2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Can we dump the engine covers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:12 AM

Re: Can we dump the engine covers?

Originally Posted by Z284ever
And TPI cars have a good looking motor....
So true.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
It might be worth mentioning that almost any engine cover can be removed in 5 minutes or less; so if it really bothers you, remove it. Tada; bare engine. Just like you like it.
No problem. Just give us a good looking engine.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:24 AM

Engine covers give the look of just a cleaner design when done right. Its more about pleasing the viewer and attracting those types. I think it will deffinatly be needed for V6 buyers. I would imagne that we would see something along the lines as the "valve covers" like on the GTO and Corvette, close to the concept's engine cover. What would be nice if on the cover, they put HP and displacment like they used to do on air cleaners, in that red lettering and black background...just a thought.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:01 PM

There's no way to make an LS* engine look great. I don't belive GM is going to invest the extra time and energy in relocating the coil packs someplace else under the hood. IMO, the GTO covers are the best compromise.

Mustang's underhood looks good.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by guionM
There's no way to make an LS* engine look great. ......
Oh really.....

Old 04-05-2006, 12:53 PM

Nice job Doug.

I prefer function over form. The engine cover should be the hood.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 PM

Doug - now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by ssheets
Nice job Doug.

I prefer function over form. The engine cover should be the hood.

That's Mark's car... "Mecom Racer" on other boards....his car is KILLER!!
Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
No problem. Just give us a good looking engine.
Sounds like you want coil relocation and nice valve covers from the factory. That sounds more expensive and maybe a little more work on the assembly line than just slapping some FRCs over the mess.

I'd like what you're suggesting too, but would it really help sell more cars? If not, why spend money on it when it's easy enough to do on your own with aftermarket pieces?

Also, as pointed out, if it helps with NVH, would you give up a more aggressive stock cam to help quiet things down to make up for the lack of FRCs?
Old 04-05-2006, 06:20 PM

Honestly I don't really care what the stupid engine looks like, as long as it's affordable and runs like a scalded ape.

Now having said that I wouldn't mind covers, this could be the first time the Camaro actually gets some covers from the factory and everyone wants to kill them already. The LTx and LSx Vettes have had covers while the Fbodies have not, I'd rather have the Vette covers than not, but really it's a minor minor point to worry about.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:44 AM

The question is how much more are you ready to add to the cost of the engine and car to make it pretty?

The cover is only on as a cheap way to hide a mass of wires and black engine. It also remove engine noise in some cars like mt Comp G.

With how GM wants to price this car the price of a cover can be a important choice here on base price and keeping cost low. I know with the questions Scott is asking those at his get togethers on what we want and and what we can live without all factor in to cost. If you get a expensive cover you may have to tlive without something else.

Covers are one thing the aftermarket has not really addressed well. There is a big market and a lot of money to be made. Only a few Vette part have been made so if anyone is looking to get into a new line here you are.

GM has to look and figure of the many who will buy a Camaro how many will care wha the engine looks like. If they sell more V6 engines than v8 Most will never check the oil let alone look at the engine or worry about it appearance.

I can understand people here being concerned about the cover but in the outside world how many are going to care?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Have you looked under the hood of a show hot rod recently? The majority of them have custom engine covers... unless they're a "resto-rod" and customized to reflect a certain period in hot rodding.

Back in the day, this type of customization would be referred as "sano" or "sanitizing" the engine bay. Many guys like the "less clutter" look.

Oh really? I go to hundreds of car shows every year. I rarely see a "custom" engine cover on a BBC or Pontiac or Flat head Ford, do you?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:10 AM

Thumbs up Re: Can we dump the engine covers?

I like the carbon fiber hood liner!

Old 04-07-2006, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
The question is how much more are you ready to add to the cost of the engine and car to make it pretty?

The cover is only on as a cheap way to hide a mass of wires and black engine. It also remove engine noise in some cars like mt Comp G.

With how GM wants to price this car the price of a cover can be a important choice here on base price and keeping cost low. I know with the questions Scott is asking those at his get togethers on what we want and and what we can live without all factor in to cost. If you get a expensive cover you may have to tlive without something else.

Covers are one thing the aftermarket has not really addressed well. There is a big market and a lot of money to be made. Only a few Vette part have been made so if anyone is looking to get into a new line here you are.

GM has to look and figure of the many who will buy a Camaro how many will care wha the engine looks like. If they sell more V6 engines than v8 Most will never check the oil let alone look at the engine or worry about it appearance.

I can understand people here being concerned about the cover but in the outside world how many are going to care?
I'm not sure that it would cost much - if anything - to tidy up the engine compartment.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:44 PM

A couple of dollars here and there make a differance on a high volume car.

It really adds up when you take a could bucks a part over a handfull of parts on a car.

Cost cutting was very tight on the Solstice to keep it at a base price of $19,900. I expect Lutz is hard on them to keep the price down on this car too.

Scott pointed out and asked how important the leather smell in the car is. It cost monry to develope the right smell and add it to the leather. He pointed out that the leather smell you get just does not happen.

If they are asking of the importance of the leather smell I think they are really counting the pennys to retain cost.

This time Lutz has not state a price publicly like he did on the Solstice. This really added pressure and frustration for many at GM.

If you note the story on the new Holden cost cutting is a very big part on that car. Many of the parts are going to be imported and they are wondering how it will effect the home built idea of the new Zeta in August down under.

Keep the price on Zeta is very important from tail lights to engine cover and not comprimise the cars quality.

Quick Reply: Can we dump the engine covers?