CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/)
-   -   Camaro Concept will be on a stretched Kappa chassis (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/2010-2015-camaro-news-sightings-pictures-multimedia-61/camaro-concept-will-stretched-kappa-chassis-411289/)

Darth Xed 11-22-2005 07:24 AM

Camaro Concept will be on a stretched Kappa chassis

According to Autoweek, anyway...

(If this is old news, please disregard)

Originally Posted by Autoweek
Camaro coming

Dodge won’t get all the muscle car buzz with its Challenger concept at the Detroit auto show this January. Word is General Motors will show a Camaro concept on a stretched Kappa (Solstice, Sky) chassis. The car is set for production as a 2009 model, sources say.

The other GM concept for Detroit won’t be a Pontiac Firebird, but more likely will be a Buick crossover.

Original Link: http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=103646

IREngineer 11-22-2005 07:28 AM

Re: Camaro Concept will be on a stretched Kappa chassis

Let's not be sidetracked by this guys. It's only a donor chassis. Thanks for posting Darth.

Darth Xed 11-22-2005 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by IREngineer
Let's not be sidetracked by this guys. It's only a donor chassis. Thanks for posting Darth.

A fine point...

I was not intending to imply that the production car would be the same... just the concept.

Z284ever 11-22-2005 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by IREngineer

Yeah, but it's my understanding that this is not the donor chassis. Hmmm odd. Wonder where all this Kappa stuff is coming from? Someone with usually pretty solid info posted something about a Kappa derived Camaro on C&G and GMI recently.

guionM 11-22-2005 11:19 AM

Seems everyone and their brother made it clear not to expect the chassis under the concept to be the production chassis. One even reminded me the original Solstice was a modified J car, and the production version had something totally new and different.

Hints don't get much more obvious than that. :)

Sixer-Bird 11-22-2005 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yeah, but it's my understanding that this is not the donor chassis. Hmmm odd. Wonder where all this Kappa stuff is coming from? Someone with usually pretty solid info posted something about a Kappa derived Camaro on C&G and GMI recently.

What other donor platforms could there be? Sigma? VY or VE? Or maybe something similar to the Belaire concept? I guess it really doesn't matter what platform the concept is on. Just as long as it's there.

number77 11-22-2005 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
Seems everyone and their brother made it clear not to expect the chassis under the concept to be the production chassis. One even reminded me the original Solstice was a modified J car, and the production version had something totally new and different.

Hints don't get much more obvious than that. :)

But I thought this car was along farther than we all thought? :confused:

turbo96z28 11-22-2005 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by number77
But I thought this car was along farther than we all thought? :confused:

even so, GM wouldn't show their hand this early if the car is still 18 months away from launch.

number77 11-22-2005 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
even so, GM wouldn't show their hand this early if the car is still 18 months away from launch.

18 months huh?
GM has been working on this car for how 3 years, Chrysler working on its Challenger for 1 year (maybe less). If the Challenger beats the 5th gen to the market, I don't care if it is low volume, it would be undeniable proof that GM is a slowpoke.

turbo96z28 11-22-2005 12:08 PM

18 months huh?
GM has been working on this car for how 3 years, Chrysler working on its Challenger for 1 year (maybe less). If the Challenger beats the 5th gen to the market, I don't care if it is low volume, it would be undeniable proof that GM is a slowpoke.

don't forget 18 months would mean the car would see launch by mid CY2007. maybe we might get our 40th anniversary after all...

Big Als Z 11-22-2005 02:18 PM

BS, the Challenger is built on an LX chassis thats engineering dates back to the 80's.

91_z28_4me 11-22-2005 02:35 PM

Word, look at the beltline on the Challenger it is freaking high just like the LX cars. If people think that LX and LY are totally unrelated then they are stupid.

Z284ever 11-22-2005 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
What other donor platforms could there be? Sigma? VY or VE? Or maybe something similar to the Belaire concept? I guess it really doesn't matter what platform the concept is on. Just as long as it's there.

It's NOT going to be Kappa.

Probably mostly Sigma - for the concept.

90 Z28SS 11-22-2005 03:29 PM

I dont care to speculate on the chassis since its not gonna be a production chassis . I just cant wait to see it in the flesh :)

ChrisL 11-22-2005 07:21 PM

18 months huh?
GM has been working on this car for how 3 years

nope, not nearly that long.