2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

2010 Camaro V6 vs 09 Solstice Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:18 AM

2010 Camaro V6 vs 09 Solstice Coupe

ok, its been really slow lately so i was looking at news on other upcoming cars

I have seen you guys compare the V6 Camaro to the Mustang GT and Challenger, and to an extent GM's own G8 GT, but did we forget another car to compare the Camaro V6 to? Gm's own 2009 Solstice coupe GXP. I have read, and i cant recall where, that this Solstice, which will be in dealers in January of 09, will have an output of 300+ hp coming from its turbocharged DI FOUR BANGER!!!!!!

Correct me if im wrong but does not the current Solstice GXP have about 280hp and do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds? I really can not imagine what a 300+ GXP can do, but i can say it will shame the V6 Camaro due to the HP and weight. NOW do not bring in the SS! this battle is strictly between the GXP (4 banger) and the V6 Camaro.

Basically this has awaken my interest in the Solstice Coupe. Its a sexy car, it has a targa top, its fast, its RWD and the fuel economy coming from its I4 will equall or beats camaro's, not to mention speed and perhaps price. I was looking to get a LT RS V6 Camaro, but the solstice might beat it in every aspect even in price.

Sooo, what do you guys think, would this not be a great car to own if the 300+ four banger makes it into the GXP coupe? Any input is appreciated.

One more thing, why would GM not make a turbo V6 and include it in the Camaro in order to make it better than the solstice and event Chevy's own Cobalt, and now that this 300+ engine four banger might be a reality can we see it in a camaro-maybe next year?
Old 08-16-2008, 10:45 AM

I agree that the Solstice(all models) are awesome looking cars, but they are very
impractical for most people. The Camaro wins on that in every way. If you have no
use for a trunk, backseat and two seats fits your bill, then by all means the Solstice
is a good choice. I think both cars are hot and the Coupe Solstice coming to the lineup
is a very nice addition.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:03 AM

The current Solstice GXP is 260 HP. Everything I have seen says the new coupe will be identical to the current car except for the roof. The base price for the 08 GXP is about $29000. Hopefully the V6 camaro will be a good bit lower than that.
Old 08-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ELMATONSS

I have seen you guys compare the V6 Camaro to the Mustang GT and Challenger, and to an extent GM's own G8 GT, but did we forget another car to compare the Camaro V6 to? Gm's own 2009 Solstice coupe GXP. I have read, and i cant recall where, that this Solstice, which will be in dealers in January of 09, will have an output of 300+ hp coming from its turbocharged DI FOUR BANGER!!!!!!

Correct me if im wrong but does not the current Solstice GXP have about 280hp and do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds? I really can not imagine what a 300+ GXP can do, but i can say it will shame the V6 Camaro due to the HP and weight. NOW do not bring in the SS! this battle is strictly between the GXP (4 banger) and the V6 Camaro.

Basically this has awaken my interest in the Solstice Coupe. Its a sexy car, it has a targa top, its fast, its RWD and the fuel economy coming from its I4 will equall or beats camaro's, not to mention speed and perhaps price. I was looking to get a LT RS V6 Camaro, but the solstice might beat it in every aspect even in price.

Sooo, what do you guys think, would this not be a great car to own if the 300+ four banger makes it into the GXP coupe? Any input is appreciated.

One more thing, why would GM not make a turbo V6 and include it in the Camaro in order to make it better than the solstice and event Chevy's own Cobalt, and now that this 300+ engine four banger might be a reality can we see it in a camaro-maybe next year?
I concur 100% My next car will be a Solstice Coupe GXP. I have maintained from the start that IMO the upcoming Solstice Coupe is closer to what the next gen F-Body should have been than what has been made.

The Sol Coupe looks great, is a tidy overall size, weighs 3000 lbs, handles well (SCCA national Champion) and in GXP versions make ~270 hp (or 300 if the DI rumours are true). Regardless, if you want more power, the Turbo Ecotec engine has shown the potential to make gobs of power with relatively few mods.

To me, the only thing missing that would have made it a true F-body is the rear seats (which I would have taken out regardless).

Being a Pontiac guy to begin with, I'm still disappointed that there is no next gen Firebird. The Sol Coupe GXP is the closest thing to having one IMO
Old 08-16-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 8Banger
I agree that the Solstice(all models) are awesome looking cars, but they are very
impractical for most people. The Camaro wins on that in every way. If you have no
use for a trunk, backseat and two seats fits your bill, then by all means the Solstice
is a good choice. I think both cars are hot and the Coupe Solstice coming to the lineup
is a very nice addition.
Agreed. I owned the 111th production Solstice built. It was a nice car with beautiful lines but it didn't live up to it's billing IMO. Handled wonderfully, but it was seriously underpowered. Plus the car was just tiny. I preordered the car well before they were available for test drive. I don't really think this car has any comparison to the new Camaro.

Originally Posted by Raven99
Being a Pontiac guy to begin with, I'm still disappointed that there is no next gen Firebird. The Sol Coupe GXP is the closest thing to having one IMO
I think you'd be better off buying a camaro and modifying it to be like a Firebird then you would be with a Solstice GXP.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

The current Solstice GXP has 260hp.

I think they look awesome, but I can't stand the exhaust note. It's simply awful.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The current Solstice GXP has 260hp.

I think they look awesome, but I can't stand the exhaust note. It's simply awful.
I agree about the exhaust note even with aftermarket exhausts and turbo upgrades, Soltices do not sound very good. That is the one really negative thing about them IMO. You just can't beat the sound of a V8
Old 08-16-2008, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ELMATONSS

Your post is so wrong on so many levels.

1. Solstice is a 2 passenger sports car. Camaro is a 4 passenger sports coupe. While both may be on the short list of new car buyers, the deciding point on whether or not the Solstice makes the short list is if the person needs a back seat or not.

2. You are taking a a GXP G8, the top of the line $35K high performance sedan and saying it will shame a V6 $22-25K Camaro as if ever Camaro that rolls off the assembly line should match F16s for acceleration.

3. You are also taking a top level GXP Solstice and using it as a yardstick against a base Camaro. A Cobalt SS costs about as much as a modestly optioned Camaro V6. So does a Mini S. All probably come very close to the V6 Camaro in acceleration too. But we're comparing apples to guacamole here.

4. What is the purpose of having a turbo V6 in the Camaro and a 6.2 liter V8? Both would make the same amount of power and it would be pretty silly to spend the money (and money is scarce at GM right now) on an overlapping engine that has limited appeal unless they are going to replace the Camaro's V8 engine outright.

I can see comparing the Camaro to Challenger. I can even see comparing the Camaro to a Solara or Accord coupe. Similar size, back seats, 2 doors, and outside of enthusiasts you can see potential buyers of these cars sticking their nose in a Chevy dealer to take a sniff of the Camaro as well.

But as far as a Solstice GXP versus a V6 Camaro, if I can go without a back seat, need fuel economy, have an extra few thousand to spend, think a Corvette's too big, don't mind that my 300 horses comes from a turbo 4 instead of a DI V6, am not a horsepower ***** who needs the highest number avalible regardless as to all other aspects of the car, and like the looks of the Solstice, that's where my $28-30 grand will go.

If I want a balenced handling, need a back seat on occasion, need something that resembles a trunk, want to get the most sophisticated car on the planet for under 25 grand, recognizes that 300 horsepower is still alot of horses (and remembers that LT1s put out less and LS1s a mere 30-40 horses more) and is still very quick, and a car that offers perhaps the highest value on the planet, not to mention likes the sinister styling of the new Camaro will buy the new Camaro.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:47 PM

Lots of info out on Soltice reliability.
Read it. I think the Camaro is going to be bullet proof (like the 4th gens) before it hits the street.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Silver2009
I think the Camaro is going to be bullet proof (like the 4th gens) before it hits the street.

The 4th gens bullet proof? While I will say the drive trains were awesome
in those cars, the rest of the car had many, many issues, not to mention all
the squeaks and rattles.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Your post is so wrong on so many levels.
He was just saying the Solstice Coupe was another car to consider. He did
not say the G8 GT would shame the V6 Camaro, he was talking about the
Solstice GXP if it got 300hp. This forum is brutal. People get thrashed
on any thread. I know, I know, I do my share of thrashing.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:03 PM

The 4th gens bullet proof? While I will say the drive trains were awesome
in those cars, the rest of the car had many, many issues, not to mention all
the squeaks and rattles.

Yeah I had to change an optispark and a window motor, but besides that, the the cars held up to the pounding that I gave them. Squeaks and rattles? Did you ever own a 2nd or a 3rd gen? Aside from adjusting the hatch jounces on 4th gens, they were Lexus compared to prior gen cars. Even my GTO had a weak weld squeek in the back.

I have high hopes that the 5th gen will continue the noise isolation curve.... I know that it will never be a Honda, and Thank God for that.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:12 PM

He was just saying the Solstice Coupe was another car to consider. He did
not say the G8 GT would shame the V6 Camaro, he was talking about the
Solstice GXP if it got 300hp. This forum is brutal. People get thrashed
on any thread. I know, I know, I do my share of thrashing.

lol no problem, and yes thats what i was saying but you all make great points. Yet at the end of the day its great to see GM two great cars with great engines
it will really help out GM. In my case if i cant get a camaro V6 wit the RS package at launch its gonna be the solstice coupe or a used corvette.

and yes the 4th gen window motors and other interior parts suck. I have replaced the motors 3 times since i got it. hope the 5th gen is quality all around
Old 08-18-2008, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

2. You are taking a a GXP G8, the top of the line $35K high performance sedan and saying it will shame a V6 $22-25K Camaro as if ever Camaro that rolls off the assembly line should match F16s for acceleration.
No, he isn't. The OP made no comparisons between the G8 and Camaro. His post was entirely about Solstice GXP vs V6 Camaro.

But as far as a Solstice GXP versus a V6 Camaro, if I can go without a back seat, need fuel economy, have an extra few thousand to spend, think a Corvette's too big, don't mind that my 300 horses comes from a turbo 4 instead of a DI V6, am not a horsepower ***** who needs the highest number avalible regardless as to all other aspects of the car, and like the looks of the Solstice, that's where my $28-30 grand will go.

If I want a balenced handling, need a back seat on occasion, need something that resembles a trunk, want to get the most sophisticated car on the planet for under 25 grand, recognizes that 300 horsepower is still alot of horses (and remembers that LT1s put out less and LS1s a mere 30-40 horses more) and is still very quick, and a car that offers perhaps the highest value on the planet, not to mention likes the sinister styling of the new Camaro will buy the new Camaro.
Thanks for telling us. Your spelling and grammar aside, I'm not sure what, if anything, those two paragraphs did to contribute to this thread.

EDIT: I just re-read what I wrote. I guess I'm a bit of a dick today.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:58 PM
djn

Its a chicks car nothing wrong with it if your a chick.

Quick Reply: 2010 Camaro V6 vs 09 Solstice Coupe