2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Beating the Dead horse(again)……Z28 vs. SS = Z28 TOP DOG

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2006, 11:09 AM

Re: Beating the Dead horse(again)……Z28 vs. SS = Z28 TOP DOG

It keeps going...and going....

Old 01-18-2006, 11:10 AM

Anyone think the LS7 should get the ZL1 designation

or would that be more acurately a 572?

Considering ZL1 is the car most comperable to Shelby the first time, thats what I think the LS7 should be going up against the supercharged small block
Old 01-18-2006, 11:12 AM

How about this one, I love both Z28 and SS but it is true the the SS name is getting tarnished with cars like the current malibu SS, the impy's and monte's do have pep to them but the malibu . But anyway, whatever the top Camaro will be I WANT IT TO BE THE BEST CAMARO EVER AND A GT500 STOMPER!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
It keeps going...and going....

<waiting for picture of energizer bunny>
Old 01-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by turbo96z28
<waiting for picture of energizer bunny>
Old 01-18-2006, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Anyone think the LS7 should get the ZL1 designation

or would that be more acurately a 572?

Considering ZL1 is the car most comperable to Shelby the first time, thats what I think the LS7 should be going up against the supercharged small block
I don't think any production car will ever get any variation of the 572. That would make one hell of a ZL1 though (like John Moss's). I don't think too many people would complain about GM using the ZL1 badge with that monster engine in there.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by HTWLSS
Old 01-18-2006, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by RhinoSS

Old 01-18-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by ZZMike
All I can say is you should have been there. We did not have video cameras back then. ***EDIT*** We did have wind up movie cameras, LOL ***EDIT*** I can hunt down my engine dyno sheet I imagine, the 302 made 418 horsepower or so. Not that it would stop the argument, you'd come up with some other lame assed angle to exploit.

I was there, I lived it, before you were even an itch in your daddy's britches. If you don't want to believe me, that's fine. I'm not going to waste whole hell of a lot of time trying to prove an ancient point to some kid on a message board, I've gotten to the point where life is too short.
I don't care if you were alive when Jesus was born, unless you and the other guy have a special definition of race ready that includes some kind of handicapping or limiting of what the 396 can have setup wise in order to allow the 302 and 396 to compete on level ground in some kind of racing class, this is utter and complete garbage.

The 302 was not magical, it had pretty good heads for a small block for the time, had a big fairly rowdy cam from the factory, good intake available, etc. But it absolutely pales in comparison to something like a built BBC with muuuuch better flowing rectangular port heads, significantly bigger cam, etc, etc. They're not even in the same league when both are truly built for max power. You could easily, easily surpass 500 hp with even a relatively mild built 396. True Chevy put some fairly tame 396s in cars that the 302 with some mild mods could probably compete with on the street (and I'm not putting down the 302...), but something like the L78 (my father purchased one new late in '67 BTW) in the Camaro SS was a excellent street setup and would eat the 302 Z/28s in a straight line with similar setups/mods between the two...

NO WAY on planet earth does a truly race ready 396 have even an inkling of trouble of with a similarly prepped 302. No way.

It's downright simple, engines are effectively airpumps and a big-block with rectangular port heads, even a "baby" 396 engine, has the potential to way way outflow the 302, especially with the technology used back then.

Hell the L78 had a FACTORY hp rating of 425hp in the Corvette (somehow it loses 50 hp going to the Chevelle and Camaro w/ no actual changes, good ole Chevy and it's ratings games), over the numbers you're claiming from your modded 302...

Last edited by Ray86IROC; 01-18-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:42 PM

I have posted this before. My father had a '69 l78-m22 SS Camaro, and he said Z/28's didn't stand a chance on the straights. Hell, he said that car would take out his 69 427/400-4m vette.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ray86IROC
I don't care if you were alive when Jesus was born, unless you and the other guy have a special definition of race ready that includes some kind of handicapping or limiting of what the 396 can have setup wise in order to allow the 302 and 396 to compete on level ground in some kind of racing class, this is utter and complete garbage.
Seriously, they were not much of a problem. They were so busy trying to get traction on the tires we had back then or just not as fast as you might imagine. I beat a very large share of them. Did I beat them all?? No, I never said I did. Did I race your dad?? Probably not, but I have to take your word that he even owned an L-78 (I'm sure google has pictures if you need to "prove" it). I raced many 396 Camaros and Chevelles on the street and on the strip and won; it happened, get over it. Where's Mr. Peabody and his wayback machine when I need it. And for the record, race ready means you back it off the trailer or drive it to the track and race it, when it was in the staging beams or at the stoplight, it was race ready.

One day, when you're much older, you'll be posting about how you beat LS-1s on occasion with your clapped out 94 Automatic LT-1 and people won't believe you, either.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 AM

Seriously, they were not much of a problem. They were so busy trying to get traction on the tires we had back then or just not as fast as you might imagine. I beat a very large share of them. Did I beat them all?? No, I never said I did. Did I race your dad?? Probably not, but I have to take your word that he even owned an L-78 (I'm sure google has pictures if you need to "prove" it). I raced many 396 Camaros and Chevelles on the street and on the strip and won; it happened, get over it. Where's Mr. Peabody and his wayback machine when I need it. And for the record, race ready means you back it off the trailer or drive it to the track and race it, when it was in the staging beams or at the stoplight, it was race ready.

One day, when you're much older, you'll be posting about how you beat LS-1s on occasion with your clapped out 94 Automatic LT-1 and people won't believe you, either.
Yeah but the only reason he would beat an LS1 is if the LS1 spun. Doesn't mean the LT1 is the faster or more powerful car - he just beat the driver. Just like you beating the guys who had problems with traction back in the day. I've seen C5 Z06s run 14s before, while stock LS1s were running mid 13s. 20 years from now, would it be cool of those LS1 guys to go into a chat room and talk about how the new King of the Hill for Chevrolet should be the Camaro instead of the top of the line Vette "just because they used to beat up on Z06 Vettes back in the day"? No they just beat the driver, not the car.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:17 PM

And for the record, race ready means you back it off the trailer or drive it to the track and race it, when it was in the staging beams or at the stoplight, it was race ready.

Ok, this is where we misunderstood each other. Let me rephrase this. In fully built, completely worked over, competition drag race trim, the 396 will easily walk over a 302 that is also likewise fully prepped. Giving up almost 100 cubes to another motor is almost certainly a good way to get your *** kicked, especially when both car are naturally aspirated.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
Yeah but the only reason he would beat an LS1 is if the LS1 spun. Doesn't mean the LT1 is the faster or more powerful car - he just beat the driver. Just like you beating the guys who had problems with traction back in the day. I've seen C5 Z06s run 14s before, while stock LS1s were running mid 13s. 20 years from now, would it be cool of those LS1 guys to go into a chat room and talk about how the new King of the Hill for Chevrolet should be the Camaro instead of the top of the line Vette "just because they used to beat up on Z06 Vettes back in the day"? No they just beat the driver, not the car.

Just my 2 cents.
Good example.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
Ok, this is where we misunderstood each other. Let me rephrase this. In fully built, completely worked over, competition drag race trim, the 396 will easily walk over a 302 that is also likewise fully prepped. Giving up almost 100 cubes to another motor is almost certainly a good way to get your *** kicked, especially when both car are naturally aspirated.
Sorry Russ, but you're wrong. In 1968 Dave Strickler won the NHRA Super Stock World Championship in a Z/28, besting many 396 SS Camaros.

Quick Reply: Beating the Dead horse(again)……Z28 vs. SS = Z28 TOP DOG