2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Canada wants to build the new Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Re: Canada wants to build the new Camaro

Most likely, this was done as a publicity thing to drum up some interest as the Toronto Int'l Auto Show opened yesterday (Red Camaro is present). The folks in Oshawa (which is in Toronto's back yard) are still smarting over GM's recent announcement to close Oshawa #2 after the '08 MY. and Buzz Hargrove is looking to repair his reputation ASAP and thru any means possible. He is still suffering the effects of "foot in mouth" disease after being responsible for a couple of huge gaffs in his coming out in support of Paul Martin, the now former P.M. who was voted out last month. CAW leader Hargrove surprisingly chose to endorse Martin in the election rather than the labour-oriented NDP party. A lot of people are pretty pissed at Hargrove right now!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 02-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)

Originally Posted by JB22
American Muscle means built in the US. Not built in Canada or Mexico.
Let 'em build it wherever they choose - as long as it's built and built well. As a Canadian, I'd sure like to see it built in Oshawa, but at the end of the day, I just wanna see it finally get built - and I'm not too concerned where it happens. Wilmington's fine with me.
BTW, I still refer to the 4th Gen Camaros and Firebirds as "American Muscle", even though they were built in Canada. Your comment makes it seem that you do you not think of these cars as "American Muscle."
Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 02-18-2006, 10:09 AM

Today it's not really a matter of where a vehicle is built, it's where it's materials and parts are manufactured. Any country can assemble a car, but manufacturing is a different story.

I am an engineer in the automotive industry and the increasing problem of "parts" being manufactured in countries like china is proving very poor quality. Their materials controls is terrible. They have bought most of the metal resources in the world which leaves North America having to pay increased cost of materials since we have no other choice.

Today, every car that is manufactured will have some part in the car with China or overseas steel or aluminum material in them. Personally, I won't buy a new car these days since I have seen the increase in poor quality coming down the pipeline. The reason OEMs are using overseas materials is the dirt cheap cost and North America cannot compete. Hope this clears the issue up.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:10 AM

All the posturing and rhetoric is getting stupid..... "American muscle means it has to be made in America".... bah. American muscle was being assembled here in Canada long before the 4th gen Camaro/Firebird came along. GTOs and Chevelles were assembled in Oshawa in the musclecar's heyday.

Other foreign companies assemble here in Canada as well, yet these producers are still considered "foreign" even though our "domestic" brands are really just as foreign.

For all intents and purposes even though GM, Ford and Chrysler are based in the US, over a half century of AutoPact has made these companies operations in Canada no different than their ops in the US and as such, your domestic producers are every bit as much our domestic producers. Auto manufacturing for these companies is so integrated both ways across the 49th that diferences are miniscule and not even worth quibbling about (except maybe the 5mph bumpers)..... I don't care where the car is assembled - Canada or US - so long as GM can make it as high a quality and affordable an offering as possible.... so we can all enjoy it.... regardless of the country code - 1 or 2 - in the VIN.

Maybe this is just one Canadian's perspective..... sorry for the rant.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 AM

Ford sure seems to have a winning combo with the Mustang. The car is not super fast but it is resonable to insure and purchase. The car is also made right in the original motor city (Detroit). GM really needs to look at what makes a Mustang buyer so loyal. I personally would like to see the car built in the states. But if Canada got it I certainly wouldnt change my mind about buying one.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 AM

It would not bother me if it is built in Canada in the least I just want GM to build it where it is the least trouble and cost to them so we can have a affordable Camaro again. Down Under would be ok except for to long a shipping time.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:54 AM

Dont ge me wrong, im going to buy one either way. I would just like to see GM put some jobs in the states.

Getting built in Australia would just crank up the price, ala GTO.

And just to be clear, I dont think the new GTO Looks like a muscle car. It looks like a Euro to me.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by user1930
Is geography part of the NC State Engineering cirriculum?

No it's definitely not, I don't even know if we have geography. As has been stated... American car means built in the United States of America, not North America, not South America, the good ol' USA.

While we're sarcastically insulting people's intelligence... Did you even attend college? Could you have spelled engineering without it being in my sig?
Old 02-18-2006, 12:16 PM

By the time the Camaro gets out, we might see a Canadian dollar that is worth more than ours...
Old 02-18-2006, 12:19 PM

Why are we even arguing about where it is going to be built, as long as it is.
there needs to be an end to the canadian american bickering, and to focus on the real problems surounding GM and the other domestics. it is actually getting kind of iritating. whether it is built in canada or the US are both good things
Old 02-18-2006, 12:37 PM

I don't recall anyone pissing and moaning. What the heck is he talking about?
Old 02-18-2006, 12:58 PM

I've always tried to buy as 'domestic' as possible. I'd really like to see more jobs in the states, myself.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:25 PM

Didn't they already burn this bridge?
Old 02-18-2006, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Abidar
No it's definitely not, I don't even know if we have geography. As has been stated... American car means built in the United States of America, not North America, not South America, the good ol' USA.

While we're sarcastically insulting people's intelligence... Did you even attend college? Could you have spelled engineering without it being in my sig?
Yes, not only did I attend, but I also graduated. And, by the way, Engineering is spelled with a capital E. I guess you don't learn that at NC until your second year, eh?
Old 02-18-2006, 02:30 PM

I'm glad you haven't contributed anything to this thread at all. With all of these personal attacks, I'm sure this thread will be locked. However, I am in my second year. Maybe you're Canadian and speak a little French and don't have the total grasp of the English language. When using a more general form of a word, such as "engineering," it is acceptable to use a lowercase form. However, when referring to such institutions as NC State "Engineering," it is proper to capitalize the word.

Apparently we've turned an informative thread into a seemingly selfish and retarded argument over spelling, grammer, and the English language.

With only 4 posts under your belt, why attack someone so readily?

Quick Reply: Canada wants to build the new Camaro