2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 DEXOS motor oil requirement - GM Vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 07:39 AM

Re: 2011 DEXOS motor oil requirement - GM Vehicles

I'm not buying any of this crap. So tell me how a "non certified" engine oil is going to damage your engine? Hell, for that matter tell me how a conventional oil that is changed every 3000 miles is going to damage your engine? They are only doing this for two reasons, 1) to get more money from you at the dealership and, 2) to have another excuse to not warranty your car in the event of something going wrong. The more and more they pull this kind of crap the less I think about buying a new car.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 AM

Just another way to get more money out of your pocket. Funny how they could warranty an engine for 100k on the "old stuff" and now you need this new stuff for the same exact engine. I always used Mobil 1 Synthetic anyway since I have a turbo and direct injection.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:30 AM

I'm guessing, b/c the newer engines are built to tighter tolerances & rely on higher volume of oil flow in order to function properly, they require an oil w/ more or better detergents, higher viscosity & such. Most people on this board change their oil on a regular basis. Your avg. dummy car owner may not. If GM is going to warrant an engine for 100K miles, they probably want a bit more insurance that there won't be a problem due to an oil related failure.

Last edited by km9v; 11-08-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty
Chevron, Valvoline, & Castrol say they have no plans to get "Certified"
It says on the GM web page that Mobil 1, Quaker State, and Penzoil are getting it on at least some of their grades. The ones that don't have nothing to complain about if it hurts their sales.

-Geoff
Old 11-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by km9v
I'm guessing, b/c the newer engines are built to tighter tolerances & rely on higher volume of oil flow in order to function properly, they require an oil w/ more or better detergents, higher viscosity & such. Most people on this board change their oil on a regular basis. Your avg. dummy car owner may not. If GM is going to warrant an engine for 100K miles, they probably want a bit more insurance that there won't be a problem due to an oil related failure.
Pretty much. Oil is not just some fluid that comes out of the ground. The additives and detergents make a substantial difference in the performance out of the bottle and over time, as well as the base stock hydrocarbons. There is a whole lot of chemical engineering involved in creating the stuff that is on the shelf. The thread on BobIsTheOilGuy is a decent read if you want to dive into it. The GM spec is really an upgrade to GF5 with improvements in wear protection. It also essentially means that all GM motors will need "synthetic" motor oil from this model year onward. I don't doubt that this is in any small part to the oil life monitoring system, which for most of the old cars like my Firebird were setup for conventional spec oil at the time... 2011 and on will be set for the new spec. DI engines also require less volatility and proliferation of that technology requires revised specs.

I've been running Pennzoil Platinum for the most part anyway and that already has met the spec. Not that my LS6 really requires that specification, but it isn't like GM is requiring oil makers to invent new oil, or GM is getting into the oil business and only selling their own oils.

It also isn't like GM is really the first to do this... Toyota and Honda have their own specs for 0W-20. If you are seriously offended then keep your old engine and don't buy any new cars.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Note to self: keep using the same oil you've been using on every car you've owned in the last decade.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:06 AM

WARNING: DRUNK POST

I Find it fun that they've pretty much stolen the intel logo for their DEXOS 2 motor oil.

granted you can take my drunkenness as either a. he's a drunk and a fool or 2. from the mouth of babes.

Last edited by TemplarKnight; 11-09-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:16 AM

wow....
Old 11-09-2010, 06:19 PM

http://motoroilbible.com/blog/genera...otor-oil-spec/

Magnuson Moss
As it turns out, there are some who are crying foul and are referring to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act as justification for barring GM from even having the option of introducing “dexos 1″. They contend that this would be a violation of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act which states that, if an OEM requires a particular product to be used in order to maintain a warranty, the product must be provided for free (unless the company is able to PROVE the necessity of using this product for proper operation).

Although I’m certainly not a lawyer, I’m not entirely convinced that this would apply. GM is not requiring the use of a particular brand of product, but only an oil that meets their specification. Generally, the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is designed to protect consumers from OEMs that might try to void a warranty or deny a warranty claim unjustifiably based on the customer’s use of the “wrong product” to maintain their vehicle (or other product). It’s also designed to keep OEMs from bilking customers by requiring them to purchase a “house brand” product in order to maintain their warranty, thereby forcing the customer to purchase what is often an overpriced and generally useless product when there is no justifiable reason for doing so.

Again, I’m not sure this scenario falls under the auspices of the Magnuson Moss Act. But, the lube industry has the clout and the money to place leverage against the introduction of “dexos 1″. Only time will tell if they have ENOUGH clout to get their way. Introduction of the new GM spec is scheduled to coincide, almost exactly, with the introduction of the new ILSAC GF-5 requirements. So, we’ll see how this all plays out. Stay tuned …
Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroScotty

http://motoroilbible.com/blog/genera...otor-oil-spec/

Magnuson Moss
As it turns out, there are some who are crying foul and are referring to the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act as justification for barring GM from even having the option of introducing “dexos 1″. They contend that this would be a violation of the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act which states that, if an OEM requires a particular product to be used in order to maintain a warranty, the product must be provided for free (unless the company is able to PROVE the necessity of using this product for proper operation).

Although I’m certainly not a lawyer, I’m not entirely convinced that this would apply. GM is not requiring the use of a particular brand of product, but only an oil that meets their specification. Generally, the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act is designed to protect consumers from OEMs that might try to void a warranty or deny a warranty claim unjustifiably based on the customer’s use of the “wrong product” to maintain their vehicle (or other product). It’s also designed to keep OEMs from bilking customers by requiring them to purchase a “house brand” product in order to maintain their warranty, thereby forcing the customer to purchase what is often an overpriced and generally useless product when there is no justifiable reason for doing so.

Again, I’m not sure this scenario falls under the auspices of the Magnuson Moss Act. But, the lube industry has the clout and the money to place leverage against the introduction of “dexos 1″. Only time will tell if they have ENOUGH clout to get their way. Introduction of the new GM spec is scheduled to coincide, almost exactly, with the introduction of the new ILSAC GF-5 requirements. So, we’ll see how this all plays out. Stay tuned …
If GM had introduced a brand new engine with outrageous requirements then maybe possibly I could see this being legit but when they have been using oils meeting current standards for their motors for years and now claiming these same engines now require a higher level of oil standards to meet warranty then I call BS.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:34 AM

I am based in England, and I bought a new Camaro Z28 in 1999 from GM over here - it had the same engine & oil as the US versions, and my oil change interval was 10,000, while the US was 3,000 - no one was ever able to explain why there was a difference... but it looks like the new Camaro will be about £50,000 over here, which is about $75,000 so I certainly won't be getting one - that is more than double that I paid for 11 years ago....
Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 AM

Its not going to be that much. Maybe with mark-ups. Probably more like £35,000.

The early oil change intervals here just gets people into shops earlier. It isn't necessary here either. With oil change monitors in cars now intervals are more like 7k-10k miles.

What any of this has to do with DEXOS, I don't know.

Why a thread based on all GM vehicles is still in the 5th gen section, I still don't know.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 AM

I have a 2009 HHR SS that's factory recommended 10k mile oil changes using Mobil 1 synthetic. I haven't looked to see what oil is used in all new Chevy models, but it seems everything is recommended for 5k or 6k miles now, if not 10k.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Goody350
I have a 2009 HHR SS that's factory recommended 10k mile oil changes using Mobil 1 synthetic. I haven't looked to see what oil is used in all new Chevy models, but it seems everything is recommended for 5k or 6k miles now, if not 10k.
Well it is rated 10k on the oil spec that they print in the manual. You might want to consider Pennzoil Platinum though because it has a little bit better additive package than Mobile 1.

With better engine manufacturing and solid PCV setups, oil can last a good deal more miles than in the past. Not to mention oil chemistry and additive packages that are much better than 20yr ago.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 PM

My 2010 Camaro came with 5w-30 Synthetic Mobil-1 oil on June 9th 2009, I changed it at 1000 miles and replaced the oil with 5w-30 Synthetic Mobil-1 oil, I then replaced it at 5000 miles with 5w-30 Synthetic Mobil-1 oil...and whenever I get to 10000 miles I'll be putting 5w-30 Synthetic Mobil-1 oil in it again.

Quick Reply: 2011 DEXOS motor oil requirement - GM Vehicles