2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro Fifth Generation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 09:09 PM

Camaro Fifth Generation

You know, I was thrilled when I saw the pictures floating around the Internet of the possible prototype of the camaro come back. They really reflected the 69 camaro that I know. But, and I'm not being to critical, but doesn't the official release at the Detroit auto show look much like the ford mustang? I'm sorry, but I got a sick feeling when I saw the official release. I love camaros and I will put my order in for the new release regardless of what it looks like, but I'm concerned that the new design GM is projecting is more of a copy cat design than an original like the prototype I've been drooling over!

I know there are design formats that GM must follow, and I'm sure the new design will grow on me, but I was expecting much more for a car that dominated the market for so many years!

Does anyone else feel this way?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:14 PM

Re: Camaro Fifth Generation

Originally Posted by 70Z28
Does anyone else feel this way?
Not at all. I absolutely love the concept! It is everything I hoped for, and I see no similarities between it and the Mustang. If anything it looks closer to the Challenger concept than the Mustang, but that's just my opinion.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:16 PM

They are both heavily retro but I wouldn't say they look the same. Camaros have always been much better looking.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:40 PM

I agree that the camaro has always been on top of the mustang, and it does look much like the challenger, but I still can't help but seeing a resemblance to the mustang in the new offering. But GM's market is with the younger generation so I guess us old folks will just have to except what we see.

Like I said. it'll grow on me and I'll certainly put my order in for one!

Thanks for your opinion, and happy driving!
Old 01-24-2006, 09:40 PM

For the 3 trillionth time, wait till you see it in person.
Its wider, lower, and much MUCH more agressive looking in person. The Mustang aint got nothing on this.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:45 PM

You're absolutely right! I have not seen it up close and personal...but when I do I know I'll totally fall in love with it! Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:11 PM

I don't think it looks like a Mustang, except that it is somewhat the same configuration. It is a lot more futuristic.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:18 PM

I agree that it doesn't look like a Mustang, but my wife thinks it does. Needless to say, I have filed the divorce papers
Old 01-24-2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
I agree that it doesn't look like a Mustang, but my wife thinks it does. Needless to say, I have filed the divorce papers
Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 AM

Plus its smaller than the Mustang.
Old 01-25-2006, 02:37 AM

I have heard this on multiple boards, and frankly all I can think of is that the people saying it haven't actually looked at a Mustang lately, they just have a similar shape so that sticks with them I guess. If you look at back to back pictures to compare the different views the Camaro is way more aggressive looking. The Mustang looks alot boxier too, if you notice it doesn't have anything in the way of "hips" or "shoulders" or whatever you want to call the extremely muscular looking Camaro rear quarter panel shapes. The nose looks more upright and more old fashioned on the Mustang too, doesn't really come to a point at all like the Camaro nose. All the hard creased muscular design of the Camaro just flat out looks hot to me. I like the stang too but it looks much tamer (of course it's a production car...), and I'm growing to really dislike the little rear quarter windows or whatever they are. And notice how curved the rearend of the Camaro is, hard to see in alot of the shots but it's not a plain flat rear end like the Stang, and check out the rear overhang on the Stang, I've always thought that looked off before we even had a hint of what the Camaro would look like...

Check out these pics for comparison, I really just don't see that much similar between the two, then consider the size and width that has been stated to be pretty different between the two (which I can't vouch for, but will see it when it's in Atlanta). Anyway, comparisons:

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 01-25-2006 at 02:42 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:35 AM

I see it now more with the side by sides.

above the wheel wells are very similar and they shouldnt be. I think Camaro should have the swooshes. The concept took the 3rd gen look flatening the sides to more of a 05 mustang look where as 69 camaro was rounded. The back was stretched to 3rd gen slope of course giving it a fast back which Mustang had from day one. I llove that fast back on both cars!

Didnt think Id say this but I see it now. Having said that its a beautiful car. I know there arent alot of mustang fans here but I like them too. Both are, but I want to see that Camaro! Thats the one at the top of my list.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 01-25-2006 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:54 PM

They're both ponycars and the Camaro was initially created to compete with the Mustang in the ponycar market.

Explain to me why they shouldn't be similar again?
Old 01-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Bert02SS

Originally Posted by jg95z28
They're both ponycars and the Camaro was initially created to compete with the Mustang in the ponycar market.

Explain to me why they shouldn't be similar again?
Exactamundo! "Form follows function." So, what accounts for the Challenger design? Simply put, it's a updated copy of the original. The critical word being "copy". The Mustang and Camaro are modern designs with retro cues. Not copies.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:31 PM

Both Mustang and Camaro are pony/muscle cars

Both the Expedition and Tahoe are SUVs

Both the F-150 and Silverado are pickup trucks.

I feel like some people were expecting the new Camaro to be a van or something.

Quick Reply: Camaro Fifth Generation