2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro vs Bel Air....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM

Re: Camaro vs Bel Air....

Originally Posted by Z284ever
!!!TED!!! posted this pic on C&G, I thought it was an interesting comparison.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums...pe=post&id=167

I always have, and still am, intrigued by a cheap GMT355 based, BOF line of cars...

How many of you would buy that Bel Air for the roughly low $20's GM quoted for a production version? Probably well under $20K for a hardtop.
I havent seen it in person. The grille seems strange. The concept I thought lost a little bit of the 57 in the exact same way the production Tbird lost a little bit of the 57 Tbird when they shaved the fins and headlight points. I do like the idea though.

I would be more interested in the Camaro though unless I need the room.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:59 PM

Wow , that pic of the Bel-Air kinda puts in mind of a convertible version of a early 70's Monte Carlo .
Old 02-23-2006, 04:16 PM

The Chevrolet brand desparately needs a low price convertible. Currently if you want a new convertible with a bowtie on it, your only choices are Corvette and SSR.

I'm sorry but, if Chevrolet is GM's value brand, then there has to be a convertible for under $30k available.

Come on GM, help me out here. My wife wants a BMW 3-series convertible as her next car. (Bright red of course.)
Old 02-23-2006, 05:59 PM

!!!TED!!! posted this pic on C&G, I thought it was an interesting comparison.

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums...pe=post&id=167

I always have, and still am, intrigued by a cheap GMT355 based, BOF line of cars...

How many of you would buy that Bel Air for the roughly low $20's GM quoted for a production version? Probably well under $20K for a hardtop.
Is it just me or is the Bel Air a little on the bland side?
Scrap it and try again....
Old 02-23-2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by CalicoJack
The Bel Air needs a design with much more personality. The name carries feelings much like that of Mustang with the middle aged crowd. If it had the styling wow of the SSR or Camaro it would sell like mad. As a matter of fact, drop the Malibu and Malibu MAXX and replace it with the Bel Air and Nomad. Much better name association with those two in this age of retro.
Agreed, except that I would not call myself middle aged (I am 25 ). It needs to be lower, longer, and wider. I hated the Bel Air concept when it came out, I am ok with it now that I know that it was just a last minute filler, but I still would hate to see it make production as it sits. Bel Airs in the 50's used styling cues from more expensive cars while still maintaining their own personality, I think GM is more than capable of doing that again. Think '56 Chevy infused with Cadillac's "Art & Science". Ideally there would atleast be a coupe, sedan, and wagon (preferrably with 2 and 4 door versions of the sedan and wagon). Honestly, if they got the styling right and it kept the price down, I would not have a huge problem with a truck based suspension.

David

Last edited by Diognes56; 02-24-2006 at 03:08 AM.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 PM

The Bel Air just doesn't do anything for me. Never has. Sorry guys.

The only Bel Air worth a hoot was made in the 1950's.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:21 PM

I dont like either model, just dont have the same flashyness of the 300C.

I dont think its completely off, just needs some tweaking, front end looks just not right.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:40 PM

Actually, I think the Bel Air's styling is on the lame side as well. I'm more interested in the concept of a GMT355 based car, with some cooler styling.

A base Colorado starts at $15,590. Could a GMT355 car be offered for $2,000 more than that? Seventeen five, get's you RWD, 5 speed manual, 175 hp, some spiffy sheetmetal...maybe something along the lines of Diognes56's drawing. I think that'd be pretty neat. Offer a buttload of factory engineered, dealer installed accessories...kind of like Scion, including wheels, superchargers, suspensions, etc.

You know what? I'd have GM Argentina or GM Brazil develop it. They seem to be able to design cars from off the shelf components and obsolete platforms at very low cost.

For the price of a totally dealer accessorized Scion tC, you could have a Chevy dealer accessorized, very cool, (that is assuming different sheetmetal than the Bel Air concept), RWD, stickshift, supercharged ride, with lowered suspension and 18 or 19" wheels.

Who wouldn't like that?

Last edited by Z284ever; 02-23-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:30 AM

As probally the lone wolf who actually likes the Belair, I think it's only a grille restyling away from acceptance.

It's not a Camaro, and next to the Velite, it's all but invisible. but the Belair has attractive sheetmetal, and it's design has LONG legs. The car hasn't aged at all design-wise, even though it's already over 3 years old already!

It's not an agressive design, and it shouldn't be. It looks somewhat disproportionate because it's built on a Trailblazer chassis. But put on the wide upcoming RWD Chevy chassis, and the car is going to look hot.

I'm comfortable being the only one saying this.

But then, I'm sometimes the community's eccentric too.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
It's not an agressive design, and it shouldn't be. It looks somewhat disproportionate because it's built on a Trailblazer chassis. But put on the wide upcoming RWD Chevy chassis, and the car is going to look hot.
Sounds like you know it's already on the way....
Old 02-24-2006, 06:47 AM

Actually, I think the Bel Air's styling is on the lame side as well. I'm more interested in the concept of a GMT355 based car, with some cooler styling.

A base Colorado starts at $15,590. Could a GMT355 car be offered for $2,000 more than that? Seventeen five, get's you RWD, 5 speed manual, 175 hp, some spiffy sheetmetal...maybe something along the lines of Diognes56's drawing. I think that'd be pretty neat. Offer a buttload of factory engineered, dealer installed accessories...kind of like Scion, including wheels, superchargers, suspensions, etc.

You know what? I'd have GM Argentina or GM Brazil develop it. They seem to be able to design cars from off the shelf components and obsolete platforms at very low cost.

For the price of a totally dealer accessorized Scion tC, you could have a Chevy dealer accessorized, very cool, (that is assuming different sheetmetal than the Bel Air concept), RWD, stickshift, supercharged ride, with lowered suspension and 18 or 19" wheels.

Who wouldn't like that?
I agree with you there. Kinda like an entry level RWD model that can come as a 'vert and have lots of accessories to personalize it.

New styling and a new name (Bel-Air wouldnt work IMO if it plays this kind of role) and yeah, I could dig it
Old 02-24-2006, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
As probally the lone wolf who actually likes the Belair, I think it's only a grille restyling away from acceptance.
Your not the only one.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98
I agree with you there. Kinda like an entry level RWD model that can come as a 'vert and have lots of accessories to personalize it.

New styling and a new name (Bel-Air wouldnt work IMO if it plays this kind of role) and yeah, I could dig it
Entry level is the key. If something like this can't be priced substantially below Zeta, there is no point to it. Maybe adding a basic strut front suspension from Delta or Epsilon would save afew more bucks, ( but add cost to development.).

And I'm not so sure it needs swoopy styling either. Maybe more funky than swoopy. The xB sure isn't swoopy, it's a cube on wheels. But I see them everywhere, modified with slammed suspensions and aggressive wheel/tire combos. The xB is a CHEAP, blank canvas with a ton of factory accessories available. For those who dig in their pockets to cough up the cash for one, they are seen as easily affordable, cool, and easy to customize.

Here's some performance stuff you can have dealer installed on an xB:

Performance

*TRD Struts/Shocks Kit $329

*TRD Sport Muffler $399

*TRD Lowering Springs Kit $189

*TRD Quick Shifter $157

*TRD Assembly Clutch $328

TRD Front Strut Tie Bar $245

*TRD Cold Air Intake $385

TRD Rear Sway bar $250

There is also a full range of interior, exterior, sound and wheels accessories.

GM needs to get into this segment, even if the cars themselves are sold at little profit...the accessories are profit rich, and the consumers you'll captivate might buy GM for decades to come.

Last edited by Z284ever; 02-24-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Your not the only one.
Ditto.

A mild front grill area restyling and I might be able to convince the mrs. in a Belair.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by SFireGT98
OBTW, what kind styling do you think would work?

Quick Reply: Camaro vs Bel Air....