2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Gen 4cyl???

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 11:53 AM

Re: 5th Gen 4cyl???

Originally Posted by eagleknight97
Not sure how much this has been talked about, but how do you think the Camaro would sell/be looked upon if its base engine was the 2.0L Turbo from the Solstice GXP? It fits perfectly in the spot where the V6 would go, 260hp and 260 lb/ft. Personally, im not advocating this, but it seems like it would give the base car a very different flavor than the base Mustang. Im just curious as to what the fuel economy would be with it hauling around 3600lbs or more of Camaro heft compared to 3100lbs or so of GXP heft
Can't have an engine like that as base, and it's the wrong engine for a Camaro.

Beyond the price factor that's already mentioned, the purpose of a turbo is to produce more power in a smaller engine. There is no real advantage in fuel economy. This is great for a small lightweight Solstice where space and weight is at a premium, but miscast in a vehicle as large as a Camaro.

Ford had a turbo-4 in a Thunderbird in the 80s, and even it was a little miscast. Despite that this Thunderbird was far narrower and quite a bit lighter than the new Camaro will likely be.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:14 PM

dont forget the svo stangs....
Old 03-17-2006, 11:08 AM

Are you guys sure GM won't put a rotary motor in the new Camaro? I think this is something GM should seriously consider......
Old 03-17-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC
Are you guys sure GM won't put a rotary motor in the new Camaro? I think this is something GM should seriously consider......

You mean like the many Rotary Corvette Concepts that failed through the late 60s all the way to the early 80s?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

There is no way they'll market a base Camaro that needs premium fuel.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Can't have an engine like that as base, and it's the wrong engine for a Camaro.

Beyond the price factor that's already mentioned, the purpose of a turbo is to produce more power in a smaller engine. There is no real advantage in fuel economy. This is great for a small lightweight Solstice where space and weight is at a premium, but miscast in a vehicle as large as a Camaro.

Ford had a turbo-4 in a Thunderbird in the 80s, and even it was a little miscast. Despite that this Thunderbird was far narrower and quite a bit lighter than the new Camaro will likely be.

Why not cast it against the 4cyl turbo mustang? It handled better then the GT but cost more.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:01 AM

UMM have any of you just thought about what it would be like to hear a camaro with a fart can on it?
Old 03-18-2006, 03:43 PM

Nooooooooooo. Can just imagine all the ricers talking about how they blew away a Camaro 4cyl. Cylinder deactivation is about as close at they get to 4cyl. Want an econobox? Go buy an Optima.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dwarf Killer
Nooooooooooo. Can just imagine all the ricers talking about how they blew away a Camaro 4cyl. Cylinder deactivation is about as close at they get to 4cyl. Want an econobox? Go buy an Optima.
The turbo four would perform close to if not better than the current V6's in stock form, and would likely be quite a bit quicker with a little money in mods.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
The turbo four would perform close to if not better than the current V6's in stock form, and would likely be quite a bit quicker with a little money in mods.
Do I need to say this again? There is no way that the engine they choose for the base Camaro will require premium fuel.

Maybe I have to connect the dots for you? The turbo four you're recommending requires premium fuel, as do all the other turbo fours that make enough horsepower to be a viable option for GM to choose as the base Camaro engine.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:13 PM

Exactly.
Old 03-18-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Do I need to say this again? There is no way that the engine they choose for the base Camaro will require premium fuel.

Maybe I have to connect the dots for you? The turbo four you're recommending requires premium fuel, as do all the other turbo fours that make enough horsepower to be a viable option for GM to choose as the base Camaro engine.
Let me connect the dots for you.

03-16-2006 11:48 AM
A turbo 4 would definitely be interesting. I would probably rather have one than a V6, but I'm not sure it would be the best way for GM to go.
I'm sorry that was too subtle. I do not think the turbo Ecotec should be the base motor.

Originally Posted by Dwarf Killer
There is a marked difference between a turbo four and a naturally aspirated one. This difference was pointed out in my next post:

All of which is likely to be true. And yet there is still no endorsement by me for the turbo Ecotec as the base motor.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:46 PM

Looking for a 4 banger, go buy a Cobalt.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:26 PM

What about a rotary?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:16 PM

A turbo 4 would make a lot of sense for those who want a very light front end (AutoX, poss road racers, drifters??). But, as interesting an engineering exercise as that would be, ain't gonna happen.

As a note to all those fart cannon comments, set it up so it sounds more like the SRT-4 motor, those tend to be deeper sounding with a lot of off throttle burbling.

Quick Reply: 5th Gen 4cyl???