2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

500HP z28

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:43 AM

Thumbs up 500HP z28

I heard that next year they might have a 500HP z28,has anyone heard about this?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:07 PM

"heard" from who or where?
Old 11-30-2008, 12:29 PM

I am pretty sure it was from a Road and Track article. It stated that after the first year launch chevy will introduce a 6.2 litre supercharged Z-28 with H.P. in the range of 480-500. If this is true I will sell my first born to get one.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:37 PM

Its been speculated for a loooooong time. I say mostly it depends on how GM does.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:50 PM

If GM can pull through their crisis I am 100% sure we will see a Z28. I am also pretty sure we will see it share the supercharged engine from the CTS-V because that engine makes sense and the development is done. They have done a supstantial amount of suspension development with the G8 GXP and CTS-V that could potentially be used in a Z28. Since all of that work has been paid for I think the actual development costs of a Z28 may be less than we might otherwise expect. I would also guess that they will have the Z28 at a lower production target which will make the car more rare than Z28's of the past. I suspect that CAFE will force them to limit a production of a car like this.

The rumors are simply best guesses as to what GM will do should it survive. I watch the industry closely and read a lot of industry stuff. I can tell you that GM is in a horrific financial bind and we will have to see more cuts for them to survive. Get ready to see some brands like Pontiac go bye bye much to my dismay.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:38 PM

GM's immediate survival is in the hands of politicians with a large "anti-Detroit" belief, coupled with a vast, green agenda. IF GM gets a loan from Congress, and IF the buying public has confidence in them (two very BIG IFs), they would be foolish to announce a Z/28 anytime soon......the backlash would lose them whatever little sympathy people have for them. Be glad if we get a Camaro at all, nevermind a Z/28.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
GM's immediate survival is in the hands of politicians with a large "anti-Detroit" belief, coupled with a vast, green agenda. IF GM gets a loan from Congress, and IF the buying public has confidence in them (two very BIG IFs), they would be foolish to announce a Z/28 anytime soon......the backlash would lose them whatever little sympathy people have for them. Be glad if we get a Camaro at all, nevermind a Z/28.
they are not anti-detroit. the government isn't in the business to bail out every single company that is failing, especially every single one with out a clear plan to straighten out its finances.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:54 PM

another z-28 speculation thread...sigh. patience is a virtue. also, quick search.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
If GM can pull through their crisis I am 100% sure we will see a Z28. I am also pretty sure we will see it share the supercharged engine from the CTS-V because that engine makes sense and the development is done. They have done a supstantial amount of suspension development with the G8 GXP and CTS-V that could potentially be used in a Z28. Since all of that work has been paid for I think the actual development costs of a Z28 may be less than we might otherwise expect. I would also guess that they will have the Z28 at a lower production target which will make the car more rare than Z28's of the past. I suspect that CAFE will force them to limit a production of a car like this.

The rumors are simply best guesses as to what GM will do should it survive. I watch the industry closely and read a lot of industry stuff. I can tell you that GM is in a horrific financial bind and we will have to see more cuts for them to survive. Get ready to see some brands like Pontiac go bye bye much to my dismay.

I don't think that GM should focus too much on the Z28, even though I am sure it would be an amazing car! They need to focus right now on getting themseleves healthy for the long haul, then in time can later address the Z28. As far as Pontiac, or any other brand going away, I think it will definitely strengthen GM as a company and cut tons of reduntant costs. Even though it would be sad to see Pontiac go, it is in GM's best interest to cuts huge costs.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by SSPORT10
I don't think that GM should focus too much on the Z28, even though I am sure it would be an amazing car! They need to focus right now on getting themseleves healthy for the long haul, then in time can later address the Z28. As far as Pontiac, or any other brand going away, I think it will definitely strengthen GM as a company and cut tons of reduntant costs. Even though it would be sad to see Pontiac go, it is in GM's best interest to cuts huge costs.
I agree that GM's focus should not be on the Z28. In fact I would guess that there is no one currently working on this project. They clearly need to deal with the crazy UAW contract. A UAW worker is compensated at a rate of $72 per hour (including benefits) a comparable worker for Toyota and Honda make $40 per hour. When you add the cost of retirees GM has a huge hole to dig out of. When they sold a ton of SUV's and pickups they had the profit margin to support these costs but those days are gone so GM needs to renegotiate. I am actually in favor of GM filing for bankrupcy protection so they can void the contract with UAW. The bailout that is proposed will only add constraints to the GM business model that congress thinks they should do like all of the green stuff. The fact is GM needs to let the market lead their products and if green sells they will do it anyway. Congress cannot run a post office or AmTrack worth a damn so I don't see them being involved with GM as a good thing for anyone.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pruettfan
I think you're right -- and it makes perfect sense to keep the Z28 off the radar while they introduce the CTS-V, especially because the CTS is coming in coupe form too.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 AM

Here we go again!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shellhead
It was the conservatives that derailed the loan proposals, not treehugging folks with a green agenda.

Plan fell apart when it became clear that Republicans (almost without a single dissent) came out against the loans. First because theye are against the idea of bailouts and buy into the strict freemarket principles. Then, the loans didn't even get a complete hearing because no one seemed to have a clear plan to actually return to profitability.

Chrysler only a month before was saying if they didn't merge with GM, they wouldn't last much longer. Republicans rightfully viewed any loan to them as throwing money into a pit.

GM indicated they wre going to use the money to keep the lights on, without telling anything about how they were going to become profitable again... something that hasn't happened in at least 5 years.

Then there was Ford. Ford wasn't even there for money. Theye were there to get a line of credit and to back up GM because if GM fell, so would the suppliers and OEMs that both depend on.

Then these guys had the nerve to show up in corperate jets to beg for money because they were broke. Not good.

Going back to the Z28, it's on hold right now. GM needs money for higher priority items... like utilities apparently. As far as I can tell, the model we know as Z28 is pretty much set. Just needs final development.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by rex113
I am pretty sure it was from a Road and Track article. It stated that after the first year launch chevy will introduce a 6.2 litre supercharged Z-28 with H.P. in the range of 480-500. If this is true I will sell my first born to get one.
You believe an article in Road and Track? I doubt GM is going to spend money that they don't have to make a limited production car at current profit margins so that the dealers can sell them at $25,000 over MSRP (like Ford did with the GT500). Now that I think of it....they're already doing that with the ZR1. So why would they want to take the heat from the feds with a Z28 and have two cars like that in the Chevrolet line? The "California delegation" is already getting ready to force GM to go green as we sit here (watch CNBC for the next few days). A factory Z28 type vehicle is probably beyond consideration until GM returns to profitability and pays off its debt to the feds and the stockholders, and gets the California delegation off its back. Meanwhile...the feds will be indirectly dictating what GM builds so don't hold your breath for a Z28.

The aftermarket will fill the gap without regulation in the meanwhile and are probably already working on a deal for that behind the scenes. An aftermarket company can doing $15,000 worth of performance upgrades and sell them via a dealer network for an easy $10,000 profit plus $3,000 for the dealer (without paying a gas guzzler or emissions penalty). Rouch, Shelby, or whoever will step in an fill the gap as they have for the Mustang in the meanwhile as the market dictates.

Heck...for the money a CTS-V is the most bang for your buck right now. I'd do it if I had the money for the price difference. I just hope I don't regret not doing it later.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by detroitboy
You believe an article in Road and Track? I doubt GM is going to spend money that they don't have to make a limited production car at current profit margins so that the dealers can sell them at $25,000 over MSRP (like Ford did with the GT500). Now that I think of it....they're already doing that with the ZR1. So why would they want to take the heat from the feds with a Z28 and have two cars like that in the Chevrolet line? The "California delegation" is already getting ready to force GM to go green as we sit here (watch CNBC for the next few days). A factory Z28 type vehicle is probably beyond consideration until GM returns to profitability and pays off its debt to the feds and the stockholders, and gets the California delegation off its back. Meanwhile...the feds will be indirectly dictating what GM builds so don't hold your breath for a Z28.

The aftermarket will fill the gap without regulation in the meanwhile and are probably already working on a deal for that behind the scenes. An aftermarket company can doing $15,000 worth of performance upgrades and sell them via a dealer network for an easy $10,000 profit plus $3,000 for the dealer (without paying a gas guzzler or emissions penalty). Rouch, Shelby, or whoever will step in an fill the gap as they have for the Mustang in the meanwhile as the market dictates.

Heck...for the money a CTS-V is the most bang for your buck right now. I'd do it if I had the money for the price difference. I just hope I don't regret not doing it later.
Detroitboy, I don't beleive everything I read, just wishfull thinking. Are skinny kids really easier to kidnap?

Quick Reply: 500HP z28