2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Can we dump the engine covers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 04:59 PM

Re: Can we dump the engine covers?

I think it would be great if they did make the engine look good without any extra covers. However, the LSx has been around for coming on 10 years now. If it was cheap and easy to make it look good without some added plastic, i'm pretty sure we would have seen it done by now.

First there is coil relocation. Sure a bracket is pretty cheap, but it also adds a step to the assembly line since the spark plug wires have to be connected AFTER the engine is dropped in the body.

Painted / polished valve covers cost more than as cast plain jane.

Extra attention to the wiring harness and how it connects to the injectors and sensors would also be key.

Then there's the NVH question. Extra hood insulation?

A pretty engine is definitely nowhere near free.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
A couple of dollars here and there make a differance on a high volume car.

It really adds up when you take a could bucks a part over a handfull of parts on a car.
You can always subtract the cost of "beauty covers".
Old 04-07-2006, 05:26 PM

Why not make engine covers an extra cost option on the base models? Sounds ridiculous, maybe?
Old 11-11-2006, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Why not make engine covers an extra cost option on the base models? Sounds ridiculous, maybe?
That wouldn't be such a bad idea. You can pretty much assume that GM would have the holes there in all of their engines anyway for the bolts for the cover, but if you really did care enough (and there certainly are people that do!) you can get the extra option.

Me? I'd go without it, and maybe buy it on eBay a little later if I did care.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:15 PM

You know its getting a little boring around here when there are 5 pages of debating about something as trivial as engine covers. lol. FWIW, I could go either way.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM

With Dodge/Chrysler showing off some cool, bare, raw engines, I would not doubt it if the Camaro had no engine covers.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Nice bump. April?
Old 11-21-2006, 11:38 AM

FWIW, on the Mustang boards there was much complaining that the production car didn't come with the cover like the concept. Now, an aftermarket supplier makes them, and I also think the factory is starting to put them on some models now as well.

It's funny to me, it's just the opposite over there!

FWIW, I like the GTO type covers....and if I have money to burn, I'll make mine more individual and customize it myself, adding polished covers and relocating the coils, etc.

....that's what real hot rodders do anyway, right?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:12 PM

I completely understand Charlie's point on this - and I'm with him. Engines were things of beauty and pride once upon a time and they should be again.

I would pay for such an option.

Being proud of your product has an intangible value and indicates a level of quality that a cheapo plastic cover never could.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:13 AM

As long as it doesn't hold in heat, the extra noise reduction isn't bad. Honestly i'm not one to go staring at the engine so i really don't care what it looks like as long as it runs. heck, that's what the majority (V6) buyers won't even see under the hood unless they have to check the oil or have a problem.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:52 AM

The engine covers NEED TO GO! Nothing like going to a car show and seeing a nice LS1 with the hood up. Then you take a look and see nothing but a few black tubes under there.

GM has the time to develop all sorts of new gadgets and options over the years. A nice looking engine compartment should be easy to do. That was one of my beefs with the C5 Corvette. They made the hoods cover the sides of the engine and then covered the engine itself with a cover.

I think the 1st engine looks better. Some of us like to be able to work on our own engines too (LT1 Camaros ARGH)
Old 12-02-2006, 02:16 PM

I kinda like the covers... my guess is that average Joe does too.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:34 AM

Those GTO covers sure look an awful lot like the Camaro covers in robvas' post above.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:17 PM

I really like the fuel rail covers. They add some nice contrast to the engine bay. With the way engines are made now as far as all the electronics and emissions, it's a nice balance. I really dislike when companies take it too far though and all you can see when you pop the hood is a sea of plastic.

The GTO and Vette set ups are perfect IMO.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:40 AM

Just thought you would like to see mine....only difference is I changed from to red with the new engine. The Vette got totaled driving under a truck, Ripped off the top of the car, so now I have the engine in mine.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/335896/2

Quick Reply: Can we dump the engine covers?