2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Camaro Racing in NASCAR

Old 09-08-2008, 08:42 PM

Cool Camaro Racing in NASCAR

For those of us into the NASCAR thing, it looks as if Chevy is one step closer to bringing the Camaro to the race track in the Nationwide Series. See the link below, but the essence of the article is this:

"Of the four manufacturers currently racing in the series, only Toyota has announced its model for the Nationwide new car, the Camry that currently races in both the Sprint Cup and Nationwide series. The new car type would include Chevrolet's new Camaro, Ford's Mustang and Dodge's new Challenger.

"NASCAR was looking for a pony car, or a car that's different than what we have on the Cup Series," said Laerte Zatta, Toyota program manager for the Craftsman Truck and Nationwide series. "But we don't have a model that is very different."
Well there's an understatement if I've ever heard one...

Anyway, see the full article below, but I thought it was interesting that they called out the Camaro in the article. Enjoy...

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/head...est/index.html
Old 09-08-2008, 08:51 PM

Does that mean my car will only turn to the left?
I really cannot stand Nascar so this is bad news for me. I was hoping to see the Camaro in sports car racing.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM

Its not good OR bad news.

Just because Nascar allows GM to slap Camaro logos and headlight stickers on a generic Nascar-buearacracy-approved body in white, does not a Camaro make it...
Old 09-08-2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by MissedShift
Its not good OR bad news.

Just because Nascar allows GM to slap Camaro logos and headlight stickers on a generic Nascar-buearacracy-approved body in white, does not a Camaro make it...
Yea I agree. The Camaro, Challenger and Mustang are very different looking than the standard NASCAR COT.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:20 AM

The Camaro, Challenger, Mustang idea is for the Nationwide Series. From what I've read, they would move the jr. Nascar series away from the generic Nascar form, and use true bodies in white. Add in some road courses and it would be TransAm all over again.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
The Camaro, Challenger, Mustang idea is for the Nationwide Series. From what I've read, they would move the jr. Nascar series away from the generic Nascar form, and use true bodies in white. Add in some road courses and it would be TransAm all over again.
Ill believe that when I see it, and not one moment before.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:46 AM

GM said early on that they were not going to use the Camaro name for this, but rather the Malibu. If you follow the link below to the testing pics, it's pretty clear that it's not a Camaro and also that Ford has elected to not use the Mustang as well. That make DC as the only one to use a pony/muscle car body (and they are definately not "bodies in white").

http://www.jayski.com/nationwide/200...t-richmond.htm
Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by CalicoJack
GM said early on that they were not going to use the Camaro name for this, but rather the Malibu. If you follow the link below to the testing pics, it's pretty clear that it's not a Camaro and also that Ford has elected to not use the Mustang as well. That make DC as the only one to use a pony/muscle car body (and they are definately not "bodies in white").

Good pics. The Chevy is obviously either a Malibu or Impala. The Ford a Fusion. Now the 2nd to last pic from the bottom shows what looks like a Challenger nose and hood on a COT that I assume is the Dodge. Interesting but I wonder how it will fare against the slicker nosed cars of the other manufacturers.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Ah, no.

(In addition to the above) The new "junior" series car.... http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/head...est/index.html
Old 09-09-2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Good pics. The Chevy is obviously either a Malibu or Impala. The Ford a Fusion. Now the 2nd to last pic from the bottom shows what looks like a Challenger nose and hood on a COT that I assume is the Dodge. Interesting but I wonder how it will fare against the slicker nosed cars of the other manufacturers.
That's makes no sense at all for Dodge???? That nose looks like it would be a HUGE disadvantage over the other makes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
Does that mean my car will only turn to the left?
I really cannot stand Nascar so this is bad news for me. I was hoping to see the Camaro in sports car racing.
You will see it in road racing. Although there is only 1 more direction for a car to turn other than left, lol. If directions were the centric of the game, cars would have a GPS. Hell, even a 13-turn road course is easy to get around the 50th lap.

The son of Bill France founded Grand Am over a decade ago so have fear... a man with Nascar in his blood will over see a Camaro turning right.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 AM

f*** nascar.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
f*** nascar.
QFT!
Old 09-10-2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by CalicoJack
That make DC as the only one to use a pony/muscle car body (and they are definately not "bodies in white").

Wow... I realized they wouldnt be bodies in white as we know them, but DAMN. They could have at least ATTEMPTED to make the cars look different...

NASCAR is a dying sport.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:42 AM

wouldn't this be the perfect time for a racing series to have REAL production cars (that are only slightly modified) race eachother? It can be called the National Assocciation for Stock CAr Racing... oh wait, someone already made a mockery of that name by using tube frame cars with stock names on them. NASCAR should really change their name... or how about they make another series with real stock cars??!! It can be like MTV creating MTV2 to show videos... then eventually filling that with crap shows too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Camaro Racing in NASCAR