2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9/5/07: I predict Z28 will be the top model

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by wildpaws
Shoot, I had a new '67 RS Camaro with a 327 2v 210 HP and three speed trans, certainly not a high performance or "musclecar" package.
Clyde
Even worse, mine has the same package with the powerglide 2-speed automatic.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:27 PM

I had a 69 Chevelle 307 with a 'glide. It was hot (as in, always overheating....lol)!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Z28 and SS could not be combined.
Except in '96.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Except in '96.
True.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Lets hear it for that remarkable 4th Gen marketing strategy!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Lets hear it for that remarkable 4th Gen marketing strategy!
HAAHAHAHAHAH! Good one!
Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by BlacLac02
i could swear they had a z28ss camaro in the lt1 body style.
negative

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
NEVER!

There has never been an SS/Z28 and there shouldn't be! (sorry, I feel pretty strongly about this....)

At one point early in the 1996 SS program, SLP made up some shirts and hats that said "Z28/SS" -- and we asked them to stop. (and yes, I still have a couple of things that have that moniker on it......)

Two different animals -- one great car line.

(and before anyone else chimes in -- yes, SSs in the 4th gen started out as Z28s...but the SS overrode the Z28 moniker.......)
Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 PM

i could swear they had a z28ss camaro in the lt1 body style.
Technically you're correct.

The 1996 SS was an upgrade to the Z/28 according to the window sticker, and in fact GM sent Z/28s to SLP for the "upgrades" to make it an SS. However, they were still called "SS" and not Z/28.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Technically you're correct.

The 1996 SS was an upgrade to the Z/28 according to the window sticker, and in fact GM sent Z/28s to SLP for the "upgrades" to make it an SS. However, they were still called "SS" and not Z/28.
Yes, they were badged only with "SS" but GM actually referred to the '96s as "Z28 SS" cars.

Kind of the point behind my earlier joke.

Supporting evidence

I'd scan my sales brochure to better support my claim but I threw it out in our last move.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:40 PM

thats the point i was making was that it did exist. thank you for everyone who supports my statement.
"yeah if the z28 is the top dog the 6.2 n/a will not be the motor. maybe they will do like they did in the 1st gen amd have a rs model as the v6, the z28 as the 6.2 and the z28ss as the big boy motor. or somehow put together the rs/ss like the 69 had."
2009 Chevrolet Camaro SS Black/Black/Black

I don't think anything that anybody has said "supports your statement". You clearly referred to the first gen. and 1969 in particular, a Z28/SS absolutely did not happen in the first gen. Camaros. And what little contradictory evidence that has been given for a Z28/SS in 1996 still leaves in doubt whether it did or did not exist, but that is not what you were referring to in your original post.
Clyde
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 AM

i have to quick comments. 1- the 96 "SS" has a z28/SS, the outer badging only said SS however the ram air box, interior dash badge and floor mats were all labeled Z28/SS.......2- i'm really looking foward to getting a new camaro but the SS name means alot to me and if the Z28 is above it in the line up it would probabily stop me from buying the car all together
Old 09-12-2007, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by rahusband
2- i'm really looking foward to getting a new camaro but the SS name means alot to me and if the Z28 is above it in the line up it would probabily stop me from buying the car all together
So a badge on the car means more to you than the car itself?

I'll never understand that kind of warped logic.

I'm worried about the car being too fat.
I'm worried about it being too big.
I'm worried about being able to option it the way I want and having it perform the way I desire.

While I'd really, really, REALLY like to see a "proper" Z28 model offered, ultimately I just want a good car that satisfies my wants. If that Z28 in my head happens to be badged as an SS (not that I think this will happen), so be it.

Why the hell would a badge prevent anybody (except maybe posers) from buying any car?
Old 09-12-2007, 01:52 PM

Becuase although i love the camaro in any form, it's looked apon as a redneck or lower class type of vehicle, at least in my area, thats why all the rich girls got convertable mustangs for graduation instead of camaro's. U drive a camaro that means you live in a trailor park and have a mullet (not that there is anything wrong with either, i've experienced both). But in my mind anyway the SS isn't a SS camaro it's it's own catagory. Any chevy merchandise that i own says SS not camaro on it. To me anyway the Z28 is inferior, i want something different, something special. My 97 SS is one of like 2 or 3 within probabily fifty miles of me compared to hundreds of fourth generation Z's. I'll be pi**ed off enough if chevy downgrages the SS name and i certainly wouldn't buy one. Hey call me a poser if you want but i call it personal style. I really enjoy saying i drive an SS. No harm or offense was meant to any Z28 drivers.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 PM

Well, as you stated, that is all in your mind. Sorry to disappoint you bud, but most people in my experience still see an SS Camaro as a Camaro, for better or for worse.

Since when is a Mustang not a redneck car either? Better not tell that to some of the rednecks around here.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
So a badge on the car means more to you than the car itself?

I'll never understand that kind of warped logic.

I'm worried about the car being too fat.
I'm worried about it being too big.
I'm worried about being able to option it the way I want and having it perform the way I desire.

While I'd really, really, REALLY like to see a "proper" Z28 model offered, ultimately I just want a good car that satisfies my wants. If that Z28 in my head happens to be badged as an SS (not that I think this will happen), so be it.

Why the hell would a badge prevent anybody (except maybe posers) from buying any car?
Chewy my man, we're about to disagree, and I'll tell you why...

To me, the name Z/28 personifies all that is seriously badass about a Camaro. It's an image. It's a lineage born in the crucible of road racing.
To me it's the embodiment of a strictly business suspension. Uncompromising brakes. Intuitive steering. Lusty smallblock. Perfectly spaced gears controlled by a perfect clutch and precise shifter - all in a no-nonsense, (hey, you lookin' at me punk?!) wrapper.

To name such a car anything else than Z/28 would be mindnumbingly stupid. To think that Chevy would build us a "proper" Z/28 - and then call it SS, would be so beyond retarded, I wouldn't even have words to describe it.

It would be like a young man joining the United States Marine Corps, and then finding out that his branch of service has been renamed Girl Scouts of America.

The name matters.

Quick Reply: 9/5/07: I predict Z28 will be the top model