2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

...back from Milford, ...my thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Disciple

...back from Milford, ...my thoughts.

...to the admins, ...if there is another thread started on this that I overlooked, ...feel free to move there.

We're physically back from Milford, ...but I can honestly say, ...mentally my mind is still racing with all that we were able to experience.

The one thing that sticks with this trip, ...is the things we can not say. I know that may sound 'lame', ...but there's good reason GM does NOT want things leaked.
For the times we've been to Milford we have an have not at times been allowed to bring our cameras to take pics. It's catch-22 though, ...since if you can bring your camera, ..you can get some really cool shots. On the other hand, ...if we're told to leave them behind (as was the case this trip), ...well, ...you get to see some really cool stuff.

So, ..some thoughts, in no particular order:

- Is chevy working on a certain model Camaro?
...we can't say for sure, ... and neither will they.
- Chevy is constantly looking at and working on it's offerings, ...we saw some of that in motion. What we could see and hear? ...as has been said before, ...keep the faith. I think good things are to come...
- The level of passion the engineering and product team has, is without a doubt, ...second to NONE. They are absolutely committed to getting things right.
- Are they listening? ...you bet they are. When we hear the level of scrutiny they place on each and every issue, ...it amazes me. As we sat there discussing things, ...they ARE taking notes, ...AND taking action.
Will the car have every thing every person wants? ...no. But there is NO question in my mind that they are doing every possible thing they can so that this car is the BEST in it's class and pleases as many as possible.

- There is NO question the team is WELL AWARE of what the competition has, ......AND they are playing offense.

As for the experience, ...surreal in so many ways. Meeting with old friends is priceless, ... being given exposure to GM's world at Milford, ...and getting to test drive the latest and greatest, ...it's a real life fantasy.
Again, ...in no particlular order:

-we got to drive the convertible. It looks great with the top up, ...and even better with it down ; ). The attention the engineers are giving this is literally amazing. For those of you waiting for the vert, ...rest assured nothing is being compromised.
-One of the most EYE OPENING experiences for me, ...was (believe it or not), ....driving..... a Mustang GT convertible (6sp). The one thing that CLEARLY stood out for me was, ...the suspension seemed so unpredictable. If you drive the Camaro it was just much more balanced.

- the CTSV coupe is an amazing machine, If you just think luxury, ...you are going to be shocked at the power, .....WOW!
- The Grand Sport is awsome, ...it's a vette, you expect performance but this thing really sits you in your seat, ...loved it!

...I know the above doesn't share many details, ...but it was reiterated to us, ...the importance of not giving your gameplan to the competition. Think about it, ...if we were to sit here and ellaborate on the specifics, ...don't think for a second the others wouldn't be taking detailed notes to one up GM. Right now, ...from what we can see, ...that is not, and will not be the case.

In the end, ...I know it's been said before, but, ... KEEP THE FAITH

Kevin

Last edited by KevinK; 08-24-2010 at 06:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:55 PM

The comments about the convertible are interesting. How rough was the surface you were driving the GT on? Most of the reviews of the 2011 GT coupe throw nothing but praise at the handling. The only somewhat negative comment I have seen about Mustang handling has been that the dampers are a little too soft on the V6 w/ sport package leading to a little less confidence on bumpy surfaces. Does the GT convertible have a different suspension package than the coupe GT?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
The comments about the convertible are interesting. How rough was the surface you were driving the GT on? Most of the reviews of the 2011 GT coupe throw nothing but praise at the handling. The only somewhat negative comment I have seen about Mustang handling has been that the dampers are a little too soft on the V6 w/ sport package leading to a little less confidence on bumpy surfaces. Does the GT convertible have a different suspension package than the coupe GT?
This was on a paved surface (GM's "Black Lake")... ...and it's worth noting, ...I am not bashing the Mustang for the sake of it, ..this is an open, honest opinion, ...my experience. At hard take-off (launch), the rear squated considerably, ...also, when braking hard, ...the nose 'dives'. As well, ...when accelerating hard through the gears on a sweeping turn. Ironically, I've actually never driven a Mustang before. This comparison alone was HUGE to me.

Last edited by KevinK; 08-24-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 07:30 PM

The convertible 5.0 is not that good in the handling or body rigidity department. Something Ford definitely needs to work on.

They nailed it on the non-convertibles though.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:35 PM

Not Camaro related...did you happen to see or hear anything about the New C7 Corvette while you were there? Or is that in an underground top secret vault also?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 PM

i find it funny that you think the camaro feels better, because of that statement i question everything else you have said. every other person that has driven the two have a completely different opinion. when you have been defeated admit defeat, otherwise you will never gain anything.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by dangalla
i find it funny that you think the camaro feels better, because of that statement i question everything else you have said. every other person that has driven the two have a completely different opinion. when you have been defeated admit defeat, otherwise you will never gain anything.
First, ...you SHOULD question everything anyone says. Gather the facts, ...and form your own opinion. I'm simply offering what 'my' experience was, you SHOULD question it.
If I wasn't clear in my initial post, ...these were both convertibles. I don't believe the 5th gen vert has been driven by many people.

Your statement about defeat, ...I totally agree. However, in "my opinion" it just doesn't apply here.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

every other person that has driven the two have a completely different opinion.
Who else do you know has driven a 2011 Camaro convertible and a 2011 Mustang convertible back to back?
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Who else do you know has driven a 2011 Camaro convertible and a 2011 Mustang convertible back to back?
no one, but do you actually believe that the mustang got considerably worse going to a convertible and the camaro got considerably better. i have however read a few reviews on the mustang convertible, and not one has said that the mustang seemed "so unpredictable", sure its possible, but the more obvious conclusion is that its just a placebo effect due to fanboy syndrome. which is ok, it happens all the time, everywhere in every hobby. i was just stating that i dont believe it
Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

I do believe that the Camaro got better, I drove the exact same cars he did on the same day, and he is right on the money. Even the person who posted above you mentioned that the Mustang convertible isn't quite up to par.

Sure, you can believe what you want but you are way out of line with the insinuation that being excited for a new Camaro on this site is only a result of a "fanboy placebo" effect. You make it sound like it is impossible for the Camaro improve. If you are expecting people here to not be excited about future Camaro features and improvements, you are on the wrong site entirely.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Disciple

..., but the more obvious conclusion is that its just a placebo effect due to fanboy syndrome.
...thanks for the insight.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:43 PM

I do believe that the Camaro got better, I drove the exact same cars he did on the same day, and he is right on the money. Even the person who posted above you mentioned that the Mustang convertible isn't quite up to par.

Sure, you can believe what you want but you are way out of line with the insinuation that being excited for a new Camaro on this site is only a result of a "fanboy placebo" effect. You make it sound like it is impossible for the Camaro improve. If you are expecting people here to not be excited about future Camaro features and improvements, you are on the wrong site entirely.
Well said. I personally wouldn't buy a 5th gen for reasons that do not need to be rehashed at every possible moment. I am counting on and rooting for GM to continue to improve the Camaro. I think the Mustang being so competitive is a good thing for the Camaro team. The OP states what he personally feels and it is subjective. I actually think the bulk of the 5th gen would make it feel more stable in convertible form, especially since the car is so solid. Don't jump the gun .
Old 08-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Disciple

Heh, heh. Only myself and 14 of my closest Disciple friends!

Oh! You know I had to say it.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:44 AM

Did someone remember to ask them to make the LS wheels an option on all the LT's for me?

-Geoff
Old 08-25-2010, 05:08 AM

no one, but do you actually believe that the mustang got considerably worse going to a convertible and the camaro got considerably better. i have however read a few reviews on the mustang convertible, and not one has said that the mustang seemed "so unpredictable", sure its possible, but the more obvious conclusion is that its just a placebo effect due to fanboy syndrome. which is ok, it happens all the time, everywhere in every hobby. i was just stating that i dont believe it
I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being a "fanboy" or caving into any Camaro "fanboy syndrome", but the fact that they find that the Camaro convertible is pretty solid and the Mustang convertible is a bit skittish is no surprise.

There is something to be said when you take a relatively light chassis and cut off the roof. Body ridgity goes completely out the window.

All praises you have heard about the Mustang GT are regarding the coupe.

I have not driven the Camaro convertible, obviously. However, given that the Camaro has an extremly solid structure (evidenced to a large degree by the weight), one shouldn't be surprised that the Camaro convertible is the more solid ride against the Mustang convertible.

In short, yes... slicing off the roof does entirely change a car's personality... especially if it's a relatively light weight unibody vehicle.

Quick Reply: ...back from Milford, ...my thoughts.