2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Canada wants to build the new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 01:23 PM

Re: Canada wants to build the new Camaro

I guess one of the more interesting questions that been raised here is this: just what's 'american' about 'american muscle' cars?
Old 02-19-2006, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by JB22
Dont ge me wrong, im going to buy one either way. I would just like to see GM put some jobs in the states.

Getting built in Australia would just crank up the price, ala GTO.

And just to be clear, I dont think the new GTO Looks like a muscle car. It looks like a Euro to me.
Being built in Australia didn't crank up the price.

The GTO was loaded up to the gills with stuff that would do Cadillac proud. The car was also limited edition. The Dodge Challenger is going to have the same business model.... and the same price.

As far as it looking like a muscle car, what exactly did a muscle car look like?

Can you tell a GTO from a rental level Pontiac Tempest? How about a Road Runner from a cheap Plymouth Satillite? Chevelle SS from the Chevelle my mom used to drive?

Muscle cars were about taking cars that blended in, and looked like regular cars on the lots, and putting the most powerful engine you could in it.

The GTO looks like any other Pontiac on the showroom. It also is stuffed with the biggest passenger car engine GM makes. Also, like original GTOs were, the new GTO is on the expensive side.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:47 PM

Whatever the case, it's still built in North America. So I guess in some sense it's still an "American" car. As long as it's not built by the French I think we'll be ok.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Being built in Australia didn't crank up the price.

The GTO was loaded up to the gills with stuff that would do Cadillac proud. The car was also limited edition. The Dodge Challenger is going to have the same business model.... and the same price.

As far as it looking like a muscle car, what exactly did a muscle car look like?

Can you tell a GTO from a rental level Pontiac Tempest? How about a Road Runner from a cheap Plymouth Satillite? Chevelle SS from the Chevelle my mom used to drive?

Muscle cars were about taking cars that blended in, and looked like regular cars on the lots, and putting the most powerful engine you could in it.

The GTO looks like any other Pontiac on the showroom. It also is stuffed with the biggest passenger car engine GM makes. Also, like original GTOs were, the new GTO is on the expensive side.
I think you hit the nail on the head. I can never immediately tell if its a GTO or a Grand Prix. They look way too damn similar IMHO.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:44 PM

The new car(08') should look very different. Hopefully it won't be another addition to the retro fest.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by FineWine
realistically, why does it matter where it's built? I'd rather pay $5k less for it because it was built using $1/hour laborers in a West African country rather than $5k more because it was built by $45/hour U.S. labor unions, whom later decide the $45/hour is not enough to pay the person that puts air in the tires, so they go on strike for a month. As long as the quality remains, I don't see why it matters.

It matters because every dollar exported out of this country adds a dollar to the trade defecit which is a threat to the very existance of our country. Your dollar goes to China, China uses the dollar to buy oil from the Arabs, the Arabs end up owning our country. Figure it out. What do we export to get our money back? I guess you don't care about the future of our country as long as you save a buck, and, oh yea...the quality is OK.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by user1930
It matters because every dollar exported out of this country adds a dollar to the trade defecit which is a threat to the very existance of our country. Your dollar goes to China, China uses the dollar to buy oil from the Arabs, the Arabs end up owning our country. Figure it out. What do we export to get our money back? I guess you don't care about the future of our country as long as you save a buck, and, oh yea...the quality is OK.
You obviously haven't studied economics have you? Free trade and world markets are the best things for economies everywhere. You definetly need a book on MacroEconomics. Here is a good link for you http://www.investopedia.com/universi...economics2.asp

Study that. If a country or place has a comparitive advantage over another to produce something, then it makes sense to buy it from that country. Do your homework before you tell people to "Figure it out." You have some figuring to do. Doesn't it make sense that if other countries beging buying US Gov't Bonds, or acquiring US Dollars, that the value of the dollar will then increase? There is always equilibrium in a free market. If the dollar increases in value then people and countries will stop investing in it. They will then begin to invest in currencies that are worth less, in hopes that their values will rise so that they can earn a return on their investment. So what do you mean what do we export to get our money back? The US is a service based economy. Just because we don't have as many auto's or whatever else being exported as country X, doesn't mean that we don't export services to other countries. Think of IBM. . .they for the most part quit with the PC building side of busines, but they are still a very successfull company. They do work all over ther world, not just here in the US. Hello Helpdesk.

You seriously could do some macroeconomic studies before any more silly posts like this one.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro25thann
You obviously haven't studied economics have you? Free trade and world markets are the best things for economies everywhere. You definetly need a book on MacroEconomics. Here is a good link for you http://www.investopedia.com/universi...economics2.asp

Study that. If a country or place has a comparitive advantage over another to produce something, then it makes sense to buy it from that country. Do your homework before you tell people to "Figure it out." You have some figuring to do. Doesn't it make sense that if other countries beging buying US Gov't Bonds, or acquiring US Dollars, that the value of the dollar will then increase? There is always equilibrium in a free market. If the dollar increases in value then people and countries will stop investing in it. They will then begin to invest in currencies that are worth less, in hopes that their values will rise so that they can earn a return on their investment. So what do you mean what do we export to get our money back? The US is a service based economy. Just because we don't have as many auto's or whatever else being exported as country X, doesn't mean that we don't export services to other countries. Think of IBM. . .they for the most part quit with the PC building side of busines, but they are still a very successfull company. They do work all over ther world, not just here in the US. Hello Helpdesk.

You seriously could do some macroeconomic studies before any more silly posts like this one.
I like your example of IBM and computer services. The majority of computer "services" and programming jobs have already been moved to India where Apoo works for one fifth of what An American educated college grad computer programmer would make. I think you're lost dude. Try again.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:04 PM

I like your example of IBM and computer services. The majority of computer "services" and programming jobs have already been moved to India where Apoo works for one fifth of what An American educated college grad computer programmer would make. I think you're lost dude. Try again.

wrong.

Many jobs have, but the majority of software development work that WAS in the United States is still in the United States. It depends on the market of software development.

If you don't believe there's still a large market for software engineers and other information technology careers in the United States, please explain Dice.com.

Edit > and for what it's worth, I'm a software developer working in the United States.

It matters because every dollar exported out of this country adds a dollar to the trade defecit which is a threat to the very existance of our country. Your dollar goes to China, China uses the dollar to buy oil from the Arabs, the Arabs end up owning our country. Figure it out.
This very simplistic view of economics is complete balony based on absolutely no facts or history, no further argument needed.

Last edited by FineWine; 02-20-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by FineWine
This very simplistic view of economics is complete balony based on absolutely no facts or history, no further argument needed.
You couldn't be more right.

You have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. The IBM example is a good one, and not only that, it's an example. There are a lot more Services than just programming. Broaden your knowledge base dude. Fact: The US is a Service Based Economy. Fact: Comparative Advantage is a very important economic variable to understand, and you do not. Come back and argue when you've done some studying. I'm far from lost. I have a degree in Economics by the way, so you have a lot of studying to do. Try again. . . after some study.

I apologize that this thread has gotten so far off topic, but the whole point of the argument stems from the question of where people would like the new Camaro to be built.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro25thann

This is what I'm talking about. The Arabs are now poised to take over control of our US ports!!! What does your textbook say about that??
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nation/3652381.html
Old 02-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Hey guys, let's stop the bickering back and forth. Please keep to the topic instead of taking pot shots at each other. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:48 AM

I'm not sure the power or iconism of the car will be effected if it is built in Canada. Many Canadians who worked for GM felt betrayed after GM shut down the Camaro facility in Quebec. So by building a plant in Canada your not exactly taking jobs from Americans, you are giving them back to Canadians.

I mean it does not really matter where the car is built. Those of you who are educated and have spent time in both the USA and Canada, will know just how similar the two are. There is'nt much difference at all.

Saying that the Camaro won't be a true " American Muscle Car " if it is built in Canada is ridiculous. I mean could you tell a new American who immigrated in from Europe or Africa and just recieved his American citizenship that he was'nt a true American or you are more of an American then him because he came into the country?

And seriously people, this is a car. Is it really worth fighting over where it is built? I really dont think it would be a bad thing or effect it's sales if it was built in the USA or Canada. And hey if Canadians did'nt buy the car because it was'nt built in Canada could you imagine the sales impact? But that won't happen, because most of us, really don't care. And if a car being built in Canada really ruined it's reputation I guess the Camaro is already screwed because of where the 4th Gens were built.

I like Canada and I likethe USA. I also love Camaro and I don't care where it's built, and if you loved Camaro you would'nt care either.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 PM

I'm okay with Canadian production, but I hope GM doesn't get roped into another contract that purports to give any one union, plant, or country the exclusive right to build the Camaro. Remember, that was one factor in the untimely death of the car in 2002.