2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Anyone miss the old days?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:56 PM

Re: Anyone miss the old days?

I agree with JRP4UC and Graham on this one. I have always been a car nut and always looked everywhere for the newest car coming out. Now I look for every post from people like Scott and Guy to learn about platforms and other little known stuff. Now my friends as well keep asking me questions about what's upcoming. (rant over) With that said there is so little info out there right now that's fresh about our crown jewel, there's nothing to say.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:42 PM

I think the arguments about the 5.3 were pretty good, but that has kind of died down.

Maybe we can argue about whether the new Camaro will be more fun than a Mustang, Solstice, or GTO.

I'm sure the SS v Z28 "top dog" debate could be rekindled.

There are a lot of questions I still am curious about...

Is it possible to offer SLA in the car at all, or perhaps later in the run? How advanced will the strut be?

Are the higher end Camaros going to get as much "tuning" as the GXP (that is relative to the base)?

Can we expect any 5th Gen Camaro to outrun a C6 around a road track this time around?

What will the base engine be? Which V6? Will it have AFM?

What packages are we likely to see? Can we get some excitement out of the base with a "Pony" like package?

Will there be more than 1 wheel size per year?

What will we get for the 6th Gen?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
I think the arguments about the 5.3 were pretty good, but that has kind of died down.

Maybe we can argue about whether the new Camaro will be more fun than a Mustang, Solstice, or GTO.

I'm sure the SS v Z28 "top dog" debate could be rekindled.

There are a lot of questions I still am curious about...

Is it possible to offer SLA in the car at all, or perhaps later in the run? How advanced will the strut be?

Are the higher end Camaros going to get as much "tuning" as the GXP (that is relative to the base)?

Can we expect any 5th Gen Camaro to outrun a C6 around a road track this time around?

What will the base engine be? Which V6? Will it have AFM?

What packages are we likely to see? Can we get some excitement out of the base with a "Pony" like package?

Will there be more than 1 wheel size per year?

What will we get for the 6th Gen?
The struts will be a cut above the struts we've seen from GM so far. They'll be "multi-link" struts, similar in philosophy to BMW's double pivot struts. We'll see how well they'll work, I've got my fingers crossed.

And I sure will be disappointed if we don't get a Camaro model which even transcends the GP GXP's level of focus. And what I'm talking about here, is a revived 'real' Z/28. It won't be for the faint of heart. But I also expect - since no Firebird - various other Camaro models....including an SS and others.

As far as wheel sizes.......think large. Those 4th gen 16" and 17" inch wheels will look very quaint in comparison.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:12 PM

I guess thats one good way to look at it. Maybe with no Firebird to take development dollars, we can get a few more special edition Camaro's.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by smackkk
I guess thats one good way to look at it. Maybe with no Firebird to take development dollars, we can get a few more special edition Camaro's.
Maybe not so much 'special editions', more like a full line up.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:51 PM

There is no way to prove that Firebird took development dollars from the Camaro...

Regarding the wheels, I don't doubt we will see bigger ones, but the issue on the 4th was really that there wasn't much variety.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
The struts will be a cut above the struts we've seen from GM so far. They'll be "multi-link" struts, similar in philosophy to BMW's double pivot struts. We'll see how well they'll work, I've got my fingers crossed.

And I sure will be disappointed if we don't get a Camaro model which even transcends the GP GXP's level of focus. And what I'm talking about here, is a revived 'real' Z/28.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever

And I sure will be disappointed if we don't get a Camaro model which even transcends the GP GXP's level of focus. And what I'm talking about here, is a revived 'real' Z/28. It won't be for the faint of heart. But I also expect - since no Firebird - various other Camaro models....including an SS and others.

As far as wheel sizes.......think large. Those 4th gen 16" and 17" inch wheels will look very quaint in comparison.
Good info. Nothing we have read before on here, but it is good to see it restated.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:18 PM

There is no way to prove that Firebird took development dollars from the Camaro...

Jason.... we really need to get that "Bang your head on a brick wall" icon option up!
Old 03-24-2006, 11:36 AM

I agree. You can sit around all day and say that the majority of the Fbody budget went to the Firebird. But how do you leap to the conclusion that without the Firebird the Camaro would have gotten the same budget? It seems like it was decided how little money they wanted to spend on the Camaro. Otherwise they would have spent more.

We might as well start talking about how every other vehicle at GM took Camaro dollars.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:58 AM

Clarification:

1. Fbody program assigned budget Z
2. Camaro had X dollars spent on it
3. Firebird had Y dollars spent on it
4. X + Y = Z
5. X < Y
6. Therefore, Firebird stole money from Camaro

The conclusion 6 does not logically follow for the 5 premises no matter how much it is posted. Firebird had more money spent on it is all you can say. Now I would have long ago conceded the point if someone would demonstrate that either: Chevrolet and Pontiac both argued about how much each car should get and somehow when it was decided Pontiac won out; or that if there was no Firebird, Camaro would have got a budget larger than X.

It seems unlikely that Pontiac would get to have its way with the Fcars since Chevrolet has a history of always getting its way

The second what if scenario would only be speculation anyway.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

1. Fbody program assigned budget Z
2. Camaro had X dollars spent on it
3. Firebird had Y dollars spent on it
4. X + Y = Z
5. X < Y
6. Therefore, Firebird stole money from Camaro
Do we even know for sure that #1 was true?

It could have worked like this:
1. Camaro program assigned budget X
2. Firebird program assigned budget Y
3. Camaro had X dollars spent on it
4. Firebird had Y dollars spent on it
5. Conclusion: X and Y have nothing to do with each other
Old 03-24-2006, 01:31 PM

Either way it’s obvious the Firebird had more money spent on it and made less money back for GM.....

I don’t know how you can argue that…
Old 03-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Forgive me, I'm a little new around here -- what evidence is there that Firebird had more money spent on it?
Old 03-24-2006, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Forgive me, I'm a little new around here -- what evidence is there that Firebird had more money spent on it?
Scott Settlemire said so.

Quick Reply: Anyone miss the old days?