired from GM he had to go to theses 'Job banks'. It is a place where GM employees go when their job is gone. Since GM still has to pay them so they make them go to the job banks. There they sit and watch movies and play with their computers 8 hours a day. They hate it because they are bored, but they have to do it if they want that paycheck. In my industry when your job goes, so do you (furlough).

Andy30thZ 09-27-2007 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by christianjax (Post 4892182)

Hmmmm...... Not that the management of these companys ever made a poor decision that put them in their current situations......

Yes, I am in a union. Do I love it? It has its benefits and problems.

I am tired of everyone bashing unions when I watch management wasting money hand over fist.....

If to be in Forbes 500 you need to have at least 1.3 billion, you may be missing the bigger picture.

Gord's Green Z28 09-27-2007 12:23 PM

Rather than argue about the unions, why don't you complain about private health care causing these issues?

97z28/m6 09-27-2007 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Andy30thZ (Post 4894246)
Hmmmm...... Not that the management of these companys ever made a poor decision that put them in thier current situations......

Yes, I am in a union. Do I love it? It has its benefits and problems.

I am tired of everyone bashing unions when I watch management wasting money hand over fist.....

i see more management screw ups that cost more money than "lazy" workers at my job.